Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
Bad Slides

This should come as no surprise to anyone who owns a Keystone product. I have a 2105 fifth wheel 353RL which I just purchased used. I am the third owner. When I pretested the unit the slide motors would go out and stop, go out and stop, several times before they would extend all the way. The previous owner said "they have always been that way I just assumed it was normal". I didn't believe him and called the shop that just worked on it for another issue (AC). They said just probably needed new breakers up front near the battery so I bought it. That didn't work and I took it to two different RV shops and both said they couldn't fix it. The second one said it was a manufacturer defect so I finally took it to a Keystone dealer. He confirmed that the Rub stips that the slides slide upon were not high enough and the slide was tearing up the floor. When asked he said that it definitely came that way from the factory. estimated cost to repair $5000+. This is my second fifth wheel but from what I have seen it will be my last. Camping is not fun enough to put up with the trash that the factories are producing and the cost to up keep will buy a lot of nights in a very nice hotel. So my question is this; even though it's out of warranty, considering it was built this way, has anyone had success going back to Keystone and getting help from the factory?

tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Not likely Keystone will help with a 4+ yr old rig. But worth a try. Assuming 2105 should have been 2015.

Slides starting and stopping like that has been a common problem solved by replacing the 50 amp auto reset breaker with an 80 amp auto reset circuit breaker (assuming you are speaking of hydraulic slides). But I don’t remember anyone ever saying their rub strips were not high enough.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
Pathfinder75
Established Member

M.O.C. #19500
tom woodward
YES. My Kitchen slide also did this. Now I,m original owner and it is a 2017 that I believe only had a two year structure warranty later after this build date they changed to a three year structure. I might expect 3rd owner and two years older they may not feel they owe as much but you dont know if you don't ask for help NICELY.
Mine was bought Feb. 2017 took to dealer April 2018 with broken wall studs to floor next to slide refrigerator end. (dealer said it needed welding and would not do it) I made contact via email with April Goodman an Owner Relations Advisor with Keystone RV
1-866-425-4369
1-866-273-1451 (Fax)
ownerrelations@keystonerv.com

April latter arranged repair with Darrell Turner the Service Center Team Lead with Keystone RV Company Goshen, IN turnd@keystonerv.com

I understand that several technicians from this shop were at the MOC RALLY when I was picking up my trailer following repairs. They were doing free repairs at the Rally.

I was offer factory repair no charge but transport was on me.

So long story shortened a April to September project between Dealer and Factory I got my 2017 Montana 353RL back First of October. Slide removed so wall was repaired/welded also total cable system and frame and rub strip replaced. Cable frame new stronger metal type versus the original that had more plastic structure also larger rub strip installed. (they said this rub strip was thicker.)
This is how it was explained to me.

Now nothing was done to the curb side slide so I expect I may have issues in future BUT it is much lighter, hoping not or I will try roller repair that I will link below.

Another thread you might read - http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=28717

Another Idea I saw and I may consider if issues show up again. ON YOU TUBE is to install rollers. Roller found at RV Upgrades see Lippert 276288 J-36 Slide-Out Roller Assembly SEE YOU TUBE

Good luck. Ask if you have any questions I may know answer

2017 Montana HC 353RL - Sailun S637's, Progressive EMS-HW50C
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC 6.7L SRW LB, B&W Companion OEM puck mt.
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #4
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
Bal Accuslided. I don’t think increasing the CB amperage is anything but a bandaid that will speed up the distruction of the motor. My slides are rubbing on the floor and starting to destroy them
tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:12 AM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
2 owners in 4 years. They were dumping what they thought was a lemon. Follow the above advice and remember to BE NICE. It may also pay to go to the MOC Fall Rally.

Keystone gets a bad rap. Some of it may be earned. In my experience they take good care of you when issues arise. The key is to be nice. I also think they take good care MOC members.. With a repair like this go to the Rally. Arrive on a Monday. Ask when you should hear a decision and give it a day and follow through if you do not hear anything. You may also need to stay an extra day to go to the service center. So be flexible.

They are soooo busy mine almost fell through the cracks. Once back on track things went smoothly.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote