Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
Cyride
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22980
RV extended service contracts

After over two years of looking for our 5th wheel we have purchased a new Montana High Country 381th which we will pick up this Friday. I have strongly considered purchasing an extended service plan (some would call it an extended warranty). I have looked at 3 options and would be interested in getting information on some of these plans.

The dealer we purchased the RV from provides a lifetime warranty from a group called Warranty Forever. As long as the RV is inspected by a licensed shop annually it covers repairs or replacement of many items on the RV. The dealer tells me up front that it doesn’t cover everything but they offer an expanded protection for a cost of $3,261 for 5 years. I have requested information about the coverage.

I have also received a quote from Good Sam ESP with a guaranteed rate for up to 6 years.

The plan I am really considering is Wholesale Warranties Viking Protection EXE 7 year plan. Items not covered are Awning Material, frame, structural damage, adjustments, bedding, bumpers, carpet, satellite and telephone wiring, countertops, flooring, doors, and furniture. Other items not covered are normal insurance covered items, corrosion, deterioration, and rust.

I know some don’t believe in protection plans and I am not one to always buy them. I have purchased plans such as Ford ESP for my truck and one for my last Honda Goldwing. I will say I almost didn’t purchase it for the Goldwing as those bikes are know for running without problems. I did have a claim to replace a switch on the Goldwing. It more than paid for the cost of the plan, so that one worked out. Haven’t had to use it on the truck as it is only a year old and covered by the MFG original warranty. The truck and RV can be fairly complex and after reading about some of the problems people have experienced with RV’s the piece of mind might be worth it.

So if you have had any experience with the mentioned plans please let me know. If there are any other plans to consider I would appreciate that information too.

Thanks,

Jon

Old 11-05-2019, 07:19 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do believe in Extended service plans particularly on a RV. We have had them on both our Montana's and we have the ford ESP on the F-350. We use Cornerstone ultimate .I would suggest you take a look at It. It is of course important to completely understand the terms of any Service plan you purchase. We have used the ESP on both Montana's with no problems at all.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #3
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
We also have extended warranty on the Montana. Have already had enough problems out of factory warranty to pay for it. As stated above know the company and what is in the coverage. Not all insurance is created equal and that is what extended warranties are. The first two plans you mention, I personally would pass on. Third I know nothing about. You might want to give US Warranties a look. We have had two Montana's covered by them. Just had a microwave/convection go out and purchased a new Samsung from Lowes. Since I installed myself, cost to me was $20. $20 was the haul off fee and they would not cover that. I did complain, but not to loud as a new microwave for $20 buck is alright with me.
Your mileage may vary.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I have Good Sam on my rig. Covered the rear AC $1400.00 less my deductible of $200. They have covered parts of the axel replacement hangers and the like (not the axel).
Have ESP on the Ford.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
We have the Warranty Forever. So far it has gone in once. Inspection was $179. they check wheels and brakes, among other things. Given that it is "free" if you get the inspections done it is hard to pass up. One can still repack their own bearings.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
The extended service plan is a personal decision based on your comfort with risk. I would advise to not buy one until you get within a couple months of your basic warranty expiring. At that point you will have a better feel for the problems you have had. No need for them to give you coverage while you are covered by warranty nor to hold your money.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
I looked into a number of extended warranties toward the end of our basic warranty, but each time I started to really dig into things and ask more specific questions, I didn't get the vote of confidence I needed to proceed and eventually decided against. As others have said, you have to know your comfort level. These are not insurance companies, rather they are 3rd party brokers or agents who work on high commissions to sell a service and, indeed; many extended warranties are sold directly at dealerships who also work on nice commissions and, your fear. They have a place in helping cover unexpected expenses and work well for many RV owners, I just felt that they were over priced and too limited.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #8
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I have bought the last 5 fifths from the same dealer. The new closer did not know me. He tried the warranty on me, when that did not work he tried my wife. I have never purchased one on any vehicle or RV. So few problems I'm many thousands ahead. No matter what could go wrong I'm still thousands ahead. I do have the reserves to cover any problem that may arise. The worst is after one pays thousands for a plan find out their problem is 'not covered'. On top of the thousands for the plan many put it in the finance and pay interest on it for many years. Everyone has a different tolerance, do what your gut tells you to.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Lots of opinions. Remember you have warranties on all of your products along with the actual trailer. Many are under a two year or longer warranty.

For me, I'd just put the cost of the extended warranty into a bank account.

congrads on the new trailer.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #10
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
Our Montana is 10 years old. When we bought it new we also bought a 7 year plan which they called bumper-to-bumper. It had a $100 deductable. After 7 years, we never collected a dime. After the warranty period, if we had an issue, the dealer didn't want to deal with the warranty company and would offer us a significant discount to fix the issue. We didn't have many issues. If I was to buy another, I would only warranty the big structural issues - slides and their mechanisms, frame, hydraulic and electircal. Stuff that wears out - brakes, appliances, fixtures, and stuff that I can fix don't need warrantied. If you are crafty and don't mind turning a wrench or a screwdriver, don't waste the money to warranty everything. All of the warranty repairs require you to take your RV to the dealer and it will sit there until they get it fixed. If I can fix it while it sits in storage or even while I am using it at an RV Park, I would prefer to do that, even if I have to pay for the part, rather than take it to the Dealer.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #11
Mike639
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19743
The Warranty Forever is "free" to you but is in place to pull you in for the inspections/services. Its designed to bring you back in year after year for service retention.
Mike639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use cornerstone ESP ultimate plan. 2595 for 48 Months that is 54.06 per month. we used it for the kitchen side malfunction 800+ and before that the inner bearing rear axle of the Montana 700+.I recall the gray tank replacement 900+ and a hot water tank failure .I forget the cost of that.

We are not handy on repairs and do not carry around the tools required to make those repairs.

The Montana has never sat at a dealer for weeks.

For us it is worth 54.06 per month to make a couple of phone calls if broken down and let cornerstone and keystone deal with it while we watch TV or have lunch.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I never buy a warranty. I just keep cash on hand to cover issues (the cash that would have went to the insurance company IE: warranty company). And I have yet to see a service only company that LIKES dealing with a warranty company. And good luck getting mobile service that will deal with it. For sure I don't want to have to take my rig to a shop and let it sit there for weeks while they haggle with the warranty company that will be fighting to keep the repair costs to a minimum. I would strongly prefer to tell a service only shop to FIX IT RIGHT not cheap!!! For certain I want to take my rig to who I chose not to who is authorized by some warranty!!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:57 AM   #14
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
I have had this question on extended warranties.

When they say 48 months does that include the first year too? Just having a new trailer Montana should be covering everything. And, I assume that the extended warranty wants Montana--during the first year to cover it too?
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
I have had this question on extended warranties.

When they say 48 months does that include the first year too? Just having a new trailer Montana should be covering everything. And, I assume that the extended warranty wants Montana--during the first year to cover it too?
Why buy the extended service plan when then RV is covered by the manufacturers warranty for the first year. Yes the extended service plan company will take your money but will not pay a claim if it is still covered by the manufacturers warranty. We purchased ours when the manufacturers warranty was down to the last month.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I never buy a warranty. I just keep cash on hand to cover issues (the cash that would have went to the insurance company IE: warranty company). And I have yet to see a service only company that LIKES dealing with a warranty company. And good luck getting mobile service that will deal with it. For sure I don't want to have to take my rig to a shop and let it sit there for weeks while they haggle with the warranty company that will be fighting to keep the repair costs to a minimum. I would strongly prefer to tell a service only shop to FIX IT RIGHT not cheap!!! For certain I want to take my rig to who I chose not to who is authorized by some warranty!!!
That is not a completely accurate statement. We have not had a mobile service that did not take the extended service plan. It would be a good idea to ask the mobile service provider if they honor the ESP before you use them. It is also a good idea to ask the dealer or service only company if they accept the warranty company. It is also a good idea to read and understand the Extended service plan contract so as to understand what they cover. We have never had a service plan tell us what dealer or
service company we had to use.

There are dealers that choose not to use any extended warranty or extended service contract company. One should determine if they do or do not before using them .

It is important to completely understand the terms of any service contract or extended warranty company. Example most if not all will only pay to repair to OEM conditions if you chose repair in excess of OEM it is on you as we did with our recent slide failure. The added reinforcement to the slide portion that was in excess of the OEM repair was on us and we knew that.

It is of course a individual choice service contract or not.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:55 PM   #17
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We do believe in Extended service plans particularly on a RV. We have had them on both our Montana's and we have the ford ESP on the F-350. We use Cornerstone ultimate .I would suggest you take a look at It. It is of course important to completely understand the terms of any Service plan you purchase. We have used the ESP on both Montana's with no problems at all.
Can u give me the contact number for conorstonr can't seam to find it
Billyj571 is offline   Reply With Quote