Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
Montana_4946

M.O.C. #4946
Sitting here with no 5er

Well, I am stting here at home reading the computer and the wife is just waiting.

Went to pick up my 3000RK on Saturday
The battery is dead, very dead.
When I hooked it up to the TV the Prodigy detected a short in the brakes.
First another guy tells me it was my trucks fault.
So I tell him, hey it worked with my TT last week.
OK OK, we'll change the cable, that's what is bad.
Nope, still has a short and I need to take my truck to where they put in the plug in the bed since it's my fault and not theirs.
The tech has a tester, SO then they tell me, the tester doesn't check everything.
About that time, I just wanted to show him, so I pulled over to a Mountaineer, hooked up and Gee it ain't my truck.

So they still have my 5er and I have an empty driveway

Anyone had this problem?

Thanks for all the neat ideas that I have been reading on here.

Ed

Montana_4946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Ed,

There have been a lot of people that have had the same problem with their brakes, which usually ends up being something like a wire rubbing against the axle or frame, that has been blamed on the owners TV. But this is the first time I've heard of such a simple way to prove it's not your fault. That was a great idea!

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
shotdir, have them check backside of wheel(inside). Look for the brake wires to see if they have shorted out after having the insulation rubbed off. It could be on either side of trailer. This did happen to my 5er. Good luck.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
s

Posted - Feb 07 2006 : 8:14:52 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Topic Send JH Sechelt a Private Message Reply with Quote
For those of us out there pulling our monties with 2005 Ford trucks with the intergrated brake controller.

Like others, I kept getting warnings on the message board in the center of my dashboard telling me my trailer has become unplugged. that in itself was bad enough but that constant beep that came with each warning was enough to drive you nuts.

Now thanks to this MOC Forums I found the problem. It is not easy just to pop over to our dealer (100 miles away plus a ferry to catch ), it costs too much to go there with every little thing that's wrong, so I try to fix as much as I can on my own.

I had checked all conections, ( juction box under the pin box and all the conections to the brake drums, and could not find any problem.
I was sure my truck was OK as we have pulled our last trailer all over the west coast and never had a problem.

...........anyways after reading as much as I could find on this forum I decided it must be inside one of the brake drums. Now which one?
It seems that most of the problems were found in the right rear drum, so why not. I took the tire and then the drum off and there it was, right there.

The Magenet has two wires going to it and one of them was rubbed right thru to the copper wire. The wires have two little clips that hold them to the actuator Arm, and one had come loose or was never clipped on. The rubbed part of the wire was about 1 & 1/2 " in front of the magnet. It was rubbing on the face of the brake drum right where the wheel studs go thru the drum. Not a hard fix, a little Electrian's tape, Hook up the wire clip properly, make sure nothing is going to rub and put the drum and `wheel back together. Took it out for a 15 mile ride a little while ago and not a peep.

thanks to everyone who takes the time to post on this forum. It can be very educational when we all work together, like we do on Montanaowners.com

John & Dawn
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sorry to hear you having trouble with your new coach. Hope the dealership is able to get it fixed and have your new coach to you soon.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:00 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Had the same problem when I got my 05 Ford and it was not with a Keystone product but a Terry TT, problem was a broken brake wire on one of the camper brakes.. That wire issue is on my PDI when we pick up our 3400.Brake test and check of all the underside wireing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:33 AM   #7
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Rich, You will be there long time if you are going to check the underside wiring. You cannot get to it with the artic package it's all covered up unless you drop each panel and look. If you going to do that better have good cordless drill battery and spare, lots of self tapping screws that hold it to frame.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:14 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bad choice of words..I meant the wiring to the brakes. I would like to be able to check the underside wiring as from what I saw at the factory it is a mess. I would give them the extra money for about 50 tie wraps or so to secure the wiring when they build my 3400.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #9
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I hear you.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:06 AM   #10
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
ED,
Have them check the ground wire from the brakes to the frame.
It has probably come disconnected at the fitting.
Sometimes, when the front is lifted up high (like a forklift used at dealers to move trailers and 5th wheels around) the wire breaks loose from the connector.
The wires are to short to start with.
It happened to mine.
GOOD LUCK!!!
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:10 AM   #11
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We had that happen with our Monty...bad magnet.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:11 AM   #12
Montana_4946

M.O.C. #4946
Well it's home - and man is it BIG!

I couldn't drive it down the side of the property because of trees and the roof line of the house. So I cut out a 16 foot section of the fence and installed a sliding gate; dug up the grass and put down rock for it to sit on and plugged it into the house.

Now all the neighbors want to hang around, have drinks, watch the TV and stay cozy with the fireplace on.

Thanks for all the help
Montana_4946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:42 AM   #13
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
YIPPPPPPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Here's to lots and lots of fun in your Montana! Enjoy ...

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:15 AM   #14
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
We're glad you got it home!! We had to do a lot of tree trimming before we brought ours in too. We have it parked down at our lake. I keep thinking this will be the best campsite ever. We went down to Florida to Dan's mom's for Thanksgiving last year. We told her how big it was, but we still had to trim some trees on our way in!! They were so shocked about the size - we kept telling her "just picture a semi coming up the drive"! They believe us now! We bought our 3000RK off the lot, so we didn't get the fireplace option - we will have one by next winter though. Our friends like to hang out as well. Enjoy yourselves, welcome to the forum and share your adventures!!
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
So happy to hear the Monty is finally home. Hope it does not stay home too long, there are many places to go and people to see. Congrats!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations! Now the fun begins!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote