Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #21
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Ozz,
I plan on adding your recent acquisitions to my basement. I plan on looking at how the guy next to me has his and copy. There is always "a guy" and his name might even be Phil. The good news is you are retired and have time. A "guy" next to me in Hattiesburg had his setup in 10 mins with a cheap Radio Shack meter and he graduated from Ole Miss. Can't be that hard.
Cheers,
Mike

pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #22
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Ozz,
Since you have almost every kind of accessory for your Montana, Here is another one for your dish, a folding arm:
http://tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l...oldinglnbchart
I put this on my dish..packs away very nice.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lambchop

Ozz,
Since you have almost every kind of accessory for your Montana, Here is another one for your dish, a folding arm:
http://tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l...oldinglnbchart
I put this on my dish..packs away very nice.

Roy
Thanks! (I will order this in the morning when Sue is still asleep...)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #24
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Ozz,

We had a thread about the SWM system in '09. http://montanaadministrator.forumco....D=35217#365945

You'll need a power inverter and a SWM splitter, if they weren't provided. When properly wired, the system works like a charm. A better meter helps, but some do OK without one. The Acutrac 22 http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...racking-Meter- works well, and is much cheaper than the Birdog. With a good meter you can "dither" the dish. Don't worry, after checking the links in the above thread (8/10/09), you'll understand.

This stuff seems much more complicated than it really is. Let me know if I can help you get your system up and running.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:04 AM   #25
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sadoum Satellite sales is where I got mine, it was a 'Tailgaters Kit' came with the splitter, the power deal and all we needed to get it going, we have been up since my O.P. I appreciate the feedback. I did order the hinge assembly that my friend Roy suggested, great idea. I was thinking on how to do that, actually all it is; 2 hinges with a pull pin, but I ordered the kit. It will store much easier.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #26
jhamlin164
Established Member

M.O.C. #6997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Birdog, Birdog.... seems like it should have another 'd' in there somewhere.. anyway, I just placed an order with Amazon for a battery and 120 volt charger (left mine at home for the Sierra Hotspot) It fun buying stuff, not so much paying for it.
Could I ask how much? I like to buy from Amazon if possible. I will go there and look.
Thanks!
Hey Ozz,

One thing is for sure..............that Birdog Ultra meter certainly ain't cheap, but it sure is nice to see it say "101 found" when I set up my dish. I dropped 6 bills ($600) for mine at www.sadoun.com They are a great online vendor and give great advice via their FAQ section. The nice thing about the older DirecTv systems is that the LNBs (some of them) don't require the 21 volts of juice to power them, so a good compass gets you in the neighborhood just fine. These older systems also required that 2 cables enter your rig.

With the newer SWM setup, only one cable required, but the LNBs with the SWMs need 21 volts. That 21 volts can come via the PI-21 power inserter (DirecTV product) coupled with the Birdog meter or via the Birdog Ultra as a stand-alone meter. I started out with the Slimline 5 LNB dish and eventually upgraded to the SWM system.

If you ever want to read up on the setups and differing configurations, go to the website I mentioned above and have a look around at the "DirecTV approved" stuff!
jhamlin164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #27
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good info. I got all my stuff from them, I agree they are a good company to deal with. I have passed on my order info to two other guys. I ordered a (new) battery-powered finder from them that soulds like it will be good.