Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2021, 09:05 AM   #21
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVelting View Post
When the rv gets cold enough for it to come out of ECO mode and kick the fan on, then its on high, but its got some smart thermostat that auto adjusts the power its using depending on how well it is keeping up with the temps inside.

Condensation honestly hasnt been too bad. Little bit on the bottoms of the windows that usually burns off within an hour of the sun coming up.

Our big headache is the giant front cap panoramic window. that thing is ALWAYS getting condensation that wont go away. We recently put 2 small USB type fans blowing on it to try and negate it, not a whole lotta luck, maybe like half as much now.

The furnace cubby was a PITA for us too. It took me around 2 hours or so to get it done because its in the belly and no normal sized human can fit in there easily. was definitely worth the headache tho. Before doing the cubby it would run 6 to 8 minutes each time depending on outside temp.

One side note, ours did have a 2 inch vent tube for the basement that blows hot air in the belly, so if yours doesnt, i would be sure to add it before closing it all in so that you dont end up with an iced up line.
We also get condensation on the front window I use a 750/375 heater on Low and let it run most of the day. I do have a 2" line to the belly, but blocking in the furnace in an area with maybe 9" of hight that is at least 2' from either end of the sub belly sounds daunting. I am only thinking about it because you are 100% correct that will have a huge impact on propane usage. At the moment my camp water is frozen (stand pipe is 3' tall, next summer the owner gave me permission to take it down to ground level) and our internal water is frozen. We will get relief in 2 or 3 days. I run a 1500/750 heater in the basement but it was on 750W when the temps plummeted so now it will take a lot of energy to thaw out if I remember my HS science lessons correctly.

3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:09 PM   #22
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
We also get condensation on the front window I use a 750/375 heater on Low and let it run most of the day. I do have a 2" line to the belly, but blocking in the furnace in an area with maybe 9" of hight that is at least 2' from either end of the sub belly sounds daunting. I am only thinking about it because you are 100% correct that will have a huge impact on propane usage. At the moment my camp water is frozen (stand pipe is 3' tall, next summer the owner gave me permission to take it down to ground level) and our internal water is frozen. We will get relief in 2 or 3 days. I run a 1500/750 heater in the basement but it was on 750W when the temps plummeted so now it will take a lot of energy to thaw out if I remember my HS science lessons correctly.
Our first year in this rig, the first night below freezing all our plumbing froze. In sorting it out I discovered a large hole in the j-wrap for the low point drains that allowed ice cold air to flow right up to all the plumbing behind the convenience panel. All I needed to do was stuff a 3" thick block of pillow foam between the frame and j-wrap and haven't had a problem since.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote