Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
sabeaulieu
Established Member

M.O.C. #8582
awnings

Has anyone had a problem with the awning on the 2007 series 3400 montana ? Our awning tends to get hooked on the hand grip near the door if you do not push the handle in .It also tends to go up uneven.

sabeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have the same rig and have not experienced anything like that. One thing I will point out though is that when you are letting the awning retract (roll up) the location of the black strap is important. It should be in the center of the awning roller (I have to hold the roller after switching the roller direction and walk the black strap to the middle). I did have on instance when the awning rolled up a little uneven and had about a 1/2" slack area at the front of the rig. This is particularly hazardous since the wind can catch it and unfurl the awning when the rig is in motion. To remedy it, I extended the awning again and when retracting I walked the black roll-up strap a little farther towards the door and the difference in tension to the roller tightened up the front to where it was evenly taut on both ends. This tells me that the location you are holding the strap when retracting is important to insure that the awning rolls up evenly and straight. Hope this helps.
Bingo
on edit: And WELCOME to the forum!!!

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The only time I had a problem is when I released the awning lever on the support and did not put it back down. It was sticking up and tore the rubber off the hand rail. It also did not retract well after the "jam-up." Dealer fixed all.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I have had the same problem with the awning not rolling up evenly causing the support not being lined up. It took a little while but I found the solution, at least for me. Before you start the rollup process check to see if the awning fabric is spaced evenly on the roller. By that I mean, ensure the ends of the awning are equidistant from the ends of the roller. Pulling on the fabric at the end furthest from the roller end will help center the fabric. The awning will then roll up as it should. It's a simple fix and costs nothing. Hope this helps.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We had the same problem and HamCamper's suggested solution worked for us as well.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote