Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2017, 07:49 AM   #1
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Residential frigerator

Camping friend of mine just purchased new 3811 with residential refrigerator. He can't seem to turn off frig at the refrigerator. It is a Samsung. He turns it off at the inverter. Surely you can turn it off at refrigerator.
Another question. Front storage next to pump is a round what looks like a switch in the 12v lead to the inverter. You can turn it 90 degrees but it doesn't seem to do anything. At least it doesn't appear to turn refrigerator off. Also when on shore power do you still use the inverter or is it bypassed as an inverter shouldn't be needed.

psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Nope, I can't figure out how to turn off the fridge either. Nothing in the manual. You can either turn off the converter, switch off the kitchen circuit breaker that services the fridge or, I suppose, give Samsung a call.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
I also have the Samsung in mine. The easiest way to shut it off is to turn off the circuit breaker for the fridge. Samsung does not have a on off switch.
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Yes, you can turn it off. Hold the freezer button and at the same time hold the power freeze button. It will chime and the refer is off. Use the same process to turn it back on.

I turn it off after returning so that the refer can be left open and dry out. I'm typically plugged in to shore power so the refer on/off is a nice feature. Then I don't have to turn off an entire circuit.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
All inverter systems wiring should have a transfer switch that energizes when you plug into shore power thereby isolating the fridge power from the inverter. If the inverter has a builtin display, you will see the current draw to go to 0.0 amps.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Yes, you can turn it off. Hold the freezer button and at the same time hold the power freeze button. It will chime and the refer is off. Use the same process to turn it back on.

I turn it off after returning so that the refer can be left open and dry out. I'm typically plugged in to shore power so the refer on/off is a nice feature. Then I don't have to turn off an entire circuit.

Ken
Thank you so much for this needed info. We have had this unit for 18 mos. and have never figured out how to turn it off at the refrigerator controls. Nothing in manual. Called Keystone , talked to a very experienced tech, (his opinion), and he said to "just roll it out from the wall and unplug it like you do at home"!!!!! After I reminded him that it weighs about 500 lbs. and was bolted to the wall he started scrambling for answers and talked to a "real" tech who said to unplug it in the basement near inverter. been doing that since then. He was nearly correct.

This is why I monitor this site. There is always someone who "has been there-done that".
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
I just always unplugged the inverter in the basement when winterizing. kills the pass thru power to the fridge and turn the inverter off. In season I leave it running in my yard and keep it stocked for the next trip.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:04 AM   #8
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
[QUOTE=brenkco;1060281]Yes, you can turn it off. Hold the freezer button and at the same time hold the power freeze button. It will chime and the refer is off......../QUOTE]

Thanks for that. You'd think it would be in the manual. I'll try it next time we go out.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
[QUOTE=phillyg;1060415]
Quote:
Yes, you can turn it off. Hold the freezer button and at the same time hold the power freeze button. It will chime and the refer is off......../QUOTE]

Thanks for that. You'd think it would be in the manual. I'll try it next time we go out.
The only thing I found in the manual was how to turn off the ice maker so it would stop buzzing at me
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Turning Refer off

Quote:

Ken
Thanks - this is good to know
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #11
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
We had the same problem. Just flip the circuit breaker marked GFI and the fridge will turn off and flip it back on to turn it on. We also had the so called problem of the fridge flipping over to battery when there is a storm. Seems the GFI flips off in the bathroom,so I just reset the GFI and the fridge is back on power. Got a surge protector and have not had a problem since I added it.
madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote