Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Adding Front AC

Want to add the front ac to our 2010 Big Sky. We have the Dometic low profile on order and a appointment at CW to have it installed next Wed. When I mentioned to the CW lady that the Big Sky is set up to use the ceiling ac ducts from the front ac and that we have the dual therm thermostat with the 2 zone and we want to use that to control the front ac, she didn't know if it was possible to do that.
Does anyone know if this is possible or do I need a different ac?

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
I added my front A/C after the sale because I wanted a low profile unit. The factory unit was a regular profile, and I was wanting to keep the height down. Here's what I learned from my experience with the aftermarket install:

1. You do not want to let CW talk you into a non ducted ceiling assembly. You will lose mega efficientcy with that setup. The front unit will cool the bedroom quickly and short cycle. I had mine installed this way, and quickly took it back to switch it out for the ducted ceiling assembly after one trip.
2. There is no 12 volt wire ran to the vent in the "second A/C prep" by the factory. This was done to ensure a Dometic purchase if the 2nd A/C was added later. Pretty clever, but not customer service friendly. When you add the second A/C tell CW there is a Dometic install kit for your desired configuration. It is required due to the lack of a 12 volt connection to operate the thermostat in a ducted ceiling unit.
3. If you want a unit installed that does not match up with the Dometic kit you can still do it. The installers will have to run 12 volt to the vent. Not easy, but not a huge deal. This is what I had done because I have a Carrier low profile unit. I read on this forum the Dometic low profile unit was bad about the drip pan overfilling at times and leaking into the bedroom.

Good luck, and my sincere advice is to not let Camping World talk you into a non-ducted ceinling unit. Your new camper has the ducts run right to the vent, and trust me it's a superior setup! I've had mine both ways. I am extremely happy with my current setup.

Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Helen,
After your experience with CW I'm surprised you would consider them. I think I would find a place that has an answer to your questions
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Charlie, we have had both good and bad with Camping World... The good has always been in Minnesota where we are going next, but this question was posted by Bill and he forgot to sign his name.

Helen

Thanks for the info Greg and Terry.. It is the low profile Dometic we plan on having installed.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
So if you already have a front AC installed and not ducted, how hard is it to make it ducted?

cbgaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Not extremely hard for a skilled installer. It would involve removing some ceiling paneling and extending the existing duct work to the front A/C. You would have to purchase a new lower ceiling unit. If you camp in hot weather a lot it is really a big benefit. Finding someone willing to do it for a fair price would be the challenge. Most repair shops only want to do routine work now days.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have a non ducted unit in the BR. It is the 13,500 unit by Dometic, Brisk Air maybe?. To the best of my knowledge, it has never "short cycled". Often times we use the BR air once the LR has coooled down to keep the rest of the trailer cool with less noise. If we leave it on high it will freeze us out of the BR. Yes it is noisy and yes it moves alot of air and Yes we love it. We also use ear plugs when we sleep. Our LR AC is ducted and there are two ducts in the BR that blow air when the LR AC is on, not sure I would want to tie into them with a front AC.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Phil the situation I'm talking about is when you need both units running on high to keep the camper cool in extreme heat and humidity. The bedroom unit will freeze the bedroom all on its own, and with the ducted unit on it gets even more help to lower the bedroom temp quick. Even if you open the quick cool dump some air still comes out of the vents. The frozen bedroom results in the short cycling of the cooling cycle. All this means is the fan is blowing but the compressor knocks off quickly because it is very cool at the bedroom unit. Switching to a fully ducted system the cool air is spread evenly thoughout the camper, so now the bedroom isn't freezing while the living area is warm. It sounds like your setup works well for you. Many places where I camp is just too hot and humid, and I need two units blowing through the ductwork on high to stay cool. I did try it the other way first, and the bedroom could be turned into a meat locker. The living area is too big for one unit to cool in this heat.