Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:02 PM   #81
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
I am never in a hurry when I'm on vacation. I set the cruise at 60 and watch the world go by.

Truck will pull it however fast I think I need to go, but I am a fuel mileage hawk so that's what makes my decision most of the time.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #82
miton 5052
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21569
I spent 45 yrs And 4.5 million miles as a professional driver, I still keep to the right, except to pass,and use common sense and patience, go easy on the throttle,easy on fuel. Been full time since May of 2017, we try to only do bat 300 miles, that way we're set up for cocktail hrs, sometimes we stay another day if we like it, just don't need to hurry anymore. Travel safe and enjoy
Old 07-08-2018, 10:00 PM   #83
papasiemers
Established Member

M.O.C. #18345
Towing Speed

I've found that I get the best mileage at around 1700 rpm's on my Duramax. That said, that puts me between 58 and 62. Better wear and tear on the rig and the wife's nerves. We aren't full time, but we are retired and don't need to rush anywhere. Always leave plenty of time to get where we are going.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:19 PM   #84
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patyacht View Post
Most trailer tires if not all are rated ST. Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings. Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions. Additionally every state has a Trailer Speed limit which may or may not be posted. Most state trailer speed limits run between 55 to 65 mph. No state has a trailer speed limit above 65 just for general information. My opinion is if you are going to run over 65mph get LT rated tires. Just my .02. Check out this link: http://www.doityourselfrv.com/state-towing-speeds/
I don’t believe this is correct. I know for a fact that here in Oregon, the maximum towing speed limit is 60 NOT 65 as per the article (just changed this year from 55). States with dual speed limits clearly say on the signs “trucks and vehicles towing”. States with single speed limits (like Nevada) just Post the speed limit and it applies to ALL vehicles. Utah allows trucks (and RVs) to go 80 or 85 in some areas! Towing an TT or 5er, the truck speed limit applies. Here is the correct info.
https://www.truckercountry.com/truck.../speed-limits/
Old 07-08-2018, 11:17 PM   #85
Briarglenn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6613
Totally with you. First year out, I tried to stay with the trucks. Wife and I did not converse for 3 mos. I'm not gaining time at 70, but am at 60-65 and actually feel better 12 years later.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:28 AM   #86
Tbrace7

M.O.C. #21724
Truck driver hell.

I was awarded a truck drivers license by the US Army in 1971, before CDLs were mandated. I've driven some crazy loads in strange places. But the worst of the RVers out there are the ones that get out of the right lane and drag their feet under the speed of the flow of traffic and impeding everyone. Get in the slow lane if you are slow! Company trucks are governed at 72mph for a reason : fuel economy. Keep up with them and get out of the way. Your little 22,000 lbs is tinkertoy play for the pros. Be as considerate of the big guys as you are for the texting millennials that are out to kill us all. Tires are the limiting factor mechanically, driver skill level is the mental limit. Seeing a retired 70+yo Cubicle Dwelling Prius driver behind the wheel of a huge class A pulling a toad, going 55 in a 70 in the rain is scary. Im a retired driver/ mechanic that believes in requiring licenses for the size of the vehicle is the way to go. And, yes, I do pull my 5er at posted limits, but I'm set up to do it.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:34 AM   #87
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I’m happy for you retired folks that have all the time in the world to reach your destination. I hope to join you in a few years. If you want to drive 50mph on an interstate in the right hand lane and only travel 100 miles per day more power to ya and have at it. Just remember there are still good, hard working folks with limited vacation time and doctors that are headed to the hospital to take care of your grandchild. So stay the heck in the slow lane please!!

Fuel mileage? While towing a 5th wheel? Seriously??? Ha ha ha ha.....And that from folks with high end $$ campers??

I will be the guy driving with the FLOW of traffic within reason while trying to maintain a good stopping cushion. And I won’t be doing any long haul trips till I am comfortable with the condition of my equipment!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
Old 07-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #88
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrace7 View Post
I was awarded a truck drivers license by the US Army in 1971....

Company trucks are governed at 72mph for a reason : fuel economy....

Seeing a retired 70+yo Cubicle Dwelling Prius driver behind the wheel of a huge class A pulling a toad, going 55 in a 70 in the rain is scary...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Fuel mileage? While towing a 5th wheel? Seriously??? Ha ha ha ha.....And that from folks with high end $$ campers??
You, sir (Tbrace7) have been away from trucking for too long. Company trucks governed at 72 MPH are a rare exception, not the rule. Most are 65 or under. Mine is 62. The reason is fuel economy! It takes HP to go fast, agreed? Fuel is needed to make HP. I get the best fuel mileage in our fleet driving 57 MPH (in the right lane minding my own business!) Summertime fuel mileage averages 8 MPG with a 5 axle rig pulling a 53' drop deck van. Other drivers in are fleet that drive on the governor (62) average a scant 6.5 MPG. That is HUGE money to a fleet doing 10 million miles a year.

And (mtlakejim) in my own pickup pulling my $11,00 Montana (I bought it used) I average 13 MPG pulling it around at 60 MPH with my old '98 Dodge/Cummins (has been paid in full for 16 years) I can't tell you what that would drop to if I drove the 75 MPH limit in my state, but I guarantee you IT WOULD DROP significantly. I bet it would drop to 9 MPG. On a small 500 mile round trip vacation at todays diesel prices, that's $166 vs. $115. The $50 savings would by a couple of cases of my favorite liquid refreshments, but I do lose an hour and a half sitting at the campfire at the end of the day.

As for throwing the 70+ crowd under the bus... You likely fit into that category yourself. Anyone who sees you do something that they see as unsafe driving might be throwing you into the same category as the "Cubicle Dwelling Prius driver" that you throw others into.

I'm still on the road every day, and of course get passed hundreds of times on I-94. I have seen it all in my 37 years on the road. A good share of the stupid mistakes or all out careless driving are made by other truck drivers. I report the most agreejes ones if I get the company name, and for the last 9 months I have video to send their safety directors if they want it. I see little that makes me nervous about the driving habits of the RV drivers, of all sizes that causes any concern. Your average commuter pulling nothing is my biggest concern.

I do agree with you that there should be some sort of formal training for people getting into something that is bigger and trickier to drive than what they are used to, but I don't know how to reconcile that as I think the government has too much control in our lives as it is (in the name of tax revenue) and in my part of the country ANYONE can drive a 80,000 GVW semi on a regular old auto drivers license so long as the truck has farm plates on it. That is scary, but that is a discussion somewhere else.

So, chill out on your fellow RV'ers. The majority are good people and careful drivers just out having a good time and enjoying each others company!
Old 07-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #89
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I read in Motor Trend several years ago to double your speed it takes 8 times the power. I had a car when I was young that would go 108 and couldn’t understand why it wouldn’t go 120 now I know. I simply ran out of power. That is why it takes more fuel the faster you go. You are overcoming air drag and friction.
If you don’t mind dumping extra fuel in your truck and I don’t, drive as fast as you think is safe.
Lynwood
Old 07-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #90
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Safety is our #1 concern for ourselves and others.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #91
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle and Lisa View Post
Safety is our #1 concern for ourselves and others.
As well it should be!!

Only question that leaves would be are you safer going with the flow of traffic at 70 or stubbornly adhering to some self imposed arbitrary speed below that?? I for one think you would in most situations be safer going with the flow of traffic.... For certain there are dangers on both sides of the spectrum
Old 07-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #92
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If the flow of traffic is 80 MPH We will not be in it. We do 62/65 and note that the majority of Company 18 Wheeler's are right there with us.We do see some scary RV things on the road.TT's being pulled with improper hook up equipment. Big 5th wheels being pulled with small trucks and by far excessive speed.

The 4 wheeler is the scariest.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #93
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
If the flow of traffic is 80 MPH We will not be in it. We do 62/65 and note that the majority of Company 18 Wheeler's are right there with us.We do see some scary RV things on the road.TT's being pulled with improper hook up equipment. Big 5th wheels being pulled with small trucks and by far excessive speed.

The 4 wheeler is the scariest.
Guess I need to add the disclaimer “within reason” every time I say go with the FLOW of the traffic???? It is highly unlikely you will find me towing at over 70 myself. But as you suggested, that is likely where you will find most good truckers running and on a 4 lane it is unlikely you would be impeding traffic if cruising at close to 70 in the right lane.

Similarly when I am talking going with the flow of traffic I am actually talking about finding a space in the traffic where you can float with a good cushion all the way around you. Don’t drive so fast that you end up tailgating or so slow that others run up on you. Anyone who has spent time on the interstate doing long hauls understands this basic safe driving concept.

My point is we should be less concerned about our speed “within reason” than where we are in the traffic mix. Setting some arbitrary speed limit is just silly. The difference between running say 62 with folks running over you from behind and running 70 and having people gradually approach you from behind ought to be fairly obvious! Granted not much you can do about the hot rodders doing 90.

All this taking into account adjustments based on traffic, road and weather conditions of course. Plus the limitations of your rig.

BUT MOST OF ALL DISPELLING THE IDEA THAT DRIVING EXCEEDINGLY SLOW IS SAFE! Sometimes it’s not!!
Old 07-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #94
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I think I'm going to get some more pop corn now
Happy Trails
Old 07-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #95
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I see people towing at high speeds all the time. Not long after that I see then on the side of the road with a blown tire. Goodyear Marathon (and most load range E trailer tires) are speed rated for 65 mph. Load range G trailer tires such as the Goodyear G614 are speed rated at 75 mph. I have G614s and I drive a self-imposed max of 65 mph. That said, I don't worry about it if I hit 70 mph on a down grade.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #96
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
As well it should be!!

Only question that leaves would be are you safer going with the flow of traffic at 70 or stubbornly adhering to some self imposed arbitrary speed below that?? I for one think you would in most situations be safer going with the flow of traffic.... For certain there are dangers on both sides of the spectrum
It's common sense to go with the flow of traffic but not in excess of 70mph when pulling a 13'6 H x 40' L rig. I always use the right hand lane when possible.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #97
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle and Lisa View Post
It's common sense to go with the flow of traffic but not in excess of 70mph when pulling a 13'6 H x 40' L rig. I always use the right hand lane when possible.
Sounds good to me. Pass the popcorn
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #98
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Must be all 'mericans' replying to this thread.....for us Canucks....i go with 90....km/hr.

Graham
so those real slow pokes are from Canada!!!
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
Old 07-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #99
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Here in Va at mile marker 130 to 140 or so on I 81 a speeding ticket will cost you from $300 to say about $5,000. It’s a safety corridor be careful.
One guy got caught at over 100 MPH and his ticket was over $5,000. He got mad wrote a letter to the editor and said he wasn’t coming back. What a shame. We sure going to miss him.
Lynwood
About 10 years ago in WV I was ticked for 101 in a 70. Much cheaper there at $160. No trailer of course! No trailer of course...
Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #100
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
My speed is preferred to be 63 - 68. What determines speed at any time is keeping a safe space between me and the vehicle in front of me.

I live on the NC coast and we have a lot of tourons, half tourist, half moron. Many are from a few NE states and then they decide to actually move here. We should have a tariff on them.
Closed Thread