Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
jimkottke
Established Member

M.O.C. #4164
Bad time in Texas

First my pin box failure and now the a/c or heater will not worked. The a/c worked yesterday but I cannot turn it on either by remote or by using the wall receiver. I checked the voltage by a/c and has 110 v. changed the batt in the remote and nothing. Same with the furnace.

jimkottke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Jim,

Mine doesn't like to start either... I keep pushing the temp up or down, and nothing. I found if turn the fan on Low, Medium, or High the AC will finally start working. After it has been running 10-15 minutes I can put it back on Auto, and it keeps working.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Jim check all the fuses 12 volt.. and kill the power to the furnace and the A/C, then try it.
I don't know what unit you have, it's not listed in your sig.
John, there is a time delay on yours, I believe. The fan should come on first without delay.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Jim check all the fuses 12 volt.. and kill the power to the furnace and the A/C, then try it.
John, there is a time delay on yours, I believe. The fan should come on first without delay.
The delay must be really long Jim. Of course I could just be to impatient, you think?

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
After checking all the obvious things there is one more thing in the bag of tricks.
Take the grill off the rear AC and check out the wires in there. There may be a junction box. They use really bad connectors to connect those wires up in there. I think it is the blue one that goes to the wall thermostat. If that connection is broken you will not be able to get your furnace to work and probably the AC also. I know it sounds strange there is a wire in the AC that controls the furnace. But it is true.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

Quote:

The delay must be really long Jim. Of course I could just be to impatient, you think?
I joke about the time delay's to customers, about the time I get my meter out to check the unit, it times on.... every time.
I think it is around 4 minutes. Forever when you are waiting.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is a significant delay in the AC coming on in our 06 3400. I never timed it but it is a couple of min's or so..maybe longer??

Just tunned ours on from a dead stop.Had not been on for several days.It took exactly 3 min's and 24 seconds to turn on..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

There is a significant delay in the AC coming on in our 06 3400. I never timed it but it is a couple of mins or so..maybe longer??
Same here.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

Quote:

I joke about the time delay's to customers, about the time I get my meter out to check the unit, it times on.... every time.
I think it is around 4 minutes. Forever when you are waiting.

Ozz, we went from a TT to our Montana...the AC in the TT would react immediately when the thermostat was turned on or off. This is not the case with our Montana...the delay in it sometimes seems forever (especially when it is really hot in the Montana!). My GUESS is that the delay has to do with ensuring balanced power to the units...what's your take, Ozz??? Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
jimkottke
Established Member

M.O.C. #4164
A/C and heater working again. Did what everybody said,turned off the power and pulled the 12v fuses. Then turned it on . Don't why this happened with the comfort control remote. Things in Texas looking better.
jimkottke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Jim; Yeaaaa! glad Texas experience is improving...
Michael, balance is part of it, after you start an A/C or refrigeration compressor, you have maybe 250# on the discharge side and maybe 60# on the suction or low side. If you shut off the system and do not wait until it equalizes then try and start it, the compressor can't start with the high pressures. Refrigerant will equalize pressures through the expansion device; a metering orface expansion valve or just a small copper 'capillary tube'. it will even out at around 120# or so, depending on the refrigerant used. Equalization takes 3 to 4 minutes in most any system.
The second reason for a delay is that with a 120 volt unit, the fan needs to start first, so the current inrush and amperage draw does not multiply with the higher compressor amperage draw. Makes it easier on the unit as well.
Not so critical with 230 volts, but I always put a time delay on all units I install, made possible by the modern electronic thermostats, (built-in) or a solid state adjustable timer.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Yeah! Go ahead! Blame Texas! Everyone else does.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I wove Texas..
Old 03-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #14
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
The fans operating with out the compressor running also helps equalize the pressures in the system. At least that's what the big boys at the pool room told me.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:04 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ole dude

The fans operating with out the compressor running also helps equalize the pressures in the system. At least that's what the big boys at the pool room told me.

Can't hurt...
Old 03-26-2011, 06:06 AM   #16
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I just try to turn my AC on before the wife says "IT sure is HOT!"--the AC and I only make it about 1/2 the time! But it always comes on after the delay kicks in which is nice. The second AC is nice and start up immediately.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:

Jim; Yeaaaa! glad Texas experience is improving...
Michael, balance is part of it, after you start an A/C or refrigeration compressor, you have maybe 250# on the discharge side and maybe 60# on the suction or low side. If you shut off the system and do not wait until it equalizes then try and start it, the compressor can't start with the high pressures. Refrigerant will equalize pressures through the expansion device; a metering orface expansion valve or just a small copper 'capillary tube'. it will even out at around 120# or so, depending on the refrigerant used. Equalization takes 3 to 4 minutes in most any system.
The second reason for a delay is that with a 120 volt unit, the fan needs to start first, so the current inrush and amperage draw does not multiply with the higher compressor amperage draw. Makes it easier on the unit as well.
Not so critical with 230 volts, but I always put a time delay on all units I install, made possible by the modern electronic thermostats, (built-in) or a solid state adjustable timer.
Figured the delay was not there just to annoy me!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #18
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
for whatever it is worth we're in asheville freezing tonight....i only wish i could play with my A/C
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote