Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #1
The Impulse
Established Member

M.O.C. #19518
Side Mount 5th Wheel Hitch

Hi Guys and Gals.

Question.... we bought a lighter camper than our old one but the Hitch weight is more.
Scott wants to install an Air Lifter Suspension Kit. It says the kit is compatible for our truck WITHOUT a fifth wheel hitch and compatible with SIDE MOUNT 5th Wheel Hitches. What is a regular hitch compared to a side mount? We just had the 18k superglide installed... we are assuming it's a side mount but have never heard it considered that.
Any input is appreciated.... thank you.

2017 3820FK
First time Montana Owner
The Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Side Mount 5th wheel hitches are something I had never heard of so I googled it and still came up with only references to sliders, but nothing called a side mount. If indeed a slider is a side mount then the Pullright hitch would be an automatic one, but I can't find any evidence of what a side mount might really be.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
Arizonacouple
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15914
Just throwing this out!

I wonder if a side mount hitch is in reference to the rails bolted to the floor of the truck bed. My Reese rails are at right angles to the direction of the bed. Are there rails that run parallel to the sides of the truck bed?
Arizonacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #4
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I have no idea what a side mount hitch is, and I've been pulling a lot of years.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I believe what this refers to is the mounting system under the pickup bed in reference to the frame. Brackets mount to the sides of the frame members using existing factory holes. The top of these side mount bracket plates have the partial turn recepticle to receive the drop in hitch systems...also known as the "puck" systems. John
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote