Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Goose Neck Hitches, Good or Bad

I have a friend who bought a 2008 Dodge used with a Goose Neck hitch. I told him most people don't use them and if used on a new 5th wheel can void your warranty. What are the advantages or disadvantages of one. He likes the idea of a smooth bed in his truck.I figured this is a good place for ideas on this subject with all the experience of the members.

bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
This topic has been discussed several time. do a search on "goose neck". The main problem is the extra bending torque placed on the front of the trailer due to the long lever arm of the goose neck hitch. These extra strains can be 3 or 3 and 1/2 times the strain of a regular hitch pin. The upside is a great reduction in "chucking" as the goose neck hitch point is so much closer to the rear axle compared to a conventional fifth wheel

BTW. my hitch comes completely out leaving no in bed rails.

Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Dave, are you saying your have a regular fifth wheel hitch that when you remove the hitch it leaves you with a flush bed? Mine leaves the two parallel rails. Can you provide the information?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Mine comes out and leaves a smooth bed. Mine is a B&W 5th wheel companion, and when you pull the 5th wheel hitch out you can drop in a goose neck if desired.
I had the rail system and always had to lay 2x4's in the bed when using the slide in camper, Flat bed is the only way to go for me
Allen
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...FRMUagodr3kq-g
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
I have the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch also...really like it. If I remember right, it is rated a 18,000 lbs. You can take all of the hitch out of the truck and have a clean bed and if you need to you can use the Gooseneck hitch for a horse/cattle trailer also. John Daniels
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
One more shout for the B&W turnover ball hitch with the Companion 5th wheel hitch. If his hitch is a B&W, all he needs to get is the B&W Companion part.

The kind of adaptor that you bolt to the pin box to turn it into a gooseneck hitch puts way too much stress on the 5er frame, bad idea!
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Most RV manufactors wil void the warranty if your using the Gooseneck adapter. As stated it puts a lot of stress on you 5th wheel frame. As for the B&W turnover ball with the Companion 5th wheel hitch. I had one in my last Chevy 3500HD, its a very well made hitch, and hooks and unhooks so easy a caveman could do it. Its the best static hitch I have ever owned, I have owned Reese, Valley Huskey, they just aren't in the same league as the B&W. I would still have the B&W if I could have gotten one with more 5th wheel hitch capacity it only goes to 18,000. So I went back to the Trailer Saver air ride hitch which has 32,000 capacity. One person can remove the B&W in about 10 minutes and your Truck bed will be clean. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
I also have the companion hitch, and really like it. Check tweetys.com for good pricing and service.
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Art,
We have a Reese signature 18k. The rails are under the bed. There are four cam-lock fasteners the go thru the bed to lock the hitch in place. When the hitch is removed, there is nothing in the bed except 4 holes with little rubber plugs. They also have 16k and 20k models.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
With out any hesitation, I recommend the B&W Turnover Ball with the Companion Hitch. It gives great flexibility in what kind of trailer you haul, goose neck or fifth wheel and, as stated the Companion Hitch for the fifth wheel is a great hitch.

The capability of a one person removal is also good. It comes apart in two pieces. When I stop somewhere for an extended stay, I remove the hitch for a clean bed. Taking that 100+ pounds out doesn't hurt the mileage either.

The ease of hookup was a major improvement over the Husky I had on the last truck. The secure jaws and the locking handle and pin work better also. The handle is compact and does not stick up or out.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We run 2 09 F350 Fords with the B & W companion hitches and switch the 5th wheel hitch from truck to truck as needed ( each hitch is standard as a goose ball that flips to hide). Our big goose neck trailer that we use often is a double dually with a 30 foot bed and 5 feet of beaver tails. We love the hitch system; when the 5th wheel is out the bed it is smooth and easy to sweep clean and wash. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
WOW, I feel like I hijacked this topic with my question about the B&W hitch. Forget the ball, I couldn't use that because I don't have a horse or utility trailer and am aware that 5ers with balls are not recommended. But this hitch with only a 4 inch hole is the bed is something I wish I had. I have a 16K Valley right now and the rails are an absolute pain! This 18K 5er hitch certainly exceeds what I need, and NOT having rails is wunnerful. Plus a ball can be addd for all the other types of bed trailers.

I'll have to look up the Reese hitch that Dave & Victoria describe, too. It sounds like the same thing but just a competitor.

Do any of you have a spray on bed liner or liner of any kind that these work with?

Unfortunately I can only drool since I don't feel inclined to spend hundreds for something I have learned to live with.

Oh my, so sorry I am continuing the hijack, but in all fairness to bigred715, I've heard ball hitches are not good for conventional fifth wheel trailers even though there are bolt on conversion adapters. The biggest advantage to a ball in the bed is keeping the bed usable when towing and especially when not towing. The disadvantage is not all trailers do well with a ball in the bed and even though fifth wheel hitch or ball trailers tend to have better capacity, they do not improve your vehicle's tow rating. I hope this helps.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 AM   #13
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Another vote for the B&W setup! 2+yrs. and the easiest of life!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:30 AM   #14
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I have the same hitch as Dave & Victoria. (18k) I can remove it myself if I take off the hitch plate and then the rest of the hitch. On my truck it transfers about 21% of pin weight onto the front axles making for a more level stance and better control. (Yes I got the instructions for getting my weights done here on the MOC :-). I have a slide in bed liner that had to be cut for the puck holes. The hitch has very little play if any. The slider rails take up space and so far I haven't had to use the slider feature. Like, I presume many other "newbies", I am avoiding CG sites that require any advanced backing skills. I looked at the B&W hitch but I didn't need the goose neck option and it cost more than the Reese. It looked very tempting as it appears to be solidly built.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:13 AM   #15
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I have built and installed a few gooseneck adapters on 5th wheels we have had in our construction company. All but one were very light trailers and none were kept for more than a couple of years. They were also towed very little. I can't tell you how any of them are doing today.
When I bought the Montana I asked about a gooseneck adapter and was told it would void the frame warranty. I left my gooseneck ball in the truck and installed the 5th wheel hitch which I can easily remove and install by myself.

Welcome back MacDR50
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:12 AM   #16
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Art, there are many hitch companies that build 5th wheel hitches that bolt in under the box to the frame rails (similar to a large cross member), this then eliminates the two rails that are a pain every time you want a nice clean run on the bottom of your truck box for loading unloading applications. The installation of this hitches are not real simple as the box has to be unbolted and lifted a few inches for ease of installation.
Both of our B & W Companions have been mounted after the spray in liners and have caused no interference or problems. Ellis
Old 08-04-2009, 04:13 AM   #17
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
The B&W system also is so much safer as for as dropping the 5th wheel on the bed rails. If you place the safety pin in there is no way to drop the 5er. There is only one hole in the bed of the Truck and requires no plug. You also have the ability of towing a Gooseneck trailer. As for cost my complete system install by a professional installer in about 1.5 hours and if you have a GM Truck there is no holes to be drilled and it will fit like a glove, the cost was $1,100 and they also installed a in-bed plug. And if trade or sell it can be removed. No hitch unhooks as easy as the B&W. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:33 AM   #18
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Getting back on subject which was...
Goose Neck Hitches, Good or Bad
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigred715

I have a friend who bought a 2008 Dodge used with a Goose Neck hitch. I told him most people don't use them and if used on a new 5th wheel can void your warranty. What are the advantages or disadvantages of one. He likes the idea of a smooth bed in his truck.I figured this is a good place for ideas on this subject with all the experience of the members.
I have heard that the gooseneck will void the Monty's frame warranty however I have never heard that from Lippert the frame manufacturer. I'm not saying the warranty issue isn't true but I really like my info from the horse's mouth.

As to the fifth wheel design. It is definitely stronger. The trailer loads are distributed thru the hitch to at least 4 load points on the frame and putting a lot less load and stress on just one location.

The gooseneck on the other hand has all loads going thru a ball and socket connection directly to one spot on the frame. The ball sees compression stress, bending stress, and stress from torque due to friction in the connection. That's a lot of stress on one ball.

As the 5th wheel hitch pivots from front to rear and side to side the Monty gets a much smoother ride as well as the TV driver and passengers. I won't even comment on the ride the 5ers cargo is getting.

AND Why do big rigs use 5th wheel setups?
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #19
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
It is interesting that the 5th wheel hitches are rated for that 15 - 18,000lbs while the goose neck hitches are rated higher at 30 - 34,000lbs off the same cross member for hitch ratings??? Maybe because the pull, torrsion,torque and stress points on the hitch of the goose are lower and closer to the truck frame than the 5th wheel hitch. Now the hitch on the trailer itself may have different moments of stress with different ratings. Also a Goose needs 2 anchored chains in case of breakaway, where as a fifth wheel hitch does not. Good discussion. Ellis
Old 08-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #20
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Look at the structure on a gooseneck trailer. All that steel is there for a reason, to handle the stress. I don't believe that fifth wheels are built that stout, they don't need to be. Physics tells you that the longer the neck, the more strain will be exerted on it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote