Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2009, 02:42 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Boston, MA area

Anyone have personal knowledge of any of these CG's in the Boston Area:, Boston Minuteman CG, Littleton, MA; Normandy Farms, Foxboro, MA; Circle CG Farm Campground, Bellingham, MA; Pine Acres Family Camping Resort, Oakham, MA; Sunsetview Farm Camping Area, Monson, MA; Oakhaven, Wales, MA; OR Fourth Cliff Recreation Area, Hanscom AFB, Humarock, MA?????????

We will be in this area Aug 18th to Sept 6-7th and looking for a place to base out of to see this area. Anyone have any other suggestions???? Thanks as always.....

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
We stayed at the Boston Minuteman CG in 2007 so checked my notes ... "Very nice park. Heavily wooded. Nice sized sites, good spacing between sites. This site (30) a little tricky to get in…trees and a big rock to avoid. Free wifi, good cable." Although our site was tricky to get into, the trees and rocks made a nice "patio area." We really enjoyed this cg. However, the satellite radio didn't like all the trees in the cg .

We loved Boston, one of those places where we wanted to see and do everything!!!

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Talk with JimF. He has stayed at Hanscom AFB Fam Camp just last year.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Normandy Farms, Foxboro, MA is very nice high end place...pricey tho, Circle CG Farm Campground not as fancy but was good place...stayed there many years ago.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Pine acres is a dump,sunsetview is wooded but everyone seems to like it, I live 10 miles away from sunsetfarms in monson ,there is 2 in monson I forgot the name off hand. I don't camp in these areas cause I live in this area and am spoiled by Myrtle beach and Hiton head,sc.
You are not going for a while I can snif around for you ..stay away from YOGI in STURBRIDGE MASS UNLESS YOU ARE WHITE TRASH.AND LIKE WEEK END BEER PARTYS...[and small sites]....let me know what KIND of place you are acustomed[sp] to.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
Boy, are you on target about Yogi, Sturbridge, Mass. What a dump. Here all along we thought it was just us. Jon and Mary
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
CMP-shooter, Thanks for the Good 411 on those parks. We don't do Upscale nor do we do totally cheap. Since we will be there for three weeks we would like 50 amp (not an absolute though), with Full hook ups and a little room to stretch out. Other than a clean facility, laundry and restrooms, we don't need a lot of amenities, in fact, not many at all. My sister has a 34ft 5er and we have a 3400 Montana. Any suggestions would be appreciated...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
I know you didn't mention Rhode Island, but if you get down that way be sure to try and stay at Fisherman's Memorial Park, down by the Block Island ferry. It's only 20 minutes from Newport, RI, and spend a few days touring Newport. Take the mansion tour - it is impressive - pricey, but worth it. As far as CG's in Newport, there is only one that I would consider and it is at "2nd Beach." NO pets.

When do you plan on being in Mass? We'll be up there sometime in the next couple months.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:23 AM   #9
Gumby56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6290
Phil & Cathy,

We live in the area and have gotten to quite a few of these:

Boston Minuteman CG- Never Went
Normandy Farms- We went last weekend. We go a couple time a year. It is a great campground exspecially when the weather is not great. They have one in door and 3 our door pools, a large ski lodge like recreation center, and good playgrounds. If you are going this time of year go online and print the 25% off coupon. It is about 40 minutes out of Boston by car with no traffic but there is a commuter rail station a couple minutes up the road at Gillette Stadium. It is also close to the Cape and RI. Sits in the middle of the 3.
Circle CG Farm Campground- Never Went
Pine Acres Family Camping Resort- Another great pick. Very nice in summer. Outdoor water park which is good for the kids and nice sites. It is hard to get in during the summer as it is popular. It is over an hour out of Boston in the westerm part fo the state. If you are touring the area it may not be the best local.
Sunsetview Farm Camping Area- Never Been
Oakhaven- This campground is nice but is a lot more basic than Pine Acres or Normandy. They have an outdoor pool and not much else. The owners are very, very nice. They are in the Western part of the state. They are close to Sturbridge. It is abour 1.5 hour from boston, 2 hours from the Cape.
Fourth Cliff Recreation Area- Never Been
Hanscom AFB- I have a friends stationed there but we have never seen the campground. If it is nice I would go with that to tour Boston. It is a forrest area that is about 20 minutes (no traffic) to down town.

I would also add Wompatuck if you are looking to do Boston. It is a State Park and only has 15 AMP power and no water at the sites. No swimming but it is kind of cool as it in a WWII era weapons depot that was hidden as hills in the woods. It is minutes from a commuter rail station and is a bout 30 minutes (no traffic) to Boston. It is about 30 minutes to the Cape. It is cheap as it is state park but would be a great launching point if you did not plan to spend a lot of time in the campground. I have a 35 foot unit and can get into site F14.

Please let us know if we can help in any way. Nice to hear folks comming up north!!
Gumby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #10
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We live a short distance from Minuteman Campground. If you like the history of the beginnings of the American Revolution and the battles at Concord and Lexington it would be a great campground to park at. It is also pretty easy access to Boston (about 30 road miles). We have not stayed in the park but we have visited folks who have and found it to be clean, friendly and convenient but heavily wooded. The sites are large and the best ice cream place in North America is only a couple of miles down the street. :-)
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Don't try Fourth Cliff, we also have a 3400 and there are only 2 sites that will accomodate it, also it's a long way to Boston. We tried Normandy Farms, like everyone said, nice but price prohibitive. We stay at Hanscom FamCamp for most summers, sites are gravel have a patio, table, etc., it's military so low bid is the key. It is close to B-town and easy access to the T. We like it and the BX and Commassary, price is right, oh, they have very clean facilities.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ditto on Minuteman and Fishermen's. Although site 30 was tough to get into at Minuteman it was a logistics problem only. They had a guy out there to help all of us back into our sites. This guy talked me into it perfectly while walking beside the driver's window. He sure knew what he (and I) were doing. It was a beautiful site. We really liked that park.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
We have stayed at Minuteman CG and concur with previous comment. We drove to the metro stop near Concord and took the metro into Boston. Very convenient and takes the hassle out of driving in the city. The only problem was the congestion near the traffic circles getting to the metro stop.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote