Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
mholman

M.O.C. #8633
screeching slide outs

2004 2950RK. Bedroom slide is OK but living room slideout squeaks, squeals and screeches terrible. I have lubed the gears and rack. they are not dirt or rusty. any ideas???

mholman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I use this: Corrosion X. I spray the gears and the teeth and also put some on a rag and wipe down the ram, which helps to keep it from pitting. No squeeks in our 2006 or 2009.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don't forget to get some slide treatment for the rubber slides too. They can make some real noise.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:30 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
My gears pop and snap and make noise occasionally also. I lube almost every time I run them in. Seems to help, but LR slide seems to be getting a little worse as of late...

Michael and Dennis' suggestions are also very good.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This is what Lippert suggests.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:21 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Dave, it is just your rig trying to tell you that it isn't made for OFF ROAD use... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Hmmm....

Is there more to that procedure? I don't see where it says when to re-tighten the bolts. Something seems to be missing, is it on the next page, perhaps?

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KTManiac

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Hmmm....

Is there more to that procedure? I don't see where it says when to re-tighten the bolts. Something seems to be missing, is it on the next page, perhaps?

Nope. After the bolts fall off, they sell you a new repair kit to fix them.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If it's a squeal, it's probably the seals, as HamRad mentioned. Some seal lube should take care of it. Those seals make quite a racket when dry.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Dave, it is just your rig trying to tell you that it isn't made for OFF ROAD use... Dave
That's pretty funny, Dave...

Good info, John. I also noticed that it doesn't mention to re-tighten?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:41 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I've never lubed there!

John, how often do you do this?...just when you hear a squeak?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:49 AM   #12
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Mholman, I had that problem. The main slide squealed so loudly that you could follow the sound across the floor . I took it in for adjustment. That lasted about a week. I dropped the bottom cover, and could see on the curbside end of the slideout tube that it was metal to metal,no lube.I don't know if there's suppposed to be a neopreme bushing there or not. It looks like a roller at the end of the slide tube, but if so, its siezed. I used grease to lube the fixed tube and after 2 years it's still quiet. I understand that lippert says to use no grease there, but thats what it took to fix it. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:44 AM   #13
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I did the Lippert Fix (yes, I tightened the bolts afterward - but the bolts don't tighten all the way or they would cause binding). It helped. It didn't cure every noise, but perhaps after the oil has had a chance to work in it will. One slide quieted right down, while the two others still make some noise, but not like they were.

Easy job, takes about 20 minutes to a half hour for all three slides combined. You need a 9/16 wrench and socket with ratchet.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
After reading Lippert's recommendations, I have to say that I will continue to use [url="http://www.corrosionx.com/marine.html"]Corrosion X[/url - it doesn't attract dust and dirt like motor oil would and after 2 and half years of use, on two trailers, I am happy to say that the gears don't make noise. I spray three slides and wipe down the ram about every six months - takes about 10 minutes, mostly because my knees creak when getting down to the ground!!

By the way, because the stuff is penetrative, when I wipe down the ram, it doesn't rust; Lippert will not warrantee the ram or hydraulics if the ram is pitted, based on what I have read on this and other forums.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #15
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
Our previous rig (SOB) had one long hydraulic slide. After a period of time it would begin to make a high pitched SQUEAL - mostly on the way in. Drove us crazy!

After crawling under to investigate it, I isolated it to the ram piston. I rubbed a little hydraulic fluid from the pump reservoir on it and VOILA! - Noise gone!! Seemed to need to do that every few months. I just kept a tiny bottle handy - and put just a few drops on a cloth to wipe it down. Problem solved for us. Probably not as good as the stuff SNFEXPRESS uses.

Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:14 AM   #16
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
This is an informative thread and the Lippert reference provided by John Kohl is excellent.

We had our 2008 3400 serviced last year by Camp Keystone in Goshen.

These are the two products Montana Service techs used in their process to align our LR slide and service all the slides:

1. #101 TFE-Dry, Lubricant Release Agent for slides

2. #C33 Cyclo Silicone spray for the rubber seals on each slide.

As noted in the thread, oily or wet lubricants for the slide mechanisms are not preferred and presently not used by the Montana service folks at Goshen.

You can google each above product as you wish. FYI and not an endorsement of product. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #17
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Thanks Michael, I no longer have those screeching slides. I had tried the dry lube it helped but it still had the screeching sound. I purchase the stuff you recommended and soaked everything with it. Then put the slides in and left them over night so everything inside the rails would get coated. Now when I put the slides in and out there is no noise. Now I no longer draw attention at the camp grounds when I put the slides in and out.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #18
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Could I get a little more info from you slide experts. I have a 2002 3295rk and it has Hyd. slides on it. My question is have they stopped installing Hyd. slides on the newer units as you all seem to talk about mechanical slides? Also would like to know if there is someplace in Western Washington to have one of them adjusted?
Thanks for the good info. on slides as it is one of the few moving parts on the 5th wheel that can cause many problems.
Larry in Olympia
Sorry about sidetracking for a minute.
Drifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:15 AM   #19
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Drifty1

Could I get a little more info from you slide experts. I have a 2002 3295rk and it has Hyd. slides on it. My question is have they stopped installing Hyd. slides on the newer units as you all seem to talk about mechanical slides? Also would like to know if there is someplace in Western Washington to have one of them adjusted?
Thanks for the good info. on slides as it is one of the few moving parts on the 5th wheel that can cause many problems.
Larry in Olympia
Sorry about sidetracking for a minute.
No, they are all still hydraulic, but there are some mechanical components such as rails and gears.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #20
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Hi gang,
I wonder now, where these two products are can be located and purchased. I googled one and it brought up a website to purchase via mailorder. Is there some company that sells these items retail?
Thanks
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote