Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2009, 02:54 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Firestone Transforce H/T

Does anyone have this tire on their TV? If so, can you give some report on it? Need to replace my TV tires soon (real soon), and this is one of the tires in my size (225/75/R17), not many other brands in this size.......

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Phil, I have no personal experience with the Firestone Transforce H/T but I do know it's good tire. When I was looking for tires for my TV my late brother highly recommended the Transforce or Michelin. I actually got a better price on the Michelin's and that was I am now using. If the Transforce was the lower price, well than I could be talking from experience.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Phil, We got the same tire except we have a GMC 2500 D/A and they have done a very good job so far. We towed Monty from Marshal TX to Amarillo TX and never had to add air and we are getting ready to leave here, Walt checked the air pressure and they did not need any at all. OH!! we bought them in FL and drove around 700 miles with out Monty and had no problems .. Hope this helps.

Edit... Walt said to tell you that these are 10 ply.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Phil, We have the Firestone Transport but a different size....LT265/70/R17. I have 21,000 miles on them and they still look very good. If I had to buy tires again it would be Firestone Transports or Michelin RIB which I have on the trailer.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
I've been running Transforce H/T LT235/85R16 on both TV and 39' SOB triple axle 5th whl for over 4 years with no problems.
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks everyone for the usual, quick responses. Glad to hear these tires are decent as I only have several choices if I want to keep the same size. Will be making a decision in a day or two. My four rear are still good so I might just go with two of the same on the front until they all need replacing. Does anyone else have more wear on the fronts than the rears? I'm told this is normal when towing heavy. Any input welcome.....Thanks in advance.

Phil
Old 06-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Phil, thats typical for 4 wheel drive Trucks, we have owned many 4 wheel drive Trucks and the front always wore faster than the rear. I had to rotate them very often. I'm really glad I don't have 4 wheel drive any longer. Very seldom have I ever had to use 4 wheel drive. But its very hard to find Trucks 1 tons without 4 Wheel drive you just about have to order. I have towed 5th wheels thousands of miles and never ever have I used 4 wheel drive. And I know there are many who wouldn't drive anything except a 4x4.

I have always had good luck with Michelin, we were going to pull a set of Toyo's on our Chevy 1 ton dually, but its gone. The tire man I use said if the Toyo's didn't work out he would take the back and order a set of Michelin's. I think when the Freightliner needs tires I will try a set o Toyo's. The Michelins are over $500.00 dollars each but their 22.5's. Oh yes if I had went with the Toyo's on the Chevy 1 ton I would have had to go up one size. Good Luck with your choice. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
My fronts are only lasting about 35,000 with an annual alignment. I do, though, have a 4X4. My Firestone dealer told me it was typical of all trucks which haul heavy loads but get their alignments done without the weight. The weight then throws the alignment off causing the wear.
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Front tires will always wear faster than rear tires. Remember it's the front tires that do all the steering while the back tires just follow along. The steering action alone will scuff the rubber off the tires. A very slight, hardly noticable alignment problem is another factor. Very few alignments are 100% accurate.
If you want great wear out of your tires you MUST..
ROTATE the tires. I know it ain't cheap to rotate all 6 tires on a Dually BUT that's the price you have to pay if you want to own a Dually and want the best tire mileage.
Keep them properly inflated
Inspect them for ANY irregular tread wear. Did you know a tire will talk to you?? You need a tread depth gauge and a tire will speak volumes. Using the tread depth gauge, check the tread depth across the tire.
Less tread on one side than the other? Get the Alignment checked.
Less tread on both sides than in the center? Been running with low air pressure.
Less tread in the middle than both sides? TOO much air pressure.

I could go on but there is no need as there is, and has been, a page at montanaowners.com that will cover most a TIRE FAQs
Old 06-25-2009, 01:00 AM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Phil -
We had the Firestone Transforce on our old 3400. We saw an instant improvement in fuel economy while pulling Monty with our Silverado. We must have been lucky, because we got probably close to 30k miles out of our old Missions. We went to Yokohama on the TV, but I would go Michelin or Firestone this time - better wear.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, the local dealer talked me out of 6 new tires (go figure) and will be putting two of the same on the front come Monday. We were originally talking about Michelin LTX MS in 245-80-17, but once he looked at the rears he suggested just the two fronts and see how they wear compared to the rears and maybe replace all 6 next time. Makes sense to me and saved me about a grand right now. Firestone may be the next set I get. Thanks to everyone for responding.....
Old 06-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I have never had a tire that got near as many miles on them as Michelin's. The two tire guys might tell me I am wrong and hope they are right. Wouldn't mind buying something that was cheaper if I got the same life, handling and ride. I know on Wifes little Mercedes my tire guy told me Coopers would last as long, one of those little tires rated for 150 mph that look bald when you buy them.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:I have never had a tire that got near as many miles on them as Michelin's. The two tire guys might tell me I am wrong and hope they are right. Wouldn't mind buying something that was cheaper if I got the same life, handling and ride. I know on Wifes little Mercedes my tire guy told me Coopers would last as long, one of those little tires rated for 150 mph that look bald when you buy them.
I'm not going to be the one to disagree with you . I have never found a higher mileage, better handling, or smoother riding tire for a light truck, than the Michelin LTX M/S. I don't use them because they don't fit my needs, but if they did, they would be my first choice.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I run the Michelin LTX M/S and I am very satisfied with them I did replace the 1st set of Michelin LTX M/S prematurely because I screwed up and didn't keep a close eye on tread wear. I had over 40,000 miles on them when I realized the insides were wearing badly and replaced all 4. Had I listened to my own advice I estimate I could have gotten possibly another 30,000+ miles.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:51 AM   #15
Backroads
Established Member

M.O.C. #9419
Phil: My fronts wore out first & I replaced them with the Transforce HT (LT215 85R16). Then when the backs showed wear on my dually, I went with Michelin LTX M/S. I like the Michelins much better. Can't say anything negative about the Transforce but I just seem to like the Michelins better.
Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Maybe this will help: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Transforce+HT
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Using the link Tom S. provided the Transforce isn't that bad, but then when you use the link below:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=LTX+M%2FS

... you can see why Michelins are popular. I will be needing some new feet for my F-250. I think I have a candidate. My RV feet are pretty new so I'll wait on those.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:39 AM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Art, I would love to have a set of Michelins, unfortunately they do not make them in the size I need and prefer to stay with. Not sure why GM went with a 225x75R17 tire, but I will just have to live with them for awhile longer.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #19
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We also had more tire wear in the front - on the inside part of the tread. The GM dealer checked the alignment - it was to spec. So, I'm guessing that the wear comes from braking. When the brakes are applied, the momentum of the trailer is transferred to the front wheels. As RonT points out, the alignment is done without this weight.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote