Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #41
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Well in that case ,lets discuss the best truck. Is there a reason someone can come up with that the Cummins is not the best motor out there, forget the truck, the best motor.
The engine is only one part of the truck. I have had one dodge (97 diesel). Cummings are great engines. But Everything else on them seam to self destruct. Rebuilt the trans 2 x, That was enough for me. I have had 4 Duramax's since.

beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:25 PM   #42
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
The engine is only one part of the truck. I have had one dodge (97 diesel). Cummings are great engines. But Everything else on them seam to self destruct. Rebuilt the trans 2 x, That was enough for me. I have had 4 Duramax's since.
Historically I have to agree. I went from a Ford to a RAM and had to consider these things before buying. The newer RAMs aren't your grandpa's Dodge. They've made a big difference in their build quality from what I've seen. Time will tell but starting in 2010 they just seem to be tighter. The newer trannys are also much better. I bought one so I'm banking on it.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #43
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post

This is 2019, not 1997. Yes the dodge trucks were notorious for bad transmissions, those days are gone . Remember the GM diesels, we could go on all day what use to be . Duramax is a great motor ,and proven ,just like the Cummins.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #44
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
[QUOTE=Dave W;1166316]
Quote:
Well in that case ,lets discuss the best truck. Is there a reason someone can come up with that the Cummins is not the best motor out there, forget the truck, the best motor. [/QUOTE

Why? What makes it the best engine?

I asked the question, its your turn to tell me WHY it isn't . Is there a reason why we cannot say its the best
Old 11-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #45
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
The Cummings is a great engine. They just started using compacted graphite iron blocks in their 1000 pound feet of torque engines just like Ford has always used in their 6.7 engines.
Lynwood

They are a great engine, so now does it mean they are even better . I drank the blue koolaid with the 7.3, great truck, just not enough power for the bigger fifth wheels .

The 6.7 Powerstroke were never as dependable as the Cummins. The CP4 HPFP in the 6.7 was ,and still can be their achilles heel. It troubles me know that the Cummins went to the same HPFP. Time will tell .
Old 11-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #46
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
This is 2019, not 1997. Yes the dodge trucks were notorious for bad transmissions, those days are gone . Remember the GM diesels, we could go on all day what use to be . Duramax is a great motor ,and proven ,just like the Cummins.
[QUOTE=PSFORD99;1166355]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post

I asked the question, its your turn to tell me WHY it isn't . Is there a reason why we cannot say its the best

Way too subjective. You're right, it isn't 1997. The big 3 have all stepped up their game to the point where it's a difficult contest. The best truck is the one that gets you there consistently and safely and has the features you prefer (and can afford).

It's like the old question, "Which is the best camera". And the answer is, "the one you have with you".

For 13 years I had a 2000 Ford diesel and I really liked it. Before that I had a 1996 Chevy diesel and I hated it (we all know why)...but that was then. Now I have a RAM and really like it. It does what I need it to do. It's also the one I have and I'm not looking to spend more $$$ to get another one. So for me, today, my RAM is the best truck.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:34 PM   #47
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
[QUOTE=jsb5717;1166357]
Quote:

Way too subjective. You're right, it isn't 1997. The big 3 have all stepped up their game to the point where it's a difficult contest. The best truck is the one that gets you there consistently and safely and has the features you prefer (and can afford).

It's like the old question, "Which is the best camera". And the answer is, "the one you have with you".

I have a RAM and really like it. It does what I need it to do. It's also the one I have and I'm not looking to spend more $$$ to get another one. So for me, today, my RAM is the best truck.
If you will go back ,and read my original post. I said the best motor , forget the truck . I should of left off the best truck .
Old 11-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #48
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
[QUOTE=PSFORD99;1166358]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post

If you will go back ,and read my original post. I said the best motor , forget the truck . I should of left off the best truck .
I still think it's the same answer. Unless someone can come up with actual stats of number of diesel units purchased in the past 7 years, and get an actual number of motor failures per brand and graph the results it's kind of moot. A lot of folks are also brand loyal for various reasons. Overall, difficult to quantify.

I can render an opinion as to the best motor, but unless it's backed by real stats it's just my opinion.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:55 PM   #49
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
They are a great engine, so now does it mean they are even better . I drank the blue koolaid with the 7.3, great truck, just not enough power for the bigger fifth wheels .

The 6.7 Powerstroke were never as dependable as the Cummins. The CP4 HPFP in the 6.7 was ,and still can be their achilles heel. It troubles me know that the Cummins went to the same HPFP. Time will tell .

Do a Google search for compacted graphite iron and you will see why it is a better material to make an engine block. To sum up what you will find, it’s much stronger and wear resistance than cast iron. It makes a quieter and has less vibrations than cast iron. It’s just better.

So don’t everybody use it? Simple, it’s much much harder to Machine. Just in the last few years has the tooling and machines been developed to machine it on a production basis. I have a friend who sells machine tools to machine engines. He told me about GGI 30 years ago. At that time a cutter would only bore one cylinder and then it had to be replaced. Since then new grades of carbide and more important new carbide coatings have been developed so it can be machined. Even then speeds and feeds are much slower than cast iron.

As the automotive company’s new engines more will go to CGI. Already the Cummings 6.7 the 3L Diesel Fords 6.7 and 2.7 Ecoboost, tractor trailer engines and others are GGI.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #50
E12Cheng
Established Member

M.O.C. #25338
I’m going full time Jan 5th. With the amount of travel we plan, Key West to Alaska I needEd a hauler truck. I had Utility Bodywerks build my truck and I could not be happier. I have 70 sqft of dry Lockable storage for my tools parts and equipment. When we added the air suspension I had a air chuck installed. I get 125 lbs of air for the tires and tools. This truck works for me as a future full timer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C14E1FCE-65F9-4469-B488-B9B7E0AA0DEA.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	537.5 KB
ID:	5221  
E12Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:34 AM   #51
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
must be special

I never really understood the pissing match between the brands of truck. The best truck is the one YOU like and to bad mouth someones else`s decision is just plain rude IMO. The best selling truck year after year after year should be an indication of the best truck to own, the one with a farm tractor engine in it, the least sold and where the body starts to rust out before the 5th oil change should not. All this really doesn`t mean anything and your just lying to your self about only the best of everything in my world. And to think the drum beaters on that special brand will go out and buy another Montana and have it start falling apart before they can even get out of the dealers lot just like the last one and and the one before that and stand there with a fist full of tools and say "hell yes I`d buy another one, best camper on the market". Really, some times I wonder about the stupid things I say and do cause I`m guilty of the latter.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #52
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
I never really understood the pissing match between the brands of truck. The best truck is the one YOU like and to bad mouth someones else`s decision is just plain rude IMO. The best selling truck year after year after year should be an indication of the best truck to own, the one with a farm tractor engine in it, the least sold and where the body starts to rust out before the 5th oil change should not. All this really doesn`t mean anything and your just lying to your self about only the best of everything in my world. And to think the drum beaters on that special brand will go out and buy another Montana and have it start falling apart before they can even get out of the dealers lot just like the last one and and the one before that and stand there with a fist full of tools and say "hell yes I`d buy another one, best camper on the market". Really, some times I wonder about the stupid things I say and do cause I`m guilty of the latter.
This is about what I’ve been saying for years. You will never know what is the best truck for you until you have tried then all out and KNOW the specs and what each has to offer. What is best for you will not be best for someone else.

I learned not to be brand loyal from my machine shop business. Be brand loyal in the machine shop business and the next thing you will be is bankrupt.
Lynwood
Old 12-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #53
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
I've been pretty much a Chevy die-hard. I had a Dodge, generation 2, and tractor motor was great, the rest of it not. Then the D-max came out, and Chevy did a great job out of the gate. The LB7's had some injector issues, which they stood behind. It was do or die for Chevy with diesel engines. They had some real stinkers before the D-max.

Just never have really been a Ford fan, for no particular reason, but Ford didn't do themselves any favors either, with the 6.0. Someone didn't think that thing thru very well. You're not going to wick a 6.0L truck up to the point that you can beat you 6.6L competition, and expect it to have any reliability. Then came the 6.4. Marginally better, but still not enough displacement to compete. Now they have it figured out with the 6.7L

BUT, that has all but changed now. Still like the D-max, now with the 10 gear. But we're in line for a new truck, and I've been looking at all of them, including the new Ford. That Ford with a 10-speed, has got to be a pulling machine with 1050 ft-lbs of torque. When I told the wife the other day that we need to go and look at them, she thought I was kidding. No, I'm serious. The Ford definitely has more interior room as well, and I think it looks good.

I wish that Ram had a 10 gear. I'm guessing that they eventually get there as well, and with 1000 ft-lbs of torque there, that WOULD be the ultimate pulling monster.

All-in-all, it's a GREAT time to be a truck buyer, other than the money they want for these darn things. We have a lot of choices that aren't separated by many distinguishing factors, at least when it comes to power plants. Sometimes, you just have to swallow your pride and see what "fits"...

Of course, YMMV.
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #54
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post

Just never have really been a Ford fan, for no particular reason, but Ford didn't do themselves any favors either, with the 6.0. Someone didn't think that thing thru very well. You're not going to wick a 6.0L truck up to the point that you can beat you 6.6L competition, and expect it to have any reliability. Then came the 6.4. Marginally better, but still not enough displacement to compete. Now they have it figured out with the 6.7L

Of course, YMMV.
I’m sorry but I haft to disagree with that most anyway all except the last sentence. The 6.7 is a very fine engine like the Cummings and Dmax. My 6.4 had over 600 HP and 1100 TK and in 20 minutes I can load up a tune with 750 HP. The tow haul tune I run is a very reliable tune and gets rid of everything that can cause problems.
Lynwood
Old 12-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #55
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
I’m sorry but I haft to disagree with that most anyway all except the last sentence. The 6.7 is a very fine engine like the Cummings and Dmax. My 6.4 had over 600 HP and 1100 TK and in 20 minutes I can load up a tune with 750 HP. The tow haul tune I run is a very reliable tune and gets rid of everything that can cause problems.
Lynwood
The 6.4 might have been better, but the 6.0 was JUNK, no two ways about it. But, you had to tune it to get it to that point. I want reliable, big numbers without turning. Want bone stock.

Again, 6.0L was never reliably going to make the power that the DMax made.

Like I said, I like the 6.7L Ford's, and the 10 gear is a winner...
Old 12-17-2019, 07:18 PM   #56
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
The 6.4 might have been better, but the 6.0 was JUNK, no two ways about it. But, you had to tune it to get it to that point. I want reliable, big numbers without turning. Want bone stock.

Again, 6.0L was never reliably going to make the power that the DMax made.

Like I said, I like the 6.7L Ford's, and the 10 gear is a winner...

This reminds me of a shooting match. Jim Carmichael of Outdoor Life was shooting. A friend, Dan told Jim he didn’t like Outdoor Life. Jim smiled and ask if he liked an article last month, well what about another article and what about a third article. Of course Dan hadn’t read any of them and Jim just smiled.
So how many 6.0s have you owned?
Lynwood
Old 12-17-2019, 08:07 PM   #57
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
So how many 6.0s have you owned?
Lynwood
Touche.

None, BUT, there is no denying that there were a high number of them that had failures.

I have a buddy that just got rid of a van with a 6.0. owned it for about two years, and put as much into as he did when he bought it. All engine work.

At the end of the day, there is no replacement for displacement. Don't you think that's one of the reasons that Ram moved to a 6.7 as well? Sure, you can make a lot of power with less cubic inches, but unless you are willing to put a lot of beef in the motor which equals money, it is just never going to be reliable.

I know this, I'll never in one.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #58
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
The biggest physical difference between a Ford 6.0 and 6.4 besides 24cid are the number of head bolts/cylinder. The 6.0 has 4 while the 6.4 has 5. Stronger +/-$500(depending on where purchased) ARP 250-4202 Stud Kit kinda fixes that - heck, I have several hundred bucks worth of ARP fasteners in the built 5.0 in my '31 Ford, keeping it together When I was in the market for a new truck in '06, opted for the V10 gasser instead, just because of the various problems from the head bolts to EGRs and several things in between. I have to say that the 6.7 does it better, no matter what you are using it for. I suspect the GMs and FCAs will do it just as well.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:59 AM   #59
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
My apologies...

Quote:

All-in-all, it's a GREAT time to be a truck buyer, other than the money they want for these darn things. We have a lot of choices that aren't separated by many distinguishing factors, at least when it comes to power plants. Sometimes, you just have to swallow your pride and see what "fits"...

My apologies to everyone on this thread. I should have made my first post in this thread the above paragraph, and left it at that.

There are many threads on this site about trucks, and I have another thread going centered around towing specifically. Things have actually been civil over there, and I should have reciprocated the same courtesy over here.

My comments about the 6.0/6.4 Ford added nothing to this conversation, so my apologies for that. I'll bow out now, or at least keep the posts to something more constructive...
Old 12-18-2019, 07:01 AM   #60
MxBound
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23272
What's the opinion of the old 7.3l Ford diesel?
I have a 2002 with a full Banks towing upgrade.
Pulls my 374fl like a dream. Going down hill is nice also with the Banks brake.
I have just over 150k on it.
Wonder if a 10 speed transmission could be fitted ?
MxBound is offline   Reply With Quote