Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Travelling In Mexico

Any experiences in travelling in Mexico with your Monty? I know you need special insurance, medical,etc.; but what should one know if travelling as a couple or in a small Caravan; say if you were spending the winter months in that Country? Would like to know if this would be advisable in comparison to the U.S. and Canada.
Have air travelled and cruised to many areas of Mexico, but what are the roads, accomodations, plus other services like when travelling with a 5th wheel? Thanks for any suggestions and recommendations. Ellis

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
In our limited experience traveling in Mexico we found things to be much like travel in the U.S. and Canada. Some differences would be to NOT travel in rural areas at night. The reason is cattle. There are no fences to keep them off the road.

Just do what you'd do in any U.S. cities: Watch where you are and who is around you. We had no trouble the few days we were in Puerto Penasco (located at the very top of the Gulf of California). We have had several friends spend weeks down in that area and had nothing but great things to say about their stay. Fueling stations are State owned. We experienced no problems with them. We ate food prepared at various restaurants and found them to be the same as any good restaurant.

There are certain areas I'd avoid completely: Juarez, Tiajuana, Mexicali. These are apparently the target areas for the drug dealers and much of the violence.

Enjoy and keep the Forum informed of what you experience in your travels.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is the latest from the Dept of State

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...a/pa_4491.html

We traveled extensively in Mexico a few years ago but as a US Federal Employee. We were well briefed on travel and safety.We are hearing from friends that it is much worse now with the drug cartels more in control than the Government. We would not RV in Mexico
particularly alone. A shopping trip over the border and back is one thing. Rv'ing is another. Just my opinion...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Last time I walked across to visit, someone tried to run over me, on purpose. Fat boy can still jump fast!
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Stichwerks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8548
Our only experience with travel on Mexico is going to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco). We have been going for over 20 years and never have had a problem. In fact we leave Tuesday for a couple of weeks at Playa Bonita RV Resort. Have heard of some small problems but they seem to be isolated at this time. Travel requirements are anyone over 18 needs a passport to get back in to the USA. This just changed this past week. Other than that the tacos are great, the beer cold and the tequila is dangerous. In Rocky Point there are quite a few RV resorts but I would recommend the Playa Bonita for the best view and beach. The Reef is also good. Hope this helps
Old 06-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My last name is Martinez and I don't feel comfortable about traveling to Mexico at this time as many of my compadres feel the same. The violence and issues there right now are a little disconcerting. I think things will improve over time, but I don't see it yet.

Good luck in your plans.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I know I’ve mentioned this before but this guy boon docks
full time in Mexico. Tioga George