Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Fifth wheel weight scale

Has anyone used this product? It is a scale that can be used to weigh your TT or 5er pin weight.

http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I've never used one but it does look pretty handy.
I think for $110.00 though, I'll just use the free grain elevator scale down the street.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I would pay the $8.00 for truck scale weight, disconnect and weigh just the truck for $1.00 reweigh and calculate all the weights.

Based on the picture not sure how it would weigh the tongue/nose weight of the 5th wheel.

Since our weight should not change that much is it worth the money?

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
My problem is I don't have a free grain elevator down the street. :-(

I use a scale up the street at a moving company that charges $10 for each weight measurement certificate. The good news is if I just weigh the front wheels, the total and just the RV while it's on the truck, and don't ask for a certificate for anything it's all 3 weights for $10 but it's written on a piece of paper with no names or description. Then I just do the math. Weighing the truck by itself was another $10 (I should have weighed the front, then the total, then the rear).
Old 07-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Use your bathroom scales with a lever.

BTW: They quote a guy from Santa Ana, CA on their site. Go up and borrow his unit for a while. g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
ok,ok, what am I missing here? How are you weighing your 5th wheel pin weight with this ? Or do you need to get two of them,one for each leg? But if you do that,it won't give you an accurate pin weight from there. I'm not the dimmest bulb on the block,but my common sense is missing something on this.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
The instructions are in this link: "Open a .PDF Version of the TOWING GUIDE" (look for page 12)

On edit NOTE: Copying the link is not working. Look for the PDF further down in the web page.

First, for our rigs, I think the 0-5000 lb scale is needed. You might get away with the 0-2000 lb but I think a Monty's pin weight will exceed it.

You use your TV and basically you use blocks of wood (or stabilize your hitch to prevent its movement and create a flat surface), then center the scale as you drop the 5er pin on top of it and read the needle.

I found out about this product in another forum and wanted to get a feel from the membership. It's seems unnecessary and too pricey to be practical for an individual owner. It would be cool to have these at dealerships as part of the PDI for the TV and RV combination. But IMO a dealer wouldn't want one because they could lose a sale ON THE SPOT.

Bigmurf - If I knew what part of Santa Ana, I might try and look him up.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
Frankenstien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7274
Here in Western WA we have an advantage as most of our truck scales (DOT) when not weighing big rigs are still activated. so we can do a pull through get our weights and move on. I have found with a full load of Water, propane, groceries, food, Dogs, generator extra gas, extra water 15 gal (we dry camp most of the time)Wife, my fat butt, and a good supply of weekend alcohol, I top the scales at 22K. Just a bit over the GVWR by the mnf.
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
It would be by far easier to just pull into a Flying J or a truck stop and then get a weight; un-hook and then get another weight. I did this and got a firm pin weight of 2600 lbs. Now I know. I also realize it could change a little but that will be my basic thinking as to the pin weight. A one time expense shouldn’t be a problem. Also by going there you get a break down of the weight on each axle.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:14 AM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
On our last trip, we stopped at a truck stop that had a CAT scale. I now know the weight of each axle. I previously weighed the TV by itself. By diong the math, I know our pin weight and also know that we are within weight limits for all axles. It cost $8.00 for the CAT scale, a whole lot cheaper and easier than trying to do it myself.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
How, exactly, would one use that thing to determine FW pinweight? It's not tall enough to set the pin on and just raise the landing gear off the ground without setting the scale on something taller (like what?). I also don't think I'd want to use that to balance the front of the rig at the pin when I raise the landing gear to get the pinweight. I must be missing something. It appears it's meant for tongue type trailers rather than fifthwheels. Right? I could see it working for that purpose and it might be valuable to those with different loads each trip.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I guess I am missing something. Why would anyone need to weigh the kingpin weight so often?? I have weighed mine at a moving company along with the truck and trailer weighs. I was loaded for a typical trip and use that as my travel weight. I don't add more 500 lbs more at anytime(more water, grey water, black water, stuff). So 20% of 500 is 100 lbs. more on my kingpin. Not a problem for me--with about 20K of travel it has worked out OK. I will keep my money for some fun stuff!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have weighed this thing several times over the last 3 years in about every configuration. It has not varied much. I note that the RVESF will be at the fall rally. Due to bad weather we missed them at the Escapee's rally last month. They did give seminars on Weight and Tires that were very informative. We have already signed up to be weighed as they do a complete and comprehensive weigh program. There is a charge for the service. I am interested in what is on each wheel as we never have done that... am also interested in "exactly" what our pin weight is...Now... so we can properly address the air in the rear tires question..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #14
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I am interested by the idea of weighing left versus right. Like a poster here from WA, we drive over the MOT scales when they are not in active use. I can drive one side only along the scale, then the other side, while Kathy takes the weights off the display. We can do the math and figure out any issues.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timandsusan

I guess I am missing something. Why would anyone need to weigh the kingpin weight so often??
Tim, I'm assuming my comment that it might be valuable to someone needing tongue weight because of varying weights each trip might have precipitated your question. Sorry I was ambiguous in my reply. I was thinking not of a travel trailer but perhaps a large flatbed being used in a business where it might have significantly varying weights on the flatbed from trip to trip.

We don't weigh ours very often. In fact, I've not weighed the whole rig with this truck. Last weigh was with the Ford. But I have weighed the truck and the Montana weights have not changed significantly. I'm making the assumption the hitch height is close enough to the same to not materially change the pinweight. One of these days I'll pull in while we're on the road and get the weights again.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote