Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
neeoma

M.O.C. #8102
Satellite tv domes

We have just pruchased a 2008 Montana and the information says it is pre-wired for satellite TV. We are looking at "domes" Can anyone tell me which dome works best? Winegard, Tracvision or King?
We plan to have the dealer install the dome when we figure out which one to buy. My question is, does one brand work better than another or is it just a matter of choice according to where we can purchase the dome?
Thanks for your help
neeoma and ted, colorado

neeoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Have you considered a portable dish?
With a fix roof dish you have to be careful were you park,If tree's
or anything else are blocking your view of the sky you will have to reposition your trailer if possible.
With a portable dish you can move it around your camping spot until you get a clear shot of the Sky's.
I just purchased a portable Directv tripod,30'of cable and 18 in. dish for 49.95. Works great!
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:53 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome to the Forum Neeoma and Ted! We have a lot of roots in that town of love

We use the Roadtrip SD and it has worked wonderful for us. I have never used the other brands, so I can't compare.

I picked the Roadtrip primarily because of the height (12" high). We installed right above the hall and it did not change our height, as seen in our sig pic below (front AC still the highest). We were also steered there by the Camping World salesman as they had just become the Winegard authorized service center and promoted the winegard as having better reliability. The roadtrip was also upgradable to the new satellite additions that occurred in fall 2007 (but we haven't performed the upgrade yet). As a new dome, the upgrade will already be incorporated.

We use the dome for Dish Network, but it also works for Direct TV. We receive HDTV and use the Dish HD receiver.

Only once did we not get reception due to trees. I used my backup portable dish that I still keep in the basement, although we will not bother carrying that this year. We could have survived without TV for that one night, and I wasted most of it trying to set up the portable dish. Having the dome is like getting your first garage door opener or sprinkler system, you won't go back. If only our rig had been pre-wired (wow). That would have saved me days of work.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:13 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When we purchased the Hanna we had the dealer install a King Dome. I have had a lot of trouble finding the darn satellites with it. Once found, it works fine. If I had to do it over again I would opt for the portable one like JJackflash posted. Put the $1500 to some other good use. With the new technology of satellite finders it should be easy to find a satellite. So far we have not parked where trees have interfered, but I have look on-line at a lot of sites we would like to visit that state in their brochure that trees may block sat signals.

I wish I could remember the name of the PORTABLE AUTOMATIC SATELLITE ANTENNA that was on display at the Houston RV Show. Very small and compact. Probably a little over 1 foot square. Maybe someone else that went can remember the name. I'd do research on it before I bought it.

Good luck.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:23 AM   #5
4 beader
Established Member

M.O.C. #8190
It is called VuQube. CW is selling it for $699.00. The only issue I see is that it is so portable and lightweight, it can easily "walk off" as there is no way to secure it.
4 beader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:28 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
neeoma and Ted, Welcome to the best darned forum on the www. If you are considering upgrading to HDTV, then Winegard has a new sat antenna due out this week. It is called "The Traveler" and is sold by CW for about $1800. I know that's alot of bucks, but it is one switch ooperation in that you turn it on and it automatically locates the sats. It is not a dome, but rather like a dish that is mounted to top of rig. Of course, what was said earlier about trees is in play I'm sure. We have one on order and will be installing it in Tucson. We did have the King Dome until CW disconnected it (long story, another post), and liked it fine. Hope this helps some and happy camping.....BTW we do carry the portable dish also and have been using it since early December....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
neeoma

M.O.C. #8102
Thank you all for the warm welcome to MOC and for your comments about satellite TV. We appreciate all your information. Our Montana will be ready for our inspection on the 25th. Hopefully we will have made the right decision about satellite by then, Our TV is HD according to the papers so guess that is one problem we won't have to face in 2009.
We are looking forward to meeting lots of new friends in the near future. Any more advice is very welcome.
Ted & Neeoma
neeoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:33 AM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
You will be happy with the Winegard or King Dome as long as you get the one that is fully automatic. You just push a button and it does the rest.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:26 AM   #9
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I am having a hard time spending the 1800 for HD as we are just weekender's/vacationers. I had a seeking Winegard on my TT (standard def). I worry about theft of the VuCube so I'm leaning toward a portable dish w/tripod. The cost of $49.00 is attractive! How much effort is to find the satellites once set up? Are their satellite finders you use?
Thanks
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:01 AM   #10
4 beader
Established Member

M.O.C. #8190
It may just be me, but with a dish on a tripod (Dish Network 500) I have been able to lock in the satilites in a few minutes, all the way up to an hour (and then I gave up to try it again the next day.) I do like the idea of the VuQube, but as you mentioned it scares me thinking about how to secure it. The domes being over a thousand $$ more than the VuQube really gives me pause.
4 beader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:13 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The DW and I called the portable dish the "Divorce Dish". It could ruin the trip faster than a flat tire or a tow truck. The portable went and the marriage stayed.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Sometimes it takes a few minutes and other times it takes longer. But I will say, the more you set it up the easier it gets. You need a level, compass & satellite meter. JMHO
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The VuCube can be mounted instead of being used portable. If mounted, it give you a "LITTLE" better theft deterrent. They have to climb the ladder, in plain view of the campground. If they steal that, then they probably broke in to the trailer and took other items also. Does it ever end!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote