Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2009, 05:14 AM   #41
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
The trailer hitch people assured us it was not a high hitch because there was no signs of the pin rubbing on the top ot the jaws. there was some wear noted at the back of the jaws that may have happened while hitching at one time. It seems that it was sort of like unbuttoning your coat, as one of the jaws was slightly higher than the other--any way we are the proud owners of a new hitch head and will also be getting a bedsaver. Yes, John kohl, you won't be able to tell us about how the bedsaver would have saved money any more. Will wait until we get to Omaha since we don't have a bed to save at this time

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #42
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
C214dick, you wrote, "pull test...before raising the front jacks". you probably meant, "all the way", but just in case...the pull test is done with the LG raised a hair off the ground. If you leave the LG on the ground with any weight on them, then pulling the trailer against the chocks or brakes will usually cause the LG pads to skid forward, stressing the legs. Don't ask how I know...
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #43
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpkelpe

The trailer hitch people assured us it was not a high hitch because there was no signs of the pin rubbing on the top ot the jaws. there was some wear noted at the back of the jaws that may have happened while hitching at one time. It seems that it was sort of like unbuttoning your coat, as one of the jaws was slightly higher than the other--any way we are the proud owners of a new hitch head and will also be getting a bedsaver. Yes, John kohl, you won't be able to tell us about how the bedsaver would have saved money any more. Will wait until we get to Omaha since we don't have a bed to save at this time
I can recommend the Blue Ox. It is pretty easy to install, but you do need to have some "C" clamps and a drill (at least for my type of hitch, I did). It was $202 delivered from Adventure RV.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #44
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Right, Dave. I pick up about one inch only off the blocks. I do leave the chocks in, though. I do not hit the hitch hard at all to test. Just hold the trailer brakes manually (set on 10) and tap the gas slightly. Then I back up slightly to relieve pressure off the front chocks.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #45
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I wrote this, then lost it...grrr.
Paul's post concerns me a couple of ways:
1. Is is possible that the pin lifted up and out of the jaws due to the TV rear axle dropping into a deep pothole and the Monty's LG striking the ground? It might be hard to distinguish the damage to the LG from the damage that landing and sliding would cause. Having a Pull-Rite, I don't know if the Reese jaws could allow this.
2. If the LG were to shear or fall in a deep pot hole, the LP line on our 2009 3400RL would strike the ground and possibly bear the weight of the Monty. See pix. It should be easy to re-route the LP line along the web of the I-beam, instead of below it.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #46
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jan and Paul-- Remember the Bedsaver is made in NE! I went up there and picked mine up. It wasn't any cheaper but I got it one day on the way to a wedding we were heading for! I put it on myself with no problem at all! Just installed one side at a time with the bolts provided onto the Reese hitch. If you need help let me know I'll be here, just call!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #47
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Yes. we know, Pender, NE. Paul may take you up on the installation project.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #48
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
No problemo! I'll be around! We made it home yesterday and trying to get all the junk unpacked. Can't believe how much STUFF we accumulated over this trip! Didn't help any that we camped for three days at Shipshewana Flea Market Campground,visited three RV salvage places and the Bulk Food store there also! Good thing we didn't weigh in on our way home!!! Have a good stay in West Virginia and see you when you get back to Omaha!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #49
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
You're right Dave. I didn't mean that I would lift the jacks all the way. I actually experienced a dropped trailer with our Cedar Creek a couple of years ago. I tried moving it in our camp site w/o retracting the slides. The good thing is that I did only lift the jacks a little. The bad thing was I did not check to make sure that the jaws were set properly and you can imagine the noise it made when it landed on the sides of the bed. No damage but.........
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #50
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
Being new to hauling a FW trailer I did alot of study about hitches and chose to have a Husky
installed because of the wrap around latch design. Yes I know that the slide bar type hitches are better, but they didn't fit the standard rail systems mounting which my truck had already been drill for and frame L-brackets installed because of a previous Reese hitch. I also noticed that most pickups I seen with with crushed in bed rails had Reese hitches so I went Husky. My question to the forum, has anyone experienced problems with the Husky that I should be aware of.

Tony
tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #51
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tonycamacho

Being new to hauling a FW trailer I did alot of study about hitches and chose to have a Husky
installed because of the wrap around latch design. Yes I know that the slide bar type hitches are better, but they didn't fit the standard rail systems mounting which my truck had already been drill for and frame L-brackets installed because of a previous Reese hitch. I also noticed that most pickups I seen with with crushed in bed rails had Reese hitches so I went Husky. My question to the forum, has anyone experienced problems with the Husky that I should be aware of.

Tony

I don't think anyone is having any real problems with Reese hitches, They are having real problems hitching properly. That Husky you bought is no better than a reese or any other hitch. How can one hitch be better than another ?? Some have some nice features or bells and whistles so to speak, but better ? A hitch does one thing and that is to hook a fifth to a truck, and if done properly they all work the same.

My 18K Reese is a wrap around jaw, My older 16K reese was not ,and it worked just as well as the 18K, the reason for the 18K was more capacity. How can a slider bar hitch be better, or any hitch better over another. Better in what way ?
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #52
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Quote:
quote:How can one hitch be better than another ?? Some have some nice features or bells and whistles so to speak, but better ? A hitch does one thing and that is to hook a fifth to a truck, and if done properly they all work the same.

How can a slider bar hitch be better, or any hitch better over another. Better in what way ?
I am not familiar with Reese and Husky hitches. I have a slider bar hitch (Hijacker). When the hitch engages, a strong bar is in place. There is no question that the kingpin is secured. Apparently, clamshell and jaw type hitches leave people guessing, or require an often neglected pull test. A slider bar, if engaged, leaves no question.

Bill
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #53
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I don't know if it makes it better, but my Reese Signature removes from the bed in seconds and leaves no obstructions like rails. This is important to me since I need to remove it at least 3 or 4 times a year.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #54
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I too have a Hikacker with the slide bar. I used a paint marker to put two stripes on the bar that I can see if the bar is in place properly.
I still do a pull test after reading about this problem last year. I suspect that NO hitch is foolproof. Hopefully I don't forget something someday.

There is an adjustment bolt for the Hikacker V-crotch that is on the other side of the slid bar that must be adjusted also. I don't know if failure to make that adjustment could allow an unhitching, but it can make for more chucking and banging upon acceleration/braking.

We all learn a bit from these posts. Just glas no one was hurt.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #55
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We have a Hijacker too. We always do the pull test with the landing gears just off the ground. Like Bill said, the bar goes all the way across, locking the kingpin inside, but we do the pull test anyway.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote