Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Maybe Hook has the answer

Why does Camping World charge sooooooooo much shipping for small orders under $99? I ordered a couple of items worth $25.49 as I needed to use up a $25 voucher before expiration and was charged $13 shipping. I don't live anywhere near the boonies. Many lower priced items (Aerospace 303 / Shurflow water pumps for examples)can be purchased elsewhere for way less and offer free shipping.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:13 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It is an easy way to make more money and your customers mad. That is rule no 2. Rule no 1 make it easy for your customers to give you their money. Rule no 2 make your customers happy. If you follow those you don't need to worry about making money.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:37 AM   #3
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
I think I will stick with my local dealer, meets internet prices. When I ordered our theater seating, the shipping was going to be high, dealer says "no problem" he had a toy hauler ordered, had em put it in the hauler, no shipping. I will continue to do business with these people, as long as they stay competitive.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Local dealers if you have one and Amazon, if you have prime, for the small things you need. Camping World folks are pretty smart business people, if they actually get hurt over their policies they will change them.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I ordered 2 captains chairs from CW. They charged $8 shipping each and put them both in the same box. If I had ordered one today and the other tomorrow, they would have come in separate boxes for the same shipping fee, go figure.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Reposted by Hook "Yet I know, after owning a business for 35 years, that there are those who would whine if you hand fed them the very best there is. I choose to be positive , you choose as you like." I dunno what you meant by no contest, but I didn't mean to "Rain on Your Parade" I just thought you might have some insight as to why CW charges sooooooo much shipping for their low ticket items when others competitively sell the same product shipped for free. The two items I ordered will fit in the small mailer USPS offers for $5.95. My shipping was over double that. In support of CW ... I will say shipping on the larger ticket items is competitive.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Sometimes I don't get it either. I just paid $11.80 to have a switch sent to me. Granted, it was a specialty switch (DPDT) but no different in size, shape or weight from a standard wall switch. Perhaps is was the 'handling' rather than the shipping!!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well some one has to receive the order, find it on the shelf, package it ship it via USPS, FedX ,UPS. Look at the shipping rate for each of the shipping methods then determine what the handling was. A employee had to be paid to get it ready for shipping????

A good business person always worries about losing money and Make sure they don't. I always like the buy 3 tires and get the 4th one free. If a business really did that they would not be in business long. If it cost you more money to do business than the business you do. You will not be in business long.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #9
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Shipping rates have skyrocketed period! Across the US. We just has a tv lift ordered at $611 and new DVD through the dealer. Shipping quoted from dealer $460.00. Outrageous. Our washer weighed in at $150 lbs shipping $75.00.... Reasonalble. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense. IMO at these rates and prices I think the carriers are going to be in trouble. People we start buying local if they can. Less will order and utilize shipping.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Rich, what you are talking about are overhead, and budgeted controllable cost, that are built into the price of a sold unit. These cut into profits and the cost of delivery is also part of the equation, many, and I mean many company are padding there bottom line on shipping and handling, actual mark up on handling can and do account for total profit on a widget sold. Ever notice "buy one and get the second one free, just pay shipping and handling". The state of New Mexico and some other states actually have laws in place to prevent a merchant from profiting on shipping, can't make a profit on it, but handling is a whole different ball game. Amazon is famous for profiting on shipping, placed order for 10 bottles of vitamins(all the same), cost $38, shipping $70, total weight less then one pound, would fit into a 6"x6" box, would not ship together, would only ship separately. Needless to say did not place the order. They were going to profit on shipping and handling to the extreme. Now most of us look for free shipping offers or prime. I will support our local business men and women every chance I get. Most have realized that they must compete with the internet or fold up their tents and go home. That is good business. I work for a company that is privately owned, sales of 4 billion dollars a year, with profits to match. Good business practice and budgeting, and we don't count on making a red cent on shipping, but it is budgeted.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:48 AM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Is this really the conversation CW would like for their customers to be having about the way they do business? I would think not. If you think a business is not treating you right you should not be doing business with them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote