Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
RailroadMike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5807
Furnace Problem

I have had the rig in storage for about three months...Got it out yesterday and filled the propane bottles. I have gas going to the stove and fridge but the furnace comes on runs for a few minutes blowing cold air and shuts off. If I turn the furnace off and wait a minute or two it and then turn it on I have the same thing. So far it has not tried to start itself. Any help would be great...Got to tow it to cold northern Nevada and would like some heat....Thanks

RailroadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Railroadmike,
Sounds like the igniter is not working properly. You obviously are getting propane and you have 12 volt power. The only thing you are not getting is an ignition of the propane. This is controlled by a board on the unit. It most likely is the igniter is broken and the board will not send a signal to the valve that lets propane flow to the furnace. It will usually try about 3 times to ignite and then shut down. If you listen closely you can often hear the clicks.

Pull the unit out and you'll see the board. Remove and take to RV parts place and see if they have a replacement. About 115 to 130 or so $$$$.

Good luck. And let us know what you find.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If the sail switch is stuck or bad it will not ignite also but before tearing into anything I would make sure there is propane to the furnace. You could always loosen the line where it connects to the furnace
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Check your battery. The furnace will not fire if the 12v control board is not receiving a minimum voltage. 10.6 rings a bell but I don't remember for sure. Even when plugged in to shore power, it requires 12v from the battery to fire. The converter feeds the battery but without a good battery the furnace will not light. I've heard and read of many with this problem and the cause was the battery. The battery could be good enough to run the fridge and stove but not the furnace.

If your battery is good, then I'd remove the thermostat from the wall and unplug it for a couple of minutes so it resets. Then plug it back in and try again. Our dealer had us try this once. Our thermostat has a single plug on the back.

If none of the above, then the next likely culprit would be the sail switch or control board but I'd check that battery first.

Good luck and please let us know what you find. Yours may be something entirely different.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Try this troubleshooting guide suggested by Ozz
http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Furnace_Trouble-2.pdf
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
RailroadMike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5807
Hello all....Thanks for the help...turned out to be a bad board....Mike
RailroadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mike,
If you don't mind me asking about what was the price for the board? Just wondering about what various outfits are charging.

Glad you got it fixed. Did you do it yourself?

Thanks,
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote