Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2005, 01:02 AM   #1
Dane
Established Member

M.O.C. #751
Electrical Guidance Needed

On our way to Florica, my wife and I will be parking our Montana in our daughter and son-in-law's driveway. We'd like to sleep in our RV. We can access electricity in their garage, using a 120 w plug-in adapter, Would it be OK to run our refridgerator, one TV and an electric cube heater in the bedroom area using this set-up?

Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:54 AM   #2
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
It probably will work. It depends on how the garage outlet is protected (what size breaker) and what else is on that circuit. Most outlets of that sort are on a 20 amp breaker. That's not a lot of capacity. With what you have on in the trailer, it is not likely you will hurt anything but, depending on what else is plugged in in the garage, you might pop a breaker. Your cube heater is the only load of any significance.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:03 AM   #3
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
On our way down to Florida, we stayed in our son's driveway for a week plugged into a 15 amp outlet. We didn't have any problem, but we didn't run the A/C while plugged in, only the lights, TV and fridge.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:41 AM   #4
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Ditto what Dave e Victoria said. I run the 15K air and fridge on that setup from our garage outlet (20 amp) with no problem. I would encourage you to use a heavy duty cord as some of the WalMart types are rated for low amps. If you pop breakers, you could always run the fridge on gas.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:56 AM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
If you trip the breaker in the house you could use your RVs furnace instead of the electric heater or some heaters have a 700 watt element on low and a 1500 on high.

If your RV is the only thing drawing current on the circuit in the house , you will probably be fine. If the breaker trips you will have to make changes. Good luck.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:05 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

It probably will work. It depends on how the garage outlet is protected (what size breaker) and what else is on that circuit. Most outlets of that sort are on a 20 amp breaker. That's not a lot of capacity. With what you have on in the trailer, it is not likely you will hurt anything but, depending on what else is plugged in in the garage, you might pop a breaker. Your cube heater is the only load of any significance.
Ditto what Dave said AND if you put the frig on gas you eliminate that appliance from the problem.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:18 AM   #7
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
When we moved into our 3400RL last spring we were hooked up in the driveway to 20 amp and also part of the summer was in our church campground on a 20 amp. We had no problems unless we ran heavy duty at the same time, like fireplace, hairdryer and microwave. Before I used the hairdryer I made sure the fireplace was off (ceramic heater). Also you want to be sure you are not running your hot water on electric, just use propane to heat water. We were very comfortable It is great to be at the kids and be able to go to your own bed...sometimes it is a great escape for peace and quiet. The grandkids love to come visit too!!!
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:46 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have run the a/c in my coach while loading the coach for a trip. I have found it easier to just run fridge on propane to take that out of the potential problems all together. I do not see why you would not be able to run a cube heater at night if you are not running any other major appliances, as stated before if it causes a problem use the furnace. Enjoy your trip down to FL!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:58 AM   #9
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I have parked my 5er in my driveway in between camping trips and have always plugged into house outlet (15 amp). I keep the fridge running and use the electric water heater when needed. I have not used the Air with this setup but haven't tripped a breaker yet.
Good luck with the visit to see the kids.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:03 AM   #10
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I would just run the frig on lp. some of the space heaters can really use alot of electricity. the tv won't use much at all.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:29 AM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
You could also run an extension cord directly into the RV though the slideout seal and plug the heater into it using a different plug/breaker from the house. Use the RV plug/adapter for the rest.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:17 AM   #12
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dane

On our way to Florica, my wife and I will be parking our Montana in our daughter and son-in-law's driveway. We'd like to sleep in our RV. We can access electricity in their garage, using a 120 w plug-in adapter, Would it be OK to run our refridgerator, one TV and an electric cube heater in the bedroom area using this set-up?
Dane,
I have a 30amp service where I park my trailer but when parked in the driveway I use an extension cord to a 15amp circuit. Run the fridge, lights, TV, etc (no heat, microwave or AC) and that's no problem. I leave the fridge on auto just in case the breaker was to flip to avoid the fridge going off.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:26 AM   #13
Dane
Established Member

M.O.C. #751
Thanks to everyone for the guidance. We can always depend on the members of this site to be of help. Having semi retired five months ago, this will be our first "long" vacation in our Montana - staying two weeks on the Fort Lauderdale area and about the same in the Long Key area. We are very excited!
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote