Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Thank you, Five Star Ford/Dodge Aberdeen Wa.

Well it finally happened! The Dodge broke down while towing the 5er. We were headed home from Ocean Shores and about 2-1/2 miles east of Aberdeen I heard a sound that sounded like a high pressure steam relief valve going off. I though it was coming from the Lakeside Asphalt plant we went by,but as we got about a block past the plant low and behold "NO POWER STEERING". I glanced at the temp gage and it was hanging in at 200 for about the 4 blocks needed to get to a wide shoulder where we could pull over safely. By the time I got off the road the temp was hitting 260.
Then comes the adventurer of calling Allstate Motor Club to try line up a tow. I call the robo center to get a truck coming. Then I had to call the displacer to send us tow for the 5er and the gal on the phone asked me for the physical address of the trailer. I told her I was parked 3 miles east of Aberdeen on highway 12, she said she need a physical address. I told her to call the tow out to that location as any tow truck from town would know where I was sitting. I guess she did not know I wasn't in NYC!
The tow shows up in a few min and wants to tow the Dodge with the back driver wheels on the ground. I tell the driver we need to turn around to tow to town with the back wheels off the ground. It cost me $50 to get him to pull it about 3 blocks and turn around an do it right.
And water pump was falling apart on the front hub where fan a pulley attach. I had called Dodge to let know we would get their in about 30 min. and they said they would be ready for us. We got the trailer landed on the street right in front of thru service bay without any problems. They pulled truck in a 3:45 and we were hooking back up at 5:30 which is not bad. They replaced the water pump and belt. Total cost 75$ for the belt. Thank you Five Star Dodge!!

PS for all you Dodge drivers running the earlier 6.7 might want to take a peek at the water pump. My truck has only 85000 miles on it.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Glad to hear you had your truck fixed with, what sounds like, a minimum of trouble.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Good story Drifty. My Ford has a 100,000 maintenance schedule for the cooling system. I am not blasting Dodge, nor praising Ford, but that many miles sure seems awfully high but I'm sure the Dodge and Ford engineers think they know what they're doing and you can only hope the manufacturing process follows their specs.

This all goes to show that the best desires for one's truck still have to worry about fate, luck and owner usage especially when something breaks. AND.... I had to buy special spec coolant for the rare occasion of refilling the reservoir, so ALWAYS use the correct spec stuff and no breaks yet!

The best news in your case is that the dealer took care of you and it's too bad that so many of these tow jockeys don't know what they are supposed to know any more than some of these neophytes on the other side of the phone when you are trying to tell you where you are and what you need. Just remember that the person with the job they have and the pay they get have probably never been on a trip to know what you are experiencing. I am no know-it-all (but I keep trying to get there) and have found that when explaining what I need, I just might have to talk a little nicer to get the right kind of help. It seemed to help in your case in getting the tow truck to turn the disabled truck around.

May your vehicle's troubles be far behind from now on. I often wonder that our equipment fails just to see how we handle a problem. The good news is I end up so much smarter afterwards.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Was this just the water pump and belt only? Not the electric fan? I carry a spare pump for my 5.9L engine. Changed it out on the side of the road. Hardest part is catching the old coolant. Pumps are around $50.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Bigmurf, it was the water pump as far as I know it is a belt driven fan on the 6.7L cummins. @Art I guess they are not that far behind me yet. Was on my way to PT this AM and the truck started to act like the turbo was failing. So I drove it to Rainer Dodge to have it checked out and they just called back to tell me they were going to do some more testing but are thinking there is a problem with a injector. He said they will have a better idea tomorrow. When it rains it pours!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Larry we had to have my friends replaced in fla this pass march. 07 6.7 it started seeping water when he left tn and by the time I met him in ga it was gotten alot worse. he had it replaced in brandon fla under warranty the early 6.7s had that problem I believe. they would not replace the belt so we did. its a very easy job on my 5.9 but I don't think they could have made it any harder on the 6.7 LOL.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Too bad I was gone. I live five miles from where you broke down. My water pump went out and Five Star fixed mine too. Only thing to watch is the radiator drain plug. Mine would not re seat after they worked on it and it went out in Yakima. Limped it home and Five Star fixed that also.

Good dealership for repair work.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #8
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Good advice about the spare pump bigmurf. Mine has been replaced twice, once under warranty. I love my truck but.........
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:17 AM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c214dick

Good advice about the spare pump bigmurf. Mine has been replaced twice, once under warranty. I love my truck but.........
What did the dealer charge you for the $50 pump?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I need to go back through my records as it has been a couple of years. Including labor and flush maybe $400 but I don't remember. I assume it's not a huge undertaking?
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Bigmurf,Mine was replaced under warranty but I did have to pay for the belt.