Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Tires for Dodge PU

I have to replace the rear tires on my 3500 Dodge and would like to know what others are replacing the orginals with.
Local dealer would charge $680 for the four installed, balanced etc.
Dunlop brand I believe.

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
I put the michelins back on mine (99 came stock with LTX A/S)

I'm getting between 70 and 80 thousand on the LTX Tires - I went the the A/T's this time (they are a bit more aggressive tread, and a little louder on the highway)

Never a balance problem, and they wore very even.
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Check the maximum load rating, & number of plys on the old tires and make sure the new tires at the very least match what you had. You certainly don't want to put on something with less rating. Most tire places don't check on that. They just match the size. But remember that not all the same sizes are created equal.

Also know the speed rating. The higher the number, then typically the longer they will last even if you don't drive that fast, because the compound will be stronger to support the higher speeds.

Be aware of the real bargain tires, because they may be less expensive because some of their specifications are lower or not accurate. And stick to major brands, even if they are manufactured in China (most all tires are), they are engineered, manufactured and monitored using Name brand guidelines.

The price you mention sounds about right, but check the specs closely.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
About a year and a half ago I had to replace the rear tires on our Dodge. We were in a small town and the shop had a set of Cooper tires the right size and load range. They are disappearing at an alarming rate. Next time I will get the Michelins like what came on the truck. The original Michelins lasted 70k. The Kelly Springfield tires would have made it about 45k if one hadn't gone bad. The Cooper Discoverer tires will maybe make it to 30k.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dannyl

I have to replace the rear tires on my 3500 Dodge and would like to know what others are replacing the orginals with.
Local dealer would charge $680 for the four installed, balanced etc.
Dunlop brand I believe.
You'll get all kinds of answers here, but for me it's Michelins. The overall length of wear and their durability stands them in good stead.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:08 AM   #6
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Our Dodge's OEM Michelins gave us 105,000 miles therefore replaced with bran spanking new Michelins. CG owner ourside Houston in convesation said he retired as SE regional Michelin rep. When I told him I rotate and balance every 15,000 miles and have pressure at 75r-60f when towing and 40r-50f when not he said that was the way to do it and they would last easily 100,000. Higher initial cost, but the per mile cost better than other tires that may give less total miles.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sgtpp214

Our Dodge's OEM Michelins gave us 105,000 miles therefore replaced with bran spanking new Michelins. CG owner ourside Houston in convesation said he retired as SE regional Michelin rep. When I told him I rotate and balance every 15,000 miles and have pressure at 75r-60f when towing and 40r-50f when not he said that was the way to do it and they would last easily 100,000. Higher initial cost, but the per mile cost better than other tires that may give less total miles.
That has got to be some kind of record, I have never heard of a tire getting that kind of mileage. That will definitely be my next tire. Anyone else with that kind of mileage?????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By Art-n-Marge.
Check the maximum load rating, & number of plys on the old tires and make sure the new tires at the very least match what you had. You certainly don't want to put on something with less rating. Most tire places don't check on that. They just match the size. But remember that not all the same sizes are created equal.
As a tire dealer I am offended by this statement Art. Any reputable tire dealer, including myself, will make sure the tires are rated for the loads they will be carrying and the speeds they will be traveling. When I say REPUTABLE tire dealer, I am not including price club places like Walmart, Sam's, or Costco.

Quote:
Also know the speed rating. The higher the number, then typically the longer they will last even if you don't drive that fast, because the compound will be stronger to support the higher speeds.
The speed rating is not a number, it is a LETTER of the english alphabet. The closer you get to Z the faster the tire is rated for. The faster the rating, the SOFTER the rubber and the SHORTER the life span of the tire. The UTQGL number is most likely what you are referring to. It is the only number that reflects the quality of the tire. Usually, the higher this number is, the longer the tire will wear, but even this number does not guarantee a high mileage tire.

Quote:
Be aware of the real bargain tires, because they may be less expensive because some of their specifications are lower or not accurate. And stick to major brands, even if they are manufactured in China (most all tires are), they are engineered, manufactured and monitored using Name brand guidelines.
Definately be cautious of bargain brand tires. There are a lot of companies building private label tires out there ranging from excellent to very poor. If you want to go with a private label tire, buy it from a reputable dealer and ask lots of questions. A reputable dealer will be happy to answer your questions truthfully and accurately.
Most all tires are NOT made in China. Japan, Brazil, Spain, Korea, Taiwan, Switzerland, Mexico, Canada, and the United States of America all have factories building quality tires.

Quote:
The price you mention sounds about right, but check the specs closely.
dannyl, without knowing the size or model I can't tell you if you got a good deal or not. If you are happy with it I would say that's all that matters. Dunlop builds a fairly good mid-range light truck tire.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
My truck came with General Ameritrac. Got 50,000 out of them. The ride was OK. I decided to replace them with another set. What a mistake that was. Dont know what changed but these tires feel square. Had them balanced twice where I purchased them and paid another tire dealer to try. Thank goodness for the 30 day guarantee because these are coming off. Five hundred bucks more but I am going with the Michelin's. Regarding Art's comment about the quality of tire shops I couldn't agree more. I am sure Lonnie runs a good shop but there are none around me. No one can put the rear dually tires on correctly. Either they put one valve stem behind the other wheel so you cannot get to it to put air in it or they leave the extensions off. Most couldn't balance a tire if their life depended on it. I have been to 3 different places around my house. A local tire guy with a couple of stores, a regional guy with quite a few stores and a national chain. Same result at all three. I even warn them to check the valve stem locations before I get there but that's a waste. One place I went back to three times because of vibration. The third time the guy says we had a problem with our machine but it is fixed now. They should have called the people that bought tires and asked them if it was OK. Espically the guy that had been back twice, ME! That's been my last three tire buying experiences. Fun huh.

I sure hope your luck is better than mine!!!!!!!!! The Michelin's get put on Wednesday. Hopefully I will have something good to say after that.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
LonnieB.... you must not live in Southern California where it seems most tire stores about the quick buck and off you go. I am glad to hear you are not that way, but I have had to correct way too many (especially young in age) 90 day wonders they put behind the tire store sales desks (Goodyear, Big O, Just Tires and others - I am not familiar with Tire Country but if I am ever there and need tires I'll definitely look you up). By far, the more senior sales folks who probably learned from others' mistakes give a crap but I try not to judge the look of the salesperson when I approach the store. I haven't shopped at Walmart, Costco or other non-tire expert providers. I am glad you and others are reputable, but I must have run into too many of the "other guys". I have never met a tire dealer that claimed they are not reputable, so I prefer to be as educated about it for myself.

Oops, you're right about the speed rating being alphabetic, but I meant the translated numbers after knowing the letter it translates to a speed. Remember H is out of order but translates to a higher speed rating than its position, yes? So we can all be a little off on our generalizations. The real point is be educated about the qualities of a tire, what you need, and what you want. Then there will be too many good choices to pick from and that's good.

My apologies to you on the generalizations, but they were intended to create a buyer beware learn the letters and numbers mentality and I went by my learning (some bad) experiences. Thanks for setting things straight.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Thanks for all your responses.
My truck came with Generals and I have 51000 on the rears.
I only got 35000 on the fronts when the tread separated and I replaced them with goodyears.(I was on the road).
My tire guy has a good reputation for service and works with alot of farmers and ranchers with trucks, tractors, farm equipment etc.
For the last 29 years I've bought all my tires from him and never had a service problem. I'll be sure to ask about load rating etc.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
You wanted to know if Michelins can last 100K, yes they can, had some and changed due to age still had plenty of thread. Worth every cent.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:52 AM   #13
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I had to throw away a set of Michelins also due to age, with 80,000plus on them and half of the tread still on them.
Wonder how Coopers compare to them, had a dealer recommend Coopers. I will still only buy Michelins.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #14
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I went with Yokohama Geolander H/T very pleased
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #15
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I have a question? I have the Michelins on My 07 Dodge and the side walls have small cracks they are almost two years old. Should I be concerned or is this only a surface problem? I have 30,590 miles on them. Can anyone tell me is this normal? Thanks Randye
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #16
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
randye, you probably have nothing to worry about. The small cracks are USUALLY just on the surface and will cause you no problems. To be certain, I would suggest taking it to a tire shop you trust and have them look at the tires. You should check the DOT code also, they could be alot older than you think.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #17
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I'm in the same boat as MTPocket2 who has the square Generals. My 08 Dodge 3500 came with Ameritrac TRs and within the 1st month I was lucky enough to get General to replace 4 of the 6 tires because they could not be balanced. Within a month of the new ones being put on, 1 of the new 4 had to be replaced, and one of the remaining 2 had to be replaced. I dealt with Dodge (who passed the buck to the tire manufacturer per their warranty); I was lucky enough to get a good customer service rep who was willing to help. Well, long story short, I now have 15000 miles on them in just over a year and 3 of the 6 are 'out of round'(my way of describing it) - they can not even be 100% balanced using a 'road force' balance process. We can get them to 0/0 on the machine and within 30 miles or so they are almost an ounce out of balance. Unfortunately, given the economy and state of our jobs, I can not just go spend money on new tires so I'm relegated to enjoying the 'massaging ride' comfort (which I imagine is not doing the truck any good)... oh well, another story for another time. Once the Legislature and Governor decide what they are going to do with us State employees, we'll be making some new decisions.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My Dodge came with BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A. I had the same tires on my Ford and got 70,000 miles out of them. They had another 5k to 7k left when I bought another set of the same tires. Dollar for dollar, I'm very pleased with their service and was pleased to see this Dodge came with those same tires. These have 45,000 on them and look like they'll easily hit that 70,000 mile mark. I like Michelin, too, but so far I think I get a better bang for the buck with the BFG. Cheaper and last just about as long and are reasonably quiet and comfortable riding.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #19
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
My tire guy has recommended Yokohoma. He has them on his 1 ton PU and said they were good.
Anyone using Yokohomas?
Old 07-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #20
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

My Dodge came with BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A. I had the same tires on my Ford and got 70,000 miles out of them. They had another 5k to 7k left when I bought another set of the same tires. Dollar for dollar, I'm very pleased with their service and was pleased to see this Dodge came with those same tires. These have 45,000 on them and look like they'll easily hit that 70,000 mile mark. I like Michelin, too, but so far I think I get a better bang for the buck with the BFG. Cheaper and last just about as long and are reasonably quiet and comfortable riding.
My Dodge came with the same tires as Steve's truck. We just recently replaced them with the same BF Goodrich tires. We bought them at Costco, that was the best price we could find.

Just checked the Costco site and they do not offer the BFG anymore for my truck but they do offer the Michelin for $228.Here is a LINK.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote