Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2019, 07:25 AM   #1
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
3741FK pantry door won't stay closed...

In 2020, the updated layout of the FK models now has a pantry over the buffet / island. We really like that feature, because we can put food in there without bending over to get it.

This last weekend was our first trip out. We had to stop about 5 minutes from home, and checked inside, and the pantry cabinet was open and fully extended. We unloaded the whole thing into a tub, because the cabinet "feels" like it locks very tightly when it's empty. But, when it's loaded, you can definitely feel that there is very little locking force there.but that was a short term fix.

Have others had issues with this cabinet, or cabinets like it, that won't stay closed while traveling? We are taking it back to the dealer to have several other things fixed, but I don't see how they will fix this. I'm assuming that they will tell us that there is nothing wrong with it, because it feels locked when it's empty. Maybe we should take it back to them fully loaded (or load it full when we get there), so that they can see what we are talking about???

In other threads, I noticed that people were using velcro strips to hold drawers in. This method won't work with this setup, because there is nothing close to it to velcro it closed with...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	122
Size:	388.3 KB
ID:	4890  

CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
How about some magnetic latches (as many as necessary).
It will make it much harder to open soooo,
Mount the catch plate with one screw so when you are camped, you can pivot it out of the way of the magnet, the door will open easily.
Before traveling, rotate the catch plate so it engages the magnet. This will help keep it closed.
Just make sure you add that to your departure checklist.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #3
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
How about some magnetic latches (as many as necessary).
It will make it much harder to open soooo,
Mount the catch plate with one screw so when you are camped, you can pivot it out of the way of the magnet, the door will open easily.
Before traveling, rotate the catch plate so it engages the magnet. This will help keep it closed.
Just make sure you add that to your departure checklist.
I had thought about magnets as well, but I'm not for sure how well that will work. When this cabinet is loaded, it rolls in and out pretty easily, but the catches don't do anything. It's like the catches get deformed, and don't offer any resistance to opening at all.

I feel like it would take a LOT of magnet power to hold it closed, but I just have no sense for how much magnet power that is.

It is a thought though...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote