Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #21
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
I'm still struggling with the techniques of towing (no blonde jokes, please).

When you practice, practice with an observer so you can get immediate feedback and correct if needed. A retired trucker pal told me that practice does NOT make perfect, practice makes PERMANENT. So your chances of becoming proficient are partly based on your practicing good techniques.

patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #22
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Two more things to remember...since the trailer is hooked in the bed of the truck and not on the bumper, the trailer will cut the corner when you turn...and, on the road, keep the truck where you want it, the trailer WILL follow.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #23
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Thanks again to all of you for the feedback.
osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #24
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

The only thing to fear about towing, is the fear of towing.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #25
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Along the lines of what Pat Barton sez, "Practice does NOT make Perfect". "Perfect Practice makes Perfect".

It took me a little why to understand the motions for backing so when backing up I was constantly jack-knifing or over steering and this was not practicing the correct maneuver. Until I understood that while "turning the steering wheel the wrong way" to start a backing turn, once it gets going one must turn the steering wheel back to the right way sooner than you might expect to make the truck now follow the trailer as it's backing and preventing the over or under steering. Then subtle adjustments will complete the maneuver. This is what I practice now, finally.

Learning this from another in the know will save a lot of time learning how to practice the correct maneuver.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #26
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
This is a little off topic, but another trick an old trucker taught me was to find a spot on the front hood of my truck that when I lined that spot with the side of the road, (obviously way in front of the truck) I was dead center in my lane. Everytime I checked this with my mirrors, the trailer was right in the middle of the lane. This keeps your eyes on the road ahead with little or no head movement to check the mirrors relative to your position (truck and trailer do not wander with over corrections).

Alan
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #27
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
I should have read all the posts before I made my comment. One other item I was told and it works is when backing put your hand that is doing the steering at the bottom of the wheel. As strange as this sounds when you want to go right move your hand to the right and the same for left. The result is directly opposite if you had your hand at the top of the steering wheel. Most people can train themselves to compensate for this, but the hand at the bottom avoids the need to remember the different reaction of your trailer.

Alan
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #28
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
ALAN, both your posts are onboard with the original posts on what to expect driving a big trailer. Many of us just started discussing backing up which is the bane of RVers until we get comfortable (and even then, ugh).

But I think your first post only pertains to when driving more straight than on a curve. I find when driving forward on a curve one must stick to the outside edge of the curve (not centered) so that the off-tracking that occurs on the trailer tires does not run off the road or into another lane.

For example, if making a left curving turn, drive the TV to the right side of the lane, and if making a right curving turn, drive the TV to the left side of the lane and the trailer will offtrack and hopefully stay within the lane. I see so many drivers keeping their TV straight on turns then the back of the trailer ends up encroaching on the other lane or the edge of the pavement. While this might be okay in many of the other states where the lanes are nice and wide, in California, one way they handle more traffic is make the lanes as thin as possible (puts more lanes in the same amount of width) and this makes it very tight for long rigs on turns or you'll freak out the vehicles next to you if you don't do this. Just another tip to consider.

Whatever tips and tricks, NEVER, EVER forget the rig is back there. The best safety tip I've heard is that one should drive for whatever you are towing and not what the truck can do with it! I've heard some say, my truck is so strong I can forget that I'm towing. Nope, bad idea, please don't forget. I'm hoping that's not what they really meant.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote