Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Well, it was my turn.........

Yes, it was my turn to do something stupid!

We had to move the Monty a short distance tonight. We had it parked in the driveway next to the house where there is 30 amp service, for company we had a few weeks ago and never moved it back to the pole barn where there is no 30 amp yet because, well, it's still hot and we need the AC and when it's parked there we call it our Master Suite and say everyday that we need to go back to sleeping in the house! Dan's Mom and her husband have been traveling around for about a month in their Class C and are going to stop here to visit on their way home to Florida Friday night for the weekend. So, we had to move. But the good news, is that it's cooling down in the 60's at night now, so it will be Great sleeping weather out there!

I thought of a post not too long ago about the possibilty of moving a short distance with the slides out & I think my reply was that it was no big deal, just move stuff out of the way, put the slides in and put stuff back in place. Well, since it was SO easy I had it all done in record time! Should have known with my cocky attitude that I forgot something. I did. Did I mention that the electric wires to the house are just over the Monty when it sits in the driveway? Yes, well, under normal circumstances, the antenna is ALWAYS the very first thing I take care of inside. Dan was able to bend the one side of it back where it was and it still works just fine. Sure am glad that antenna bent so easy, because we very well could have pulled down our electric line! OMG, can't think about it anymore!
So, even if your moving to the next space, go ahead and do everything you normally do inside, just so that you keep up with your routine, it does not take that long. [:O][:O]

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I think most of us have left the antenna up at some point in time, mine was about 12 years ago in New Hampshire, once was enough.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Good advice. Glad you weren't "shocked" by it all.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Lisa,

I am glad to hear this situation turned out as well as it did! Thank God you and your husband are safe.
Be careful, ok.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Glad that all is well and no damage was done. I am sure that most of us have a similar story. I bet that was the first and last time that happens to you.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Lisa, glad it was minor, so easy to do.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:19 AM   #7
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Had the same issue a couple of years ago, except we backed our Monty into Karen's girlfriend Suzie's driveway. It was dark when we got there and were in a hurry. Luckily Suzie was watching and yelled at me to stop. Only had the electrical lines over half the Monty. When we left, I had to get on the roof with a broom and lift the line so we could get out of the driveway. Once is enough, now I always look for the lines when we park at someone's house.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:00 AM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Glad things was not damaged too much. We have all done that stuff. Not long ago I was just going to move my unit back 2 feet. I did not unhook the electrical. The tire caught the cord and torn the plug out of the back of the unit.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have one of those orange-glow signs with a clamp on it that attaches to the trim of the antenna interior controls. Well, the first time we deployed the antenna, I put up the orange-glow sign. No biggie, right? My DW who does the inside didn't understand the reason for the sign (my fault) and pulled in the slides.

I was about to move the 5er, but during my walk-around (that I always do) I noticed the antenna still up. I went inside and saw the orange-glow sign resting on top of the bedroom slide, still attached to the interior antenna controls. I lowered the antenna and carefully explained the reason for the orange-glow sign. My DW, rightly so, said you didn't tell me before!

Now, we have added this to our mental checklists...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #10
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
I don't think I'll ever forget again.
Great replys from everyone.
Good to know I'm not alone.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Been advised to put a regulator on the faucet no matter what! Had a friend at an RV campground that had an SOB camper come in and park about five sites down. He hooked up his hose to the SOB and then to the faucet and turned it on. The pressure was so high that the hose broke the connection off to the SOB and started whipping around like a wild snake. Before he got it turned off hit had nailed his unit and the units on both sides of him. I guess the units looked like they had been hit by a really bad hail storm. Guess who's insurance had to pay for the repairs of the three units! It sure wasn't the campground!!! Better be safe than sorry!!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #12
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Good post Rondo! I just asked Dano it we always use the regulator and he said not at all campgrounds. I asked how did he know which ones were safe and he said that he checked them. So naturally I asked how did he check them, and he said he turned on the water and if it really shot out hard, he put on the regulator. Hmmmm..........
I think I'm going to add that to my "mental checklist"!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #13
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
been there, done that. our antenna has survived, despite us! a bit battered and has a few unique dents in it, but it works. we added it to "the list" for both of us just to make sure.
mamashappy is offline   Reply With Quote