Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Woodworkers... question about drawer slides

Would a heavy-duty side mount drawer slide work for a bottom of the drawer slide?
I don't see why it wouldn't, but am no expert on drawer slides.
I can't find a heavy duty bottom slide. (Went to three stores, bought the H.D. side slides.)
Going to use it (2 of them) for a (approx) 35# combined weight load on 3/4" plywood base. Slide TV out for shelf access. I think they are 40# slides.
Thanks in advance.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Ozz,
Not an expert in wood working but got a catalog last week and found these bottom slides for 75lbs. I like to ensure they handle the weight for the TV.
Let us know what you go with.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jim,
I don't think so. The bearings would be in the wrong place. Side drawer slides have little bearing on the bottom of the slide. If you mounted that horizontally on the bottom, no, but if you mounted it the same way as the side, it should work. Just don't know how you would anchor the non-moving part.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:17 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, I have the slides sitting on the wood ready to mount, I just don't want to make a mistake.
From my machining background and my metal trades, I don't see why they won't work, but I want opinions.
The overhang when opened will probably only be 8" or so, a very light duty one would probably work, but my question is what is the difference, my thought is it only the mounting options.
Thanks John, I will look at the picture of the ones you provided a link to.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Ozz,
The worse that can happen is you get a new Telly.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Jim,
I don't think so. The bearings would be in the wrong place. Side drawer slides have little bearing on the bottom of the slide. If you mounted that horizontally on the bottom, no, but if you mounted it the same way as the side, it should work. Just don't know how you would anchor the non-moving part.
Thes bearings look to be encapuslated in such a way they seem to be non-directional. Maybe they are dual use. That would make good economic sense, one slide for two applications. Nothing was listed on the outside of the package other than H.D. drawer slides. None of the help at Home Despot had a clue. "AH, I don't know, bring them back if they don't work.."
They seem to be for side slides.
I went to two Lowe's and 2 Home Despot stores, getting tired of this quickly....
Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Ozz,
The worse that can happen is you get a new Telly.
Mike
Ha! Mike, it is new...
Old 02-28-2011, 05:32 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Ozz I have seen them used in that fashon on a DIY TV show, I also have them in my kitchen drawers that way for the pots and pans cabinets drawers its not a heavy load so it works for me and been that way for 4 years so far and no problems.
Oh I did use a good quality slide by Accuride
Old 02-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #9
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Jim, Take a drawer to a cabinet shop and get the correct drawer slide. A cabinet maker can tell what will work.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #10
Ken Greenleaf
Established Member

M.O.C. #7903
Ozz: Some of the manufacturers of full extension side mount slides say you can mount on the bottom & lose prox 1/2 of the weight rating. Other manufacturers specifically say no. I believe KV and Grant are among the ones that permitted undermount - not sure about accuride. Many specs have probably changed since I retired 5 years ago. Cabinetmakerssupply.com lists many slides & applications. Hope this helps, Ken
Ken Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Trailer Trash, nailbender and Ken,
Thanks for the help and good advice. I will take these back and go to a big lumber company in town that will have the correct slides for my application.
The problems I encounter when modifying something that isn't standard is the problem. Usually these slides mount on the sides of a drawer, I am installing them flat on the TV mount, a plywood board.
It's never easy.
It's good to be able to draw on the expertise of my fellow MOC friends. We are a diverse group indeed.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ozz I put 2 on the bottom of a pc of plywood for a slide for a basement TV last summer and the problem you have is when you pull out the TV they will bend down when laying flat if they are all the way out they have to stand up to be strong. If you install them standing up under the bottom they will work. I installed drawers in the kitchen for susie over the winter and I used the HD 100# side slides full ext. those things will hold a load like that. lowes or home depot have the bottom slides. JMHO
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good ideas Bobby, Because of the odd angles I am working with side-mounts just won't work.
Lowe's and Home Despot has Butkus here, I went to a big lumber company and the largest hardware store in town, more butkus.
I have dreamed up a solution...this will be scary...
Old 02-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Ozz,

I think this is what you are looking for. It is a under mount, with full extension and will take 100lbs.

http://www.drawerslides.com/c/blum-tandem-562f

Here are some for up to 125lbs.
http://www.drawerslides.com/c/blum-tandem-568h

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #15
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Bobby's correct, if you looked at bottom slides up against side slides you'll see the difference...side slides WILL bend if used for bottom slides over a certain weight, and it doesn't take alot. Many places to get 'em Ozz....I refer alot of folks to rockler.com , but there's a ton of choices.
Bill
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

Ozz,

I think this is what you are looking for. It is a under mount, with full extension and will take 100lbs.

They would work with a drawer, but I can't mount them to the side of my plywood base. I have to mount them flat on the bottom.
I have dreamed up a way to do it without slides... scary
Old 03-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wild Horse

Bobby's correct, if you looked at bottom slides up against side slides you'll see the difference...side slides WILL bend if used for bottom slides over a certain weight, and it doesn't take alot. Many places to get 'em Ozz....I refer alot of folks to rockler.com , but there's a ton of choices.
Bill
Because of the odd cut of my plywood base, and not having sides like a drawer would, I am going to use a different method. I wish you were my next-door neighbor, I would have bounced my ideas off your noggin. You would have saved me a day looking for something that wouldn't work... Some of this easy-looking stuff ain't easy....
Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 AM   #18
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

Ozz,

They would work with a drawer, but I can't mount them to the side of my plywood base. I have to mount them flat on the bottom.
I have dreamed up a way to do it without slides... scary
Ozz,

These mount on the bottom, not the sides.

Look at page 32 http://www.drawerslides.com/docs/4026_tdm_b.pdf
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Where is says runner profile, that is mounted to the sides of the drawer. I have about 3" between the board and the edge of any mounting surface. These slides won't work.
I have a unique mounting requirement. I just finished it, using some of Sue's kitchen equipment.....