Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
NOT for Pine-sol as deodorizer Black Tank

This is a heads up. On one of these recent threads, it was suggested that Pine-sol be used as a deodorant in the black water tank. However in another thread in "MARS", "Additions & Improvements", "Something Good to Have Around", there is a technical write-up in "Marks Home Page" in Plumbing section (Water,Water Water...) that is very specific not to use Pine-sol because of likely damage to components. It sounds like from "Marks" experiences that this is a no-no. Just passing on to keep us out of potential problems in the future. (Assuming the accuracy of "Marks Technical Papers"). Anyone out there have any experience using Pine-sol in this application?

Jim

Jim & Marilyn Rang
2004 2500 CC Silverado SRW Duramax/Allison
2005 3650 Montana RK

jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
JIm,

My father used it a long time ago in a MH he had. Personally I did not think it worked (Charleston South Carolina in August). Let me tell you, the smell was obnoxious and I won't be using Pine Sol any time soon (like in probably never).

We don't even use toilet chemicals any more. Water and after a long spell at the state campgrounds (only electric hookups), we dump, flush a few times, dump again, add 4 to 5 gallons of water and Calgon and some laundry soap. Let agitate on the way home.

Nothing we have done or used in our toilet smelled as bad as that Pine Sol did. Been using RV toilets for 22 years and NOTHING smelled that bad!

As far as damaging toilet parts, could be, don't know, never gonna find out.

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Carol I agree. I hate the smell of pinesol. No way do I want MY Monty smelling like that. It burns my nose.
Happy trails...................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:57 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sue,

If you think it is bad straight, just add it to the black tank, when mixed with that, it smells WORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thumbs down on Pine-sol..We had forgot what it smelled like..Bought a bottle..oh boy...

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote