Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
12 Volt Ceiling Lights in two slide outs

Hello All,

New to the forum for a few weeks now and really find it interesting. New to RV'ing and enjoying it.

I have a 2017 3661RL and have an electrical issue that I could use an assist with. The overhead 12 volt lights went out in the dinette slide and also above the chairs in the slide opposite the entertainment center. Don't suppose the location matters much.

Looking for suggestions on where to start troubleshooting and how. Any pointers you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Gordo

GHallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
CFDFireman90
Established Member

M.O.C. #24965
Check fuses in converter, check bulbs. Those are the easy checks to start with.
CFDFireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Checked all fuses and bulbs. Thats the puzzling part. Thank you - B-Safe
Old 10-30-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
CFDFireman90
Established Member

M.O.C. #24965
Try this

Then next I would pull down the fixtures and check for power with a meter. If no power there I would go underneath and look for the wires, probably in wire loom. I would find the right color wires and check for power there. Work you way back to the converter. Somewhere the has to be a loose connection or splice.
CFDFireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Using a meter at the fixture and working backwards is a good idea. There should be a connection box under the slide where the flex line connects. That box tends to leak and cause problems.

Also use an ohm meter on the fuses to ensure they are ok. Sometimes the fuse is blown but the little red light doesn't illuminate.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:31 AM   #6
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Thank you sir. Will do. Appreciate the assist
Old 10-31-2019, 06:34 AM   #7
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Thank you for the reply. Now for meter school
Old 10-31-2019, 07:44 AM   #8
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHallof View Post
Thank you for the reply. Now for meter school
YouTube is your friend
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Using a meter at the fixture and working backwards is a good idea. There should be a connection box under the slide where the flex line connects. That box tends to leak and cause problems.

Also use an ohm meter on the fuses to ensure they are ok. Sometimes the fuse is blown but the little red light doesn't illuminate.
That's not always the case. Our 2011 unit has NO junction boxes under the slides. The dinette slide has a box covered with carpet inside. The entertainment and kitchen slides wires go directly to a receptacle in that slide.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Had a problem similar to yours while at the Fall Rally but it was the opposite side which had the kitchen, fireplace and entertainment center in it. Everything was working except for the ceiling lights in that slide. The service techs checked everything inside first and found nothing. They then went outside and checked to wiring harness and found that it had been cut and spliced and the specific wire leading to the ceiling lights had a wire connection splicing it and that splice was not solid. They removed it and added a correct connecting splice and "WALLA" the ceiling lights came on and have worked well since. Thanks Keystone service techs for your knowledge and hope this can help your problem on the opposite slide also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:46 PM   #11
Bulldog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22842
My four living room 12 volt lights didn’t work. I checked the switch and it was ok. I pulled the converter cover off and found that there was a couple of ground wire screws were loose. Tightened them up and they now work.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:49 PM   #12
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
Our off-door slide has a couch and a dinette. The 12V lights above the couch and dinette stopped working last year. Fuses were OK and connections good in the breaker box. Tester showed no power at the bulbs. Late last year I was replacing some sheetmetal screws where the sidewall connects to the frame near the left rear of that slide (underneath the RV). I had to push the sidewall out just a little while drilling a hole. There is a sidewall brace on the wall where it meets the slide. The wire loom underneath that slide had a wire harness covered with corrugated plastic protectant hose which ran thru the sidewall brace. As I pushed the sidewall out I could see that the corrugated protectant terminated once the wire got into the sidewall and that is where they had a set of crimped connections. The wire was broken behind one of the connections. This was down beside the frame.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
My four living room 12 volt lights didn’t work. I checked the switch and it was ok. I pulled the converter cover off and found that there was a couple of ground wire screws were loose. Tightened them up and they now work.
It is a good idea to open up the distribution panels for both the 120 vac and the 12 vdc power (after disconnecting the power cord from park pedestal) and tightening all screw connections on the circuit breakers, fuses, neutral buss bars, and ground buss bars. Loose wire connections are a common issue.

The LED blown fuse indicators will not illuminate unless that circuit is connected to a load to supply a ground source for the LED. For example, if a fuse for a light is blown and the light bulb is good, the LED will illuminate due to a very small amount of current draining thru the light bulb filament to ground. But if the bulb is burned out, there is no path to ground for the LED and it will not illuminate even though the fuse is blown. Electricity requires a completed path to ground.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #14
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
In the newer models, they use butt splices. could have a bad connection in one
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #15
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
In the newer models, they use butt splices. could have a bad connection in one
In our 2011 unit the wires are connected with what I would call crimp on wire nuts.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #16
JanCouch
Established Member

M.O.C. #24632
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHallof View Post
Hello All,

New to the forum for a few weeks now and really find it interesting. New to RV'ing and enjoying it.

I have a 2017 3661RL and have an electrical issue that I could use an assist with. The overhead 12 volt lights went out in the dinette slide and also above the chairs in the slide opposite the entertainment center. Don't suppose the location matters much.

Looking for suggestions on where to start troubleshooting and how. Any pointers you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Gordo
Us too.

We bought our 5th wheel used. We have a few issues but expected that with a 10 yo trailer.

That said, our lights over the sofa seating don’t work either.

I will be researching issues:

1210 Norcold double refrigerator
Lights over sofa
Mirror closet door rollers
Black water cleaning spray
Carpet replacement.
JanCouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, lights