Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2018, 07:41 PM   #1
Bsorge
Established Member

M.O.C. #19802
Pirit heated hose

I woke up this morning 20° outside and no water. I just purchased a Pirit heated hose 24 days ago and found it to be totally frozen solid this morning. I hooked up my regular water hose to have running water and found out that some of the water lines were frozen also. I have skirted my 5th wheel and also have a heater running underneath my camper. I also have a water regulator so I turn on the regular hose and heard water flowing through it constantly, but I had no water running inside. I heard a loud pop and now my underbelly shield started to say. I'm sure that I have a broken line or lines somewhere. Has this happened to anyone else?? If so did the hose company stand behind their product? Are they responsible for the damage?? I tried to call the Pirit company after I found the water running but had to leave a voicemail. No response yet from them. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

PS I do have a guy coming tomorrow to fix my problems.

Bsorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
They should stand behind their hose but I don’t see how they would be responsible for a frozen water line in the camper.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've had ours with no problems for eight years now, but we also clipped the thermostat so it's away from the hose and use a 6" hose I got from rvwaterfilterstore.com at the city water connection so the thermostat is hanging completely out of the rig in the outside temps. I also use a lighted extension cord to plug it in with so I can check to see if the breaker of GFI is tripped at a distance. Usually the park has a heat tape plugged in there also and I don't want their problem to cause one for me. I'm also not sure how the outside hose freezing could cause and inside problem. The furnace is supposed to keep that from happening, unless you're using another heat source. I'd check your furnace connections and make sure the vent line that dumps in the utility runs isn't blocked.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We've had our Pirit hose for over five years now and the only time it froze was when it was plugged into the GFI outlet on the park pedestal with an extension cord and it had rained overnight, got the hose plug to the extension cord wet which tripped the GFI outlet. I rigged up a soda bottle with the top cut off it and a wire coat hanger stuck in the ground and put the plugs that got wet and tripped the GFI up inside the inverted soda bottle which kept water away from the connection. The hose has worked flawlessly since. You definitely must keep the thermostat that is cable tied to the hose outside the rig so it's exposed to the cold air, or the hose will not turn on when it gets cold.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bryan, First , what is the year and model of your unit? What do you have for skirting on/under your unit? Are you running your furnace as well as some electric heaters inside the unit? If you are not running your furnace or have it on a very low setting, you are not putting enough heat into the underbelly where the water lines are. This is a must if you don't want your lines to freeze. You can also put a drop light or cord with a 60 - 100 watt bulb in it and leave it on to put heat into the storage area. Just make sure you do not have it close to anything that will catch fire or you can put a small ceramic heater in the basement/storage area that will do the same thing. I can't help you with the Pirit hose problem unless your hose was not hooked up to an electric 120 plug. It is thermostatically controlled so there may be a problem there. You can also wrap your regular hose in a heat tape, tape it in place with electrical tape, wrap the hose in aluminum foil and then put foam pipe insulation or swim noodles you can buy at any hardware store or Walmart around the whole thing and tape it closed. Drop me a PM(Private Message) and I'll give you more ideas to keep your unit warmer. Oh, by the way, I'm also from Nebraska but we don't live in our unit but I have done a lot of work to keep the unit warmer when in cool/cold weather.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I've only had mine for a few months and it's never failed to heat. It does leak however. It only leaks when it's not heating. Strange thing.

I ordered another one since I don't think the camco one will get the thermostat out of the heated wet bay. It's at home and I haven''t been home yet.

Pirit emailed me back an told me to take pics of the problem and ship it to them. Since it only leaks part of the time and it's only a drip I don't hold out a lot of hope that they'll figure it out.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
Goose
Established Member

M.O.C. #20575
I make my own heated hose. I use a 25 ft hose and I wrap the hose with heavy duty aluminum foil and then using electrical tape in a spiral motion tape the 30 ft 210 watt heat trace (from Lowe's) to the wrapped hose with the thermostat on the faucet end of the hose. The aluminum foil helps to conduct the heat all the way around the hose. I then attached 1-inch pipe insulation to the hose using wire ties. No issues through two winters with temps in the teens.
PullRite SuperGlide 24K
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #8
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
My pirit hose finally started leaking so much from where the thermostat wires come out that I had to hook up the new one.

Now to try out their warranty when I get time to box it up.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
My pirit hose finally started leaking so much from where the thermostat wires come out that I had to hook up the new one.

Now to try out their warranty when I get time to box it up.
I have heard this many times and it is the reason I constructed my own heated hose. Have been using it 10 years now 8 of which are full-time.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
I make my own heated hose. I use a 25 ft hose and I wrap the hose with heavy duty aluminum foil and then using electrical tape in a spiral motion tape the 30 ft 210 watt heat trace (from Lowe's) to the wrapped hose with the thermostat on the faucet end of the hose. The aluminum foil helps to conduct the heat all the way around the hose. I then attached 1-inch pipe insulation to the hose using wire ties. No issues through two winters with temps in the teens.
Aluminum foil isn't thick enough to conduct heat around the hose, but it will reflect radiant heat.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:06 AM   #11
Goose
Established Member

M.O.C. #20575
JamesD aluminum is actually a great conductor of heat when thin. That is why radiators and air conditioner coil fins are constructed with thin aluminum. The radiant reflection is not an issue since it is covered with a black foam 1/2 inch insulating tube.
PullRite SuperGlide 24K
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote