Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2008, 02:45 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Tx to Va, private campgrounds seem to be FULL

We left the RGV and headed east. Our experience so far is that the private campgrounds are rather full, or, are TOTALLY full. Almost every night that we have used a private campground, the one we ended up in was NOT our first choice.

State parks are NOT full! We stayed at Gulf State Park, Gulf Shores, Alamaba, and TRUE we were there after many of the Snow Birds had headed north, but we were able to get a great spot, no reservation, just drove in. (thanks to OntMont who was already there and gave us the scoop on availability). Also stopped in South Carolina, mile marker 1 on the 85, Hartwell Rec area, Fair Play SC. Called about 30 minutes from there, paid by phone, HUGE site, electric, water, less than $20., clean and campground was pretty much empty.

Now true there were some state parks we checked along this route that we could NOT get Big Butt and Tana in, but, some of the sites we have been in at the private parks were nothing to write home about.

Just find it interesting with the price of fuel that the privates are full and the states are not???

Not sure if this is just cause the Snow Birds and Winter Texans are heading home, but, we have not experienced this FULLNESS before during the same time frame. In 2001 and 2002 when we spent 6 to 8 weeks in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia we had EMPTY campgrounds to pick from, never a problem staying exactly where we wanted to for as long as we wanted. Except in Naples Florida and Ft. Lauderdale Florida in 2002, in February. And, we still got into the parks of choice.

So, price of fuel does not stop us?? There are more and more RVers?? Less and less campgrounds?? Dunno, but, find it interesting.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:22 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Maybe more people are staying in one place on a "seasonal" site in the private parks, rather than traveling around. State Parks usually limit the length of stay and don't accommodate "seasonals".
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
That is part of it, for sure! Good point John!
Old 04-05-2008, 06:00 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Carol, I stopped by the dealer that is going to support us at the Branson Rally. I met 2 different couples in the lobby that had just purchased new units that morning. When talking to the owner he told me the first 3 months of this year has been the best since he has been in business. Don't look like $4.00 diesel is affecting the buying.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Maybe we are all out spending our kids inheritance $$ ????

Old 04-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Carol and John, I have found the same thing to be true--even of state parks. We always go to St. Andrews in early May and have never had trouble getting a choice site, until this year. We did finally get a site, but it is certainly not our first choice.

And next week we are going down to College Station (home of Texas A&M University) and we found our first two choices of parks FULL. Wound up at a much less desirable and more poorly located park. Also found the KOA at Fredericksburg getting full. I requested to stay over an extra day or two and they said they could accommodate me, but we might have to move sites since they are nearing full.

This year is clearly different than we have experienced before. I too thoght about the possibility of local people filling up the preservable sites. Don't know how else to account for it.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
John showed us a rig at Gulf State Park while we were there, believe it was an Airstream, is that right John??

He told us the people are homeless.

I asked him, what is the difference in Homeless and Full timing, cept maybe the state of mind??

Foreclosure rates are SKY high?? Those people have to live somewhere, maybe they are the homeless/fulltimers???
Old 04-06-2008, 04:26 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
David,
Have you looked into River Valley Campground (http://www.rioraft.com/campground.html)

Pretty Centrally located between SA, Austin, San Marcos and New Braunfels.

PA Friendly. I have stayed there twice and will go back again in the fall.
Summer rates are from April 1 through March (Just missed PA Rates)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:51 AM   #9
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
This is still Spring Break time so that MIGHT account for some of the additional people. Also, people may be opting for local (in country) travel/vacations what with airlines dropping like flies, costs increasing, limits on luggage, and security being such a bear (NOT a complaint about having security mind you) air travel is getting to the point of not being fun anymore. Another thought is that Easter was early this year and that seems to be a traditional "cut off" point for those who migrated down south to start the return migration north.

I also observed multiple rental RVs (obvious because of their attached advertising) on I-75 on my return from Atlanta to Orlando area on Friday. Most of them were northbound. Could be that people are finally realizing that these United States have a whole lot to offer culturally and historically and that it is time to see some of what we have to offer locally.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:10 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Robin,

All good points,

Our travels from the RGV started the week AFTER Easter, but, we did learn that Louisiana did have Spring Break that same week.

I am sure with the stories of hotels and their lack of cleanliness, and hard times, and air travel being difficult (UGHAHHH FOR SURE!), all contribute to more RVs on the road.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I know we aren't pulling the Monty up to Illinois with us like we planned because of the $4.00 diesel. We had planned on going up to the Dakotas and staying several weeks, but Bob has to be back and the end of May for a seminar. Just not worth pulling at diesel rates if we can't stay long.

Besides we will stop in Branson for a week and stay with some friends for free.

We go to local RV parks instead of long trips. There is an RV park near Dripping Springs that looks nice for those that are trying to find something near Austin. Guadalupe River RV Park in Kerrville is awesome. Sunset Point in Marble Falls is great, but getting pricy. Several Texas Parks around Austin as well as the Corp of Engineers Potters Creek near Canyon Lake.

So with diesel prices as high as they are we are traveling with three other couples at least one weekend a month and staying close to home.

We might be part of the problem Already have a week booked for Fourth of July and New Years eve.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Thanks, Waynem, but we are meeting friends who had already committed to KOA at Fredericksburg. We will be arriving there next Sunday and staying for a week. We hope the bluebonnets are better this year than last. We missed the azaleas in Tyler by about a week (too late), but our azaleas around our own house are just coming into full bloom.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:01 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Blue Bonnets have been out full bloom this past week. I hope they hold up for you.

I noticed that the CG's around here are, as a minimum, 3/4 full. Spring Break is a consideration and you have to remember that Spring Break is not the same week for all schools and all States. New England is just now into some of their Spring Breaks this week, according to my brother.

We still plan on traveling this coming month for a few months. Goint on up to New England via Pensacola, FL.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote