Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
What do you do with it...?

Switching over the factory installed king pin to a Fifth Airborne, what do you do with the old one? does it hold any value to anyone ever...? Considering the fact that hopefully next year we will be full-timers, we really don't have anywhere to store it.
Also, what do you guys do for air in the 5er tires. In the winter after being stationary for 3-4 months, we need to put air in the tires prior to moving the 5er. Do you carry your own compressor? and if you do what type do you use that doesn't take up a lot of room.

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:32 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Mor-Ryde told me to hang onto the old hitch in case we didn't like it and wanted to go back to our old one. No way that is going to happen. I guess mine will hit the scrape metal bin at the dump. Re the tires. We didn't lose any air over the winter in the south, but I usually hit the first Flying J to check the tires.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:53 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dave, many people buy the pancake tank type Sears and others have, (Home Depot, Lowe's, Harbor Freight, very fast, high pressure and not too expensive. They have a small footprint as well for storage.
You have the air bags, so maybe a high capacity 12 volt model would be good to have, Harbor Freight.
12 volt compressor:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_0450.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_0457.jpg
Harbor freight ad.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93186

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:50 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I switched to the Mor-Ryde king pin this summer while on the road and I carried the old one for about two months in the back of TV. I finally dropped it at a dealer while having warranty work done. Doesn't seem to have any value.

I bought a 120VAC Compressor from Sears. I de-air my tires when I drop trailer and re-air when I get ready to pull. Compressor was an $80 special from Sears and works fine. I had a 12 volt but did not like it. It took forever to fill a tire to 80 psi from 55 psi.

I'm sure there are good 12 volters out there.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
My old pin box is in my storage building at home. Didn't want to give it to the dealer, and for now it's not in the way.

I got a 12v pump at Harbor Freight, does fine. It is like the third one down Ozz has above. If you don't need it right now, you can usually catch them on sale.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Our Harbor Freight here in Omaha has the 12 volt, 150psi, high volume air compressor Ozz has on his third site on sale now till October 15th for $49.99. It's original price is $69.99. Lot # is 93186 if you are interested. Think I'll pick one up tomarrow and have it in my Monty as a spare compressor!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
They are really good, but if you mount it on your truck/Monte with a tank, get a pressure switch to cycle it, so it won't burn up. If you use it like it comes and monitor it, no problem. Tighten the cap screws on the head, my two compressors were loose.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:48 AM   #8
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dandt

Switching over the factory installed king pin to a Fifth Airborne, what do you do with the old one? does it hold any value to anyone ever...? Considering the fact that hopefully next year we will be full-timers, we really don't have anywhere to store it.
Hang on to it. If you ever want to sell your rig, put the old one on it to sell it. You paid alot of money for the Airborne, so you might as well use it on your next rig, and save the cost of having to buy another Airborne again. Odds are it will fit.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Hey, it is teel. A recyvler may buy it.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote