Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
kevin50
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16108
slide damaged the floor

Has anyone had the floor damaged from the slide room, I have a 3582 (I think)and the road side slide made a Hugh gouge in the vinyl floor. Anyone had this happen, did you come up with a solution to fix the floor and how did you fix the slide to make no more damage. Thanks all

kevin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Not uncommon, normally because the slide is out of adjustment. Slide adjustment not difficult. Have never had to replace flooring.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
As Mike has said, this seems to be problem with the slide being out of adjustment. Some have had problems with the floor being damaged because something had gotten under the slide as it was brought in or put out and the slide rolled up over the top of it and has stayed under it also. You might what to check this also.
You didn't mention what year your 3582 is. How old of a unit is it? If it is still under warranty or an extended warranty, this could help with the repair.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
kevin50
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16108
sorry, it is a 2015 just out of warranty and I thin I am better off trying to make the floor appearance better on my own than let the "dealer" experts repair it. Its just a scratch about 8 maybe 10" long but under the wood grain on the vinyl it is white. I also found the culprit, seems a staple or nail or some type of meatal fastener had worked its way out a little, I am going to try and see if I can remove it. Not much space as I can only feel it with the slide part way retracted. Speaking of slide adjustment is the slide supposed bottom supposed to "slide" on top of the floor or is it supposed to keep the inner most edge up so it is not resting on the flooring surface. thanks
Old 05-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
We had the underpayment material fuse itself to the carpet. Hot weather 115 heat caused that black material to melt and glued itself to bedroom carpet. Pulled carpet and trim off floors and walls. Keystone fixed it after some serious letter writing. Also found slide was out of adjustment and allowed material to touch carpet. Document with lots photos...
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:59 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Something as small as a un popped kernel of popcorn under the slide can cause damage to the floor.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #7
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Ditto what Rich said as our dealer lost a AA battery under the door side slide. No problems for almost a year than it got I yo the perfect position to do damage a damage it did. It could have been worse but it still sucks to have damage to your floor.

A buddy had major damage to his SOB tearing his floor. It can and does happen.

Tom. Marty
Old 05-31-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
kevin50
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16108
thanks for all your input
Old 11-24-2016, 07:43 AM   #9
Slympicins

M.O.C. #15719
We have a 2015 3791RD where the dinette slide floor is being gouged by something. Took it to our local RV repair folks (never the dealer) and they discovered the screw heads that held the Teflon rub plate on the inside floor, were never counter sunk. Therefore the heads eventually started scraping the bottom of the slide room coming in and out. The repair was to remove each screw and countersink the hole and reset the screw.
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Keven50 I damaged my floor with one of those cooking spoon holders it fell off the counter when we traveled, and when the slide was opened it lodged itself under the kitchen slide broke in half then cut a 4 inch cut in the venal flooring. to repair it I cleaned the cut area top and bottom, the bottom is very important to clean and sorta dig it out a little below so when the epoxy or flooring glue wont cause the venal flooring to protrude above the floor grade. I used wax paper to put over the repair so it wouldn't stick to the piece of flat iron then I put a 45 lb. weight until the epoxy dried, the cleaned the repair. I also used venal seam repair to help hide the cut.
so far it has held up for 3 years but it is now showing the need to get another repair.
good luck on you new project.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:49 AM   #11
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
My slide is gouging my vinyl floor, and it is under warrantee. Keystone has denied it 3 times, stating the CW is not supplying them with what caused the issue. Something is doing it cause its getting worse, and it is not something stuck in there so its about to get ugly cause I want it fixed. Its a simple repair , I feel keystone just wants to deny every thing in hopes it will disappear ( I have been fighting them with several warrantee issue). Prob going to be the last Keystone product I but. I never had issues like this at all with my Grand Designs..
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:23 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
CW needs to supply Keystone with the cause of the problem simple as that.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We have friends with a MH. They purchased some type protectors that you lay on the floor and the slide rollers run up on the protectors as they come in. No more scratched floors...sorry, don't have a link.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ed, you need to contact Keystone Customer Service yourself. I've known to many owners that have said their CW has contacted Keystone on a problem and Keystone has no record of any contact what so ever! I've seen numerous posts here on the Forum where CW's and other dealers have not actually called Keystone. They just don't want to mess with the problem or the warranty work. Also Keystone does not pay the service fees that most dealers charge and the dealers do not want to take a lower rate for service and repairs.

Get your VIN# off your unit and call Keystone Customer Service and ask if they have had any service contacts about your unit. Don't demand anything and don't get nasty with the customer service rep because that will just turn them off and you won't accomplish anything. Explain the problem and ask them to please open a file on your unit, if there is not one open yet. Once this is done, then go to your CW and give them your file #(if Keystone will give it to you)for your unit and have them contact Customer Service Warranty Division to get things rolling on your problem.

It sounds like your slide is out of adjustment or something has gotten under it to cause the gouge. It does not take much under the slide to cause this. A crew may have gotten under it or anything else to cause the problem also. To repair the gouge, you can go under the base cabinets and there is flooring under them you can cut out and use for repairing the floor or there is covering behind the basement wall also that can be used for repair. When they build the units, they cover the whole main floor with flooring and then build on top of it leaving all the extra under the raised part of the upper floor. This area is a little more difficult to get flooring from because all of the water pipes and wiring run all over it going to the various areas of the unit.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with. We have a 2013 3582 and really like it and it's floor plan. To bad they have discontinued that specific model at this time.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #15
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
I have already contacted Keystone directly,. and I get they need a cause of the issue. CW wants to remove the slide to try and find the cause, and keystone is denying that as well. So not only is the repair getting denied, but the apparent steps to find the cause is as well, which is why im getting frustrated. I know how to make the repair. I actually had one of my kids matchbox cars get lodged under the slide, so I have to cut a piece from inside a cabinet, and make the repair, which came out great. This one, however, is something on the slide doing it. its all under warrantee, so those 2 need to work together better to figure it out. Hell, if they want to give me a piece of flooring, ill repair this one as well, but I need whatever is causing the issue fixed first, otherwise its not going to work. I am well aware of the services woes at CW, but I have to say, at least in my opinion, they are trying on this one, its Keystone making it difficult...and I know that because I have called them, and call them currently each week, trying to get everything moving forward. I shouldn't have ot do this on a brand new rig..I have been very nice to keystone, and never demand3ed anything, and they are nice back, but the bottom line is nothing is getting repaired on my unit, this has been in since October, and im loosing patience.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ed-- Email on it way to you from me!
Old 12-27-2016, 04:03 AM   #17
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Thanks, info and details sent. Much appreciated
Old 12-27-2016, 01:17 PM   #18
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
We had some pebbles get under the slide and it ripped the vinyl flooring when we moved the slides out. The dealer repaired the floor and said they adjusted the slide but I didn't see any difference. The way the slide tips when it slides in and out there is very little clearance. We now make sure we sweep and vacuum under the slide before we bring the slides in. So far no repeat problems but Im sure its only a matter of time.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:42 AM   #19
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
my issue is there is nothing under the slide and the dealer cant locate what is going on, so keystone denies. Its just a big headache I would not expect that from such a large company
Old 01-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Have the adjusted the slide.....that is if they know how to.