Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
No 120VAC in Living slide.

We've been in our Monty a week today. Bought it used from an individual. We have found a few minor issues. Like needing a new AC thermostat. But that's fixed.

One problem is I have no 120 in the Couch/Dining slide.

So far I have found an electrical box on the frame under the slide which supplies the slide. A water tight flexible conduit runs out of the box under the house.

The breaker is good. I even checked the voltage coming out of the breaker.

The question is where do I look for the other end of that conduit? Is there a termination box other than the breaker box?

Thanks in advance.
Bill

cbgaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
Thanks Just!

It's dark and rainy out there right now. I'll check it out tomorrow.

When you say under the hitch, Do you mean the hatch the generator is usually in?
Old 05-09-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
Whoa! We're really on the wrong page.

My problem is no 120Volts lighting electricity in the couch/dining slide out. When I try to turn on the 120VAC light above the dining table it doesn't light up. Also the 110 outlets in that slide don't work.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I would check the junction box on the frame under the slide. Check for power there. If so then you have to pull each outlet and light and check for loose wire. Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

I would check the junction box on the frame under the slide. Check for power there. If so then you have to pull each outlet and light and check for loose wire. Good luck.
Already found that one and checked it. No Voltage there. But I have voltage at the breaker in the breaker/converter panel.

I'm thinking there must be another junction box some where between the breaker and that junction box. Just can't find it.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cbgaloot

Quote:

Already found that one and checked it. No Voltage there. But I have voltage at the breaker in the breaker/converter panel.

I'm thinking there must be another junction box some where between the breaker and that junction box. Just can't find it.
Sorry, did not read that. Back to the circuit breakers. Did you check to make sure all the screws were tight.
I suggest you call Keystone Service and ask them if they install a junction box. Worse case you have to pull the belly pan and chase the wires backwards. Boy I would not want to do that. Just thinking out loud. Good luck. Let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
Quote:
Worse case you have to pull the belly pan and chase the wires backwards.
OH, God! I hope I don't have to do that.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bill, Could you possibly have a GFCI tripped? When mine trips I lose power in that slide. Just something else to check.... Seems strange to have power to the breaker and not the receptacles, unless you have a wire that was inadvertently cut. I know sometimes the factory has run these lines near the metal frames without protection.....And constant movement may have severed a wire or two.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Well Phil beat me to it! I'd chaeck all of the GFCIs and see if any are tripped! You never know what circuit those lights might be on and if there is a GFCI tripped somewhere it will cancel out anything on that line or circuit! Not to be a smart a--, but do you have a wall switch that controls your lights for that also? I know my 110 light in the living room are on a wall switch and I think my 12V/110 are also but it's been a whole 5 months now since I've been in the Monte and you know what they say about "oldtimers"!! I'd check out the GFCI and then the switch for a loose wire on it before digging into the depths of the belly! Keep us informed on what you find!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Bill, Could you possibly have a GFCI tripped? When mine trips I lose power in that slide. Just something else to check.... Seems strange to have power to the breaker and not the receptacles, unless you have a wire that was inadvertently cut. I know sometimes the factory has run these lines near the metal frames without protection.....And constant movement may have severed a wire or two.
BINGO! exav8tr is King of the Forum!

The GFCI next to the kitchen sink was tripped. All the lights and outlets in the slide are working now.

I'll have to check that GFCI's wiring. You can usually wire them to remove power from all circuits down line or not. I don't see a need for removing power from the slide.

Thanks very much for the help Ex-aviator!
Old 05-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I love it when a plan comes together... Glad to have helped... Just don't know why Keystone wired all these circuits on the GFCI Plug. Makes no sense, but it is what it is.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I replaced the CFCIs with new units that have a red LED to show when they are tripped.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Murf, That's a dang good idea...Are they available at Lowes/Home Depot????
Old 05-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Murf, That's a dang good idea...Are they available at Lowes/Home Depot????
Yes, they are. About $15 each last time I bought one.

When you wire it up look at the instructions one set of leads will cut power to down stream outlets, the other will leave it on.

But be careful with that because in my trailer there is at least one kitchen outlet downstream. You could install a second GFCI there.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #15
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Not an electrician but just thinking out loud. I think I would leave anything on that slide on the GFCI. My thought is if the wire feeding the slide is moving everytime the slide is operated it has a higher potential for a rub or a nick in the insulation of the wire. The GFCI is going to give you an earlier warning sign of this problem. Perhaps someone with more expertise in this area can clarify. Jim
Old 05-10-2010, 01:45 AM   #16
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

I replaced the CFCIs with new units that have a red LED to show when they are tripped.
Murf, As Phil has already said that is a great idea. Just bought one at Lowe's the other day, $15. Jim
Old 05-12-2010, 03:02 AM   #17
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We just finished a factory tour here in Goshen. I suggest you send your comments about wiring to them.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote