Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Removing OEM Vinyl Flooring

While replacing the floor heat registers this week with modulating versions, had a good look at how the original carpet had faded and worn in 4 plus years use. That has to be about the cheapest grade carpet found.

The living area is half carpet and half vinyl. Removing the carpet is easy - a box or carpet cutter will do a great job and a pair of wire cutters pull the many staples.

OK, carpets removed (slide carpet stays) - now I'll need to remove that OEM vinyl which extends over 2 feet under the carpet. I can feel the end of it when I walk over it in my bare feet. Is that vinyl fully cemented down or is it a 'floating' version where only the edges are cemented (stapled?)? Or does it depend on when the 5er was built and our 2014 HC was built in mid 2013

We haven't decided on what kind of flooring product to use yet but will probably be one of the engineered material wood look floors. Picking it out - that's my DWs part of the project

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dave-- When they build the units the whole area is laid with vinyl and then the carpet is placed over top of it. There normally are a few spots where they glue it but it is mainly stretch and stapled to the flooring. If you have a center island or even an L-shaped one you will find that the OEM vinyl is even under it before they put the island in.
If you sign up for the Fall Rally which less than two months away, you will be able to see how this procedure comes about while touring the Montana plants. If you decide to join us you better hurry and sign up however because there are only two sites left of the original 200 spaces/sites. Great place to see and learn more about your Montana besides all the good food that we get to eat and the meeting of fellow Montana owners. Hope you'll join us! Check out the Registration thread here on the Forum and sign up!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #3
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
I would love to see pictures as you go. I will also be removing all the carpet later this fall and replacing with something else.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post

We haven't decided on what kind of flooring product to use yet but will probably be one of the engineered material wood look floors. Picking it out - that's my DWs part of the project
Dave I am confused. Are you not also DW?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Dave-- When they build the units the whole area is laid with vinyl and then the carpet is placed over top of it. There normally are a few spots where they glue it but it is mainly stretch and stapled to the flooring. If you have a center island or even an L-shaped one you will find that the OEM vinyl is even under it before they put the island in.
If you sign up for the Fall Rally which less than two months away, you will be able to see how this procedure comes about while touring the Montana plants. If you decide to join us you better hurry and sign up however because there are only two sites left of the original 200 spaces/sites. Great place to see and learn more about your Montana besides all the good food that we get to eat and the meeting of fellow Montana owners. Hope you'll join us! Check out the Registration thread here on the Forum and sign up!

On our HC, that flooring only goes a couple feet past the end of the carpet towards the back. You cfan actually feel the end and by picking the carpet up at the aft register hole can see only wht looks like luan plywood. It is under the kitchen 'L' shaped counter though. In the bed room, you can also feel the end of the vinyl under the carpet - and a nice thing since I removed a section of it at the bath room door landing when I rebuilt the uneven step risers.

The Rally - I had a senior moment (week?) on dates and we will be in either Main or Prince Edward Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Dave I am confused. Are you not also DW?

Nope, Jeff, not here or to the best of my recollection on any other forums though as I mentiond above about senior moments .....(or maybe CRS)
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
My friend just installed wood planks from Lowe's in his 2014 3400RL. For that year the vinyl floor went to the heat register on the far end of the island. He learned this by pulling the register and lifting the edge of the carpet(where the register pokes through) when he was planning the project.
Keystone must have decided to save on vinyl on that model/year. Maybe all models since?
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #7
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
My 2014 3402rl had the vinyl extend just past the rear island register as well. We replaced from the island back with a “Lifeproof” planks from Home Depot and it is awesome and so... easy to lay down. I put a couple screws on the edges at the slides so it wouldn’t move. Been perfect so far!
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote