Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2007, 02:53 AM   #1
Montana_6800

M.O.C. #6800
Snow & Ice on slide roof

Do any of you have "tricks" for removing snow and ice from the roof of the slide before retracting? Slide-top awnings --- do they help or hinder?

Montana_6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:32 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Grizzlygiant, we have the slide toppers so I can't help you with snow and ice removal. With the toppers, we've had up to 12 inches of snow on them and also sheets of ice, at various times. The only hint I can offer, if you have the toppers, is to stand out of the way while the slides are retracting. Falling sheets of ice could do nasty things to my body.

Without the toppers I would think you would need to remove all the ice and snow or the slide will not fully retract. Maybe someone with experience with this situation will confirm or contrast that statement.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:36 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think the best solution is to go south during the winter so you don't have to worry about that problem!

Welcome to the forum!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:02 AM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I had ice on my slide roof unfortunately...here in MN it is deep in the throws of winter. My rv parks next to the garage and the slide just scoots under the edge of the garage roof. It was a nice day out, so I went out to do some modding. Maybe it was a little too nice as the house roof began to drip onto the slide and I didn't notice it. When I was done for the day, I tried to pull the slide in and the ice that had formed hit the slide seal...
No way to pull that ice off as it had frozen back down rather nicely.
Thinking I was now stuck for the remainder of the cold season, I cut some insulating foam and put it over the slide roof, threw heat to the inside of the slide thinking I could get it right off with the heat loss. Wrong again...
Fortunately, some warmer weather hit and with some water was able to clear the ice. Lesson learned here...don't mess with ice.
Slide toppers have to be a huge help in this area...I'm sure they have their drawbacks too, but getting ice off that slide roof is no picnic.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:17 AM   #5
Montana_6800

M.O.C. #6800
I am wondering if, after brushing off the snow, if ice-melting pellets such as used on sidewalks would work??? Or maybe the spray we use on windshields to remove ice? It sounds like the consensus is that awning toppers are not the complete answer.
Montana_6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:02 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grizzlygiant

I am wondering if, after brushing off the snow, if ice-melting pellets such as used on sidewalks would work??? Or maybe the spray we use on windshields to remove ice? It sounds like the consensus is that awning toppers are not the complete answer.
I wouldn't use any kind of chemical on the slide roof. It may have a reaction with the material the roof is made of and, further, it may eat at the slideout seal.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:23 AM   #7
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
grizzlygiant

We got caught in a storm in OK. in Dec. the ice & snow was about four inches thick on the slides, used a garden hose to the city water, and washed it down. I have found that works the best.

Larry
Old 02-15-2007, 01:12 PM   #8
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I have between 6 and 7 inches of ice and snow on mine right now and I'm sure mine wouldn't budge, but I ain't going any place anytime soon. I hope you have good results in removing yours. Good Luck!
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:56 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Grizzlygiant, do those pellets have salt in them or other chemicals that might do bad things to the rubber on the slide roof or to its adhesion? Or that of the tape on the roof?

Slide toppers would probably solve nearly all the problem, possibly all of it. Their drawback is a little noise in gusty winds and their life expectancy when used fulltime like ours is three to four years. But they excel at keeping things off the slide roof. That includes ice, snow, water, leaves, etc. I have never had to do anything to prep our slide roofs to be retracted. Not ever. We've had the toppers since January 2001 and have been fulltiming since March 2003.

That said, it is probably possible for the wind to blow some snow under the topper ends. I've never had that happen, at least not enough that I've ever noticed and not enough to create a problem. But I didn't live in Michigan, either. We spend November and December in Kansas City. The most snow we've had there at one time is 12 inches, during our fulltiming years there. We've had sheet ice on the toppers and it just rolls off the edge of the toppers when the slides are retracted. Thus my comment about staying away from the slides as they retract.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:58 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SKOOBDO

dupliate post. sorry.
Skoobdo, you should see a trash can icon above the duplicate post. That deletes the post. Only you can delete it or I'd do it for you. Maybe a moderator could do it, too.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #11
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
Steve thanks for the feed back on the slide toppers. I too have them and was thinking that it would be ok to just bring the slide in regardless of the snow or ice.

Grizzlygiant, I hope you get the snow off OK.

-Dick
Gpa_Dick is offline   Reply With Quote