Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2010, 05:06 AM   #1
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Dead critter??

Our Monty is parked in its normal spot near the stick house after returning from NH over Memorial Day. We have noticed a smell building inside that smells like spoiled meat or a dead critter. We have looked in all the easily accessible areas but now I'm fearful that we have something in the walls or ceiling. There is no visible evidence (droppings or nest) of a critter that we can find. Short of taking Monty apart I guess we will just have to wait it out or something. Yuck!

Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I thought the walls and ceiling have solid styrofoam as insulation so it could be pretty hard for a critter to get in these places unless they get into the ducting but I suppose some critters can bite through and tunnel their way in. Unfortunately, there are plenty of cubby holes and tight spots just inside the ceilings and walls, where something can get in there, get themselves stuck, then succumb.

I think if it continues you'll need to sniff it out and take things apart. If it's by the fridge I'd check the drip hose is not broken or the water would drip under the fridge and create some odors there. Also trying removing the bottom panel for a look see (don't forget your flashlight and a weapon in case you are correct about a critter). It might even be a fridge leak - Ammonia is used for the coolant in RV refrigerators.

Since the rig is parked near your stickhouse and you let it sit for a while and the smell goes away, then I'd find a way to run the fridge for a while to see if the smell comes back. If it does I'd suspect a leaky fridge. I wish I could help more because I have a nose like a bloodhound (not always a blessing) and am pretty good at identifying smells (again, not always a blessing).

I hope you post what you find since it might be helpful to the rest of us.

Good Luck with the "hunt"!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
One way to help track down the location of the smell is to open everything up. Get the smell out as much as possible. Then go in and sniff around, trying to identify a concentrated stinky place. Also go around the outside doing the same thing. You may have to get away from it and go back, after the nose has cleared, several times.
Let us know what you find.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Golly Gosh! Sure wish we were closer as one of our dogs is dead on with finding "stinky stuff". Her name is "Wink" but we call her "The Winkenator" as she is a Wheaten Terrier with a strong prey drive. She terminated a rat and a possum last summer (all outside, not inside!) . I know she would locate the offending dead critter or whatever the smell comes from. Hey, I could rent her out!

Good luck,
Lynne
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is no doubt in the roof. Dsprik cab tell you how long it takes for the smell to go away as his squirrel has been in the roof now for a couple of years...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Eeewwww.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote