Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
SCREW FLAT!!! GRRRRR!!

After adjusting the breaks I checked all the tires and the air was good on all four. The next day we left headed south. 6 miles later a car honks at me and says "you have a low tire". We happen to be in the middle of 5 miles of construction with no place to pull off. we made it 9 miles to the first exit and it just happened to have a truck stop. I pulled in and went back to check the tires and sure enough the left rear was pretty low. As I walked on it I saw the head of a Philips Head screw sitting flush with the center of the tread. I hooked up the scuba bottle I keep for just such a situation and got the impact wrench and spare tire out. Jacked, removed and replaced tire in about 15 minutes and got back on the road. I had the tire fixed yesterday in Forsyth Georgia for 15.00. That included a patch with plug and wheel balancing. Not a bad price, I would have posted this sooner but they decided to play with the servers again...

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Do I hear a tire pressure monitoring system being added to the Christmas list?
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Actually working on new rims and tires. Then maybe for birthday in March for the TMS...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Actually working on new rims and tires. Then maybe for birthday in March for the TMS...
Why new rims? I am thinking of that as well.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dave,
Something to consider. I'm not sure how low your tire was, but running a tire with low air will cause a tremendous heat build up, and also it can be detrimental to the sidewall. If the Spare was an original you may want to consider using it and put the damaged one as a spare.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote