Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
door won't unlock

We are new fulltimers, having had our Montana 3475RL for only two weeks. Yesterday we were unable to open our door with either one of our keys. My husband had to crawl in through the clothes hamper opening. (Thank goodness, he is slim enough!) He then had to take the lock apart to get the door open. Has anyone else had a similiar problem?

Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I think this topic has come up a few times. Perhaps a search for it might bring up some past experiences. And there will be someone by any minute to share some more info about this topic.

And welcome to the Forum. If you have a Montana then you've found a home!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Once had the little screen door latch out of adjustment and you couldn't open the door. The door locks released ok and the handle opened but the screen catch wouldn't release. Kept the door from opening. I thought I might have to try the laundry chute trick but was lucky enough to wiggle everything just so and it popped open. Figured out the adjustment on the screen door catch was at fault and had a heck of a time finding just the right combination on the adjustment so it worked correctly.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:58 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yep, had it happen, as have several others, there is a pin in the handle (inside, door, not screen door). It slipped out and we were inside and could not get out. Once out, we pushed pin back into position and put a dab of silicone on the bottom, which held it in. This has been discussed a couple of times, so do a search, be sure to open up the time limitations on the search to the max. Also search in the archives, see right side of front page of MOC. I believe other MOC members have had slightly different situations, they will happen along and share.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:19 AM   #5
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Happened to me and I just hooked the trailer up and pulled it to the dealer and had them replace the whole lock because the Montana was only 5 days old. There are some bad locks out there. Just call the dealer and have them get you a new one, they should have them in stock. Takes about 5 minutes to change it out. Nothing major. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:39 AM   #6
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Charlotte,
We had the same problem when our 3000RK was new. We did the laundry shute thing for the night. Called our dealer in the morning, they sent us a new one and we sent the old one back. Was a easy replacement.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #7
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
Thanks to everyone who replied to our door lock adventure. My first adventure with our Montana was the first time I washed clothes. I was keeping an eye on the gray tank and suddenly I had back up in the toliet. My husband called the dealer and they said "Oh yeah, the factory sometimes hooks the washer drain to the black water tank. It won't hurt anything." They told us we could bring it in to be changed but it would take a day to a day and half to fix it. We are fulltimers and do not live close to the dealer so we decided we would leave it as it is. We also hope this will help clean the black tank. This means that I have to empty it twice as much or leave it open to drain directly. We are wondering what our next adventure will be. Oh, well we wanted an adventure. By the way, we are having trouble with our remote on the air conditioner also. We thought we were just doing something wrong.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:33 PM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Charlotte,

Cannot state strongly enough that we would NEVER leave the black water tank open for extended periods of time. Granted, plumbed the way it is, you will have to open it to do your laundry, but to leave it open during other times, is asking for a mountain of trouble, and it won't be a molehill You will have an adventure if you leave the black tank pull in the open position. ewww.

Enjoy that Montana and the full timing life, you are living the dream of many of us MOCers.

Carol
Old 06-03-2006, 11:23 AM   #9
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
Yes, I wasn't clear that I only leave it open while washing. I did wonder if there was a problem with leaving it open while washing clothes.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I don't believe there is a problem in leaving open when washing, from all reports seen here on MOC, at least.

Just open before and close after doing that laundry.

Old 06-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #11
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
When I was working on the road I locked the trailer and went to work. Later Betty could not get out until several neighbors helped her. That was a real safety problem.

Cannot be confident that I fixed the problem but it appears ok now.

The Aluminum frame will flex so sometimes the door might stick to door frame depending on the leveling conditions and the strain on the aluminum frame. As you connect and disconnect observe the door clearance and you may see what I am telling you.

What I did is simply filed a few tenths of the door at the sticking point. No problems since.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If our washer drained into the black tank I would open the valve for the duration of the washing and then close it when done, as you are suggesting. I can't see it would hurt anything. The biggest problem for me would be to remember to open it before washing and then to close it when done. Ours drains to the shower gray tank and we've once overflowed the shower and once caught it before it overflowed when I forgot to open the gray tank dump valve.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:10 AM   #13
kbabb72
Established Member

M.O.C. #5794
Send a message via AIM to kbabb72 Send a message via MSN to kbabb72
We had key problem when picking up at the dealership....which made me suspicious,so noticed that the unit they prepped was NOT the one we had made the deal on. ALl paperwork was wrong,the unit they prepped did not have central vac or AC prep for second AC. Soooo....we made them change the numbers and give us the one they prepped for the lesser price. Was not a real happy day,but all ended well.
kbabb72 is offline   Reply With Quote