Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
“Another crisis un-veiled”

First it was the blow-out on I-75. Now we’re looking at a whole new dilemma. I’ve been complaining about a soft floor on the big slide for some time. Without ever seeing any kind of a water leak I ignored that possibility. This year we developed dark marks on the carpet where the slides move in & out. I now know why we have them.

Today I removed the furniture and carpet to have a very close look at what we have. This is what I found.

This next photo is on the opposite end of the slide out. It is dry but obviously it has leaked in the past.

Both of these areas are at a fall through state. The first area that is wet was immediately after a hard rain. The first thing I plan to do is evaluate how the rain water is getting in.

I have the ability and skills to make repairs. However, the problem is bigger than I can handle in the way that it needs to be done. The entire floor needs to be removed and replaced. That I can't do because the slide would need to be completely removed. I'm considering making an attempt at replacing just the end pieces of flooring. I would like to know if anyone on here has ever taken on this big of a job themselves.

The flooring bolts to the frame underneath as seen in the next photo. If the bolts are removed and the trim is removed from the outside bottom of the slide I might be able to remove a section of the flooring on each end after making a cut. What I don't know is how the flooring is attached to the bottom of the sidewalls.

Does anyone know?

You may have noticed a hole completely through the floor on each end; I have no idea why they would be there other than a previous owner drilled them for some reason. It would be nice to haul it in and come back with a newer one but I can't see that happening. Any thoughts, ideas and comments are appreciated as always. Thanks!

On Edit: Photo Links Changed

Old 06-21-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wow, I just spent 2 hrs trying to get you an organized slideshow from Photobucket, we will have to settle for the following.
I had the leak as well, I cleaned and sealed the seam, you will see it in the slide-show.
Any questions, email me.
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...eak%20repairs/
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:12 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Ozz, thanks for putting in that kind of time. That certainly is commendatory to say the least. I have been testing with a water hose to try and find the leak and so far I can’t duplicate where it’s coming in at. I have discovered that it is entering through the outside wall near the floor. I have water tested everything from the bottom to the roof without seeing any water inside. When I opened it up yesterday there was water standing in the rotted area after en extremely hard rain. The only thing I can think at this time is that the water is coming in through the large window and during a hard rain it’s forcing it into the wall and onto the floor. After water testing the window there is a little water that was accumulating in the window seal. I will be looking at any holes on the window frame for the water to escape through and make certain they are not plugged if I can find them.

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Keystone's service center personnel "rain" test some units by pointing a lawn sprayer so that the water falls down in a specific area for 45 minutes. Then they repeat in another spot...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I’m very confident that it isn’t the window. I tested it thoroughly and the rain ports are working as they should. I have discovered the water is coming in from the roof. I believe it may be along the outside edge.

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good luck with it, don't discount the seam in back of the super slide where mine was. A cleaning and bead of silicone is cheap and quick.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpkelpe

we had a leak one time and it was on the outside edge of the slide, that tape gets loose, needs to be reapplied and then self leveling sealer (Dicor) applied. at least that is what fixed ours.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote