Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2007, 02:24 AM   #21
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
We've pretty much decided Jill is history ... with the way Steve likes to do things differently than she told him, she was constantly annoyed. Karen is easy on the ears and, everyone was right, she doesn't sound as annoyed when she has to recalulate. However, we're having to work on adjusting to the accent. Yesterday, as she was directing us to our RV park, she told us to turn right to "Cedarbrook Ah-v Pawk" ... what???????? After listening to her several times, we finally got it. As I said, this will take a little adjustment.

Oh, John ... if I wasn't "directionally challenged" (I can't read a map to save my life. But I'm a terrific map folder! ), Steve "might" listen to me.

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #22
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Karen, Jill.....?

Our Garmin goes by the name of Carmen.....funny thing is my husband listens to this other women more then he listens to me. And at times she stirs him wrong. Like when she took us to a KOA campground in Southern California, to only find that this KOA had closed down three years ago. Now hubby is back to listening to me...LOL.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #23
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have the Magellan 6000T and we call her Alice. I wanted to call her Maggie, but my DW stole me from a Maggie and she doesn't want to hear that name any longer (lol). Alice certainly has her own pesonality. Her most annoying command is "When able, make a legal U-turn". As if I could even attempt a U-turn with 40' of trailer behind me. Coming out of Sumas WA, the border crossing, she took me down a dead end street (shame on her). Fortunately there was a large circle at the end so I was able to "make a legal u-turn". We are still getting used to ours so we still carry the paper maps as back up. The only problem using it with campgrounds is that most do not have a street address. We have had to guestimate the numbers a few times.

My only wish is that she knew how big we are, maybe she would lead us differently sometimes.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil, you might check the preferences and settings. My Garmin has a setting to disallow uturns, among other things. I'd bet the Magellan does, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:30 AM   #25
1luckylady
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7321
This is a great thread. You have had me laughing thru all 3 pages. We are in the market for a gps and I believe we just might head to Sam's and check them out. Thanks for doing all the footwork on finding the cheapest prices on them.
1luckylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I plugged my gps into the laptop today and had Garmin's webupdater software check for updated software today. System software was current but there were some new voices. I got another American English - Jack. So now there's a Jack and Jill for American English. There's also a Lee for Australia, as well as Karen, and an Emily for British English as well as some others. I tried them all. Jack is pretty good but I like Karen's voice better.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
1luckylady, the cheapest prices are online. At least when I was looking. I bought mine from pc connections. There were cheaper places but I'd dealt with them before and trusted them.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:07 AM   #28
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I'll have to check for updates - Karen is the best so far - she is so much less irritating!

We got ours at Amazon.com.

Steve, has your GPS sent you out of the way. Ours has taken us off the road and back on - seems like just for the heck of it. I need to figure out way that is happening, but it's a bit scary when we're pulling the rig and she wants us to take residential streets.

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:50 AM   #29
1luckylady
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7321
Thanks for the headsup. I'll be checking on line for one. I'll let you know what we come up with!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I let Jack guide me today. He's not nearly so sexy as Karen and Jill, but his voice has excellent clarity and ease of understanding.

Jo-Anna, I've had that happen with the Garmin and with the Magellen I tried out. It also happened with the laptop using Street Altas (DeLorme) and Streets and Trips. What happens is taking the exit and then the onramp is the "shortest" or "quickest" route when that portion of freeway is on a curve.

There are some settings in the Garmin that might help, if I recall. Vicki is out shopping and the Garmin is in the truck so I can't check but I know Mapsource, whose routes upload to the Garmin, has a setting for "trucks." If you choose trucks instead of automobile, or whatever, it might keep you off some of those roads. On ours I also told it NO U-turns. And I have it set for the quickest route rather than the shortest. Then I go over the route at a zoom level where I can detect any of those anomalies. I don't find many but occasionally it happens. I don't do any of this on the Garmin. I do it in Mapsource on the laptop, then upload the routes and waypoints.

Here's a tip for you. I will sometimes plan out several routes in a single instance of mapsource. Then I'll want to copy one of those routes to a separate instance of mapsource. Just rightclick/copy on the route name in the routes panel. Open another instance of mapsource and in the same panel, rightclick/paste. It even brings forward the needed waypoints. You can copy waypoints the same way.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #31
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Thanks Steve, I'll try that. Another question is I created my "route" in mapsource and downloaded it to the Garmin but could not access the trip, when I selected "navigate route" nothing happened. Any suggestions?

Steve, you have been such a great resource to me, I appreciate all the help you have given us.

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:15 AM   #32
1luckylady
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7321
We got one. Its the Garmin 660. Got it online and have only used it once. Right now I have Jill on. I'll play with it more later. Thanks a bunch everyone!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jo-Anna, I've never had that happen. Try deleting it in the Garmin and downloading it again. Did you also download the waypoints? Downloading waypoints along with the routes is selected by defaults. I usually download the waypoints unless I aleady have them in the Garmin and sometime I do anyhow if I'm not sure if they're in the Garmin or not.

Congratulations, 1luckylady! I got Jack's voice and some others from the Garmin website. Check for updates for your model. That is how I found the additional voices. Jill is a good voice. She just sounds a bit annoyed sometimes when she has to recalculate!