Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
awheeler
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 419
M.O.C. #19482
I10E Travel between Beaumont, Texas & I75N in Florida

Greetings All,


We will be leaving out of Texas on Thursday Oct 24 heading to South Carolina. Has anyone "recently" traveled I10E bound? If so, how were the roads. We have traveled this route at least a hundred times, but we also know things change and road construction happens.

We would just like anyone's recent insight.

We will be stopping in LA, a week in Mobile, AL, a week in Defuniak Springs, FL, and then will head up I75N and spend a week at Grassy Lake near Valdosta, then on to Augusta, GA and Aiken South Carolina.

Thank you for your time.
Don & Ann
__________________
Don & Ann Wheeler:
2017 Montana 3791RD, 2017 RAM 3500 Diesel Dually, Aisin, 4.10, Sailuns, Disk Brakes, TST TPMS.
Don: USAF Ret., Fighter Pilot - Vietnam Vet '66-'67 & Ann: Ret., Texas A&M Ph.D.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Moultrie
Posts: 165
M.O.C. #20747
We traveled i10 this spring and didn't have any real delays due construction. Worst was right at the TX state line. As far as Defuniak Springs to Augusta, I would never get on I75. Get off I10 at or near Tallahassee and go thru Thomasville or Quitman. From Valdosta go highway 221 to Augusta. Quicker and much more relaxing drive.
__________________
Frank and Marilyn
2014 3402RL, Sailun S637/Disc Brakes
2015 F350 CC LWB SRW 6.7L PSD FX4
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
awheeler
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 419
M.O.C. #19482
Thank you for the suggestions. We appreciate your insight.
__________________
Don & Ann Wheeler:
2017 Montana 3791RD, 2017 RAM 3500 Diesel Dually, Aisin, 4.10, Sailuns, Disk Brakes, TST TPMS.
Don: USAF Ret., Fighter Pilot - Vietnam Vet '66-'67 & Ann: Ret., Texas A&M Ph.D.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
Last2Die
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Menifee
Posts: 539
M.O.C. #22986
we took the 10e from California to Florida this last summer. coming out of Texas isn't bad but once you hit Louisiana OMG the roads are complete CRAP !! so much construction delays. Once you pass all of that and New Orleans you are good to go ! I know before we hot Florida we stopped at the last Buckeys, for a cheaper fill up !
__________________
2018 3920FB
2015 Chevy 1500 Super Duper Duramax LB 8x8
2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
masterdrago
Montana Master
 
masterdrago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Willis
Posts: 567
M.O.C. #20587
Through La. you'll need to find the right speed that does not make you feel like you're on a galloping horse. It's a strange balance to counteract the bounce dance.
__________________
2018 Montana 3791RD
2017 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins Aisin, B&W RVK3600
masterdrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
Last2Die
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Menifee
Posts: 539
M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Through La. you'll need to find the right speed that does not make you feel like you're on a galloping horse. It's a strange balance to counteract the bounce dance.
Yeah on the long bridges, thats the only reason I put sumosprings on my truck, it can get bouncy !!
__________________
2018 3920FB
2015 Chevy 1500 Super Duper Duramax LB 8x8
2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:02 AM   #7
awheeler
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 419
M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Through La. you'll need to find the right speed that does not make you feel like you're on a galloping horse. It's a strange balance to counteract the bounce dance.

We are making two stops in LA (Westlake & Livingston), so only driving <3 hours each time. Will be taking it slow anyway. We came across there last fall, was hoping some of the construction had gone away. Looking at the LA highway website it looks like I12 has the most construction. Fortunately, we are not on it long.



Thanks
__________________
Don & Ann Wheeler:
2017 Montana 3791RD, 2017 RAM 3500 Diesel Dually, Aisin, 4.10, Sailuns, Disk Brakes, TST TPMS.
Don: USAF Ret., Fighter Pilot - Vietnam Vet '66-'67 & Ann: Ret., Texas A&M Ph.D.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #8
awheeler
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 419
M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAinaMontana View Post
We traveled i10 this spring and didn't have any real delays due construction. Worst was right at the TX state line. As far as Defuniak Springs to Augusta, I would never get on I75. Get off I10 at or near Tallahassee and go thru Thomasville or Quitman. From Valdosta go highway 221 to Augusta. Quicker and much more relaxing drive.

Just curious - why not I75? If I take 221 to Augusta are there places to stop - get fuel or just rest?
__________________
Don & Ann Wheeler:
2017 Montana 3791RD, 2017 RAM 3500 Diesel Dually, Aisin, 4.10, Sailuns, Disk Brakes, TST TPMS.
Don: USAF Ret., Fighter Pilot - Vietnam Vet '66-'67 & Ann: Ret., Texas A&M Ph.D.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
darmock667
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PORT SAINT LUCIE
Posts: 28
M.O.C. #22447
Louisiana = crap road and tailgaters

For up to minute traffic info use 511la.org Works great!

Work in NOLA and drive to my 5ver in Jacksonville Fl on a regular basis. NOLA to 75 not too bad. I usually stop at Fla exit 192 which has reasonable truck stops.

Have a great trip!

Tom
__________________
=========================
2019 - 3950 BR
Thinking on tow vehicle - getting closer!
=========================
darmock667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #10
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Moultrie
Posts: 165
M.O.C. #20747
Not trying to be smart but have you heard the old saying of going around your elbow to get to your thumb. By the time you go from Tallahassee to Lake City to get on I75 you could be in Tifton at
I75 via US319 thru Thomasville ( beautiful drive ) and Moultrie on a four lane highway. If you really want to use I75 then go from Tifton to Macon and then across to Augusta. Most of the two lane highways in central GA are good roads with very little traffic.
__________________
Frank and Marilyn
2014 3402RL, Sailun S637/Disc Brakes
2015 F350 CC LWB SRW 6.7L PSD FX4
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:13 PM   #11
hoffmann13.5
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ocala
Posts: 1
M.O.C. #14233
I-10 to Jax is fine. Look for the hurricane damage to the trees in the pan handle area. It's still fairly impressive a year later. They have just fixed some of the missing and damaged signage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
Greetings All,


We will be leaving out of Texas on Thursday Oct 24 heading to South Carolina. Has anyone "recently" traveled I10E bound? If so, how were the roads. We have traveled this route at least a hundred times, but we also know things change and road construction happens.

We would just like anyone's recent insight.

We will be stopping in LA, a week in Mobile, AL, a week in Defuniak Springs, FL, and then will head up I75N and spend a week at Grassy Lake near Valdosta, then on to Augusta, GA and Aiken South Carolina. damaged

Thank you for your time.
Don & Ann
hoffmann13.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:22 PM   #12
Todd727
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Holly Springs
Posts: 121
M.O.C. #19394
Just drove I75 from I20E interchange in ATL to Tampa. No issues whatsoever on I75 the entire way, but for you, I10 to ATL is perfect. No major construction issues. ATL seemed to finally have the area south of town fixed. No way would I avoid I75 for a longer slower route.
__________________
2017 3950BR
Todd727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:46 PM   #13
awheeler
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 419
M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAinaMontana View Post
Not trying to be smart but have you heard the old saying of going around your elbow to get to your thumb. By the time you go from Tallahassee to Lake City to get on I75 you could be in Tifton at
I75 via US319 thru Thomasville ( beautiful drive ) and Moultrie on a four lane highway. If you really want to use I75 then go from Tifton to Macon and then across to Augusta. Most of the two lane highways in central GA are good roads with very little traffic.

No problem. I am just trying to find the best route that will get me from Lake Park, GA to Augusta (Heritage RV Park). I will not be going all the way to I75. I see now that is too far. So, I am trying to find a route up from I10.



Appreciate your help knowing the roads. How is 221 all the way up? Any RV parks you recommend?
__________________
Don & Ann Wheeler:
2017 Montana 3791RD, 2017 RAM 3500 Diesel Dually, Aisin, 4.10, Sailuns, Disk Brakes, TST TPMS.
Don: USAF Ret., Fighter Pilot - Vietnam Vet '66-'67 & Ann: Ret., Texas A&M Ph.D.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #14
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Moultrie
Posts: 165
M.O.C. #20747
I'm guessing you're going to Lake Park to one of the rv dealers located there. It's only a 5 hour drive from there to Augusta so I not sure you will need a over night stop. Every small town has a Walmart, grocery store or church parking lot to take a pit stop in. We live north west of Lake Park so we would not use that route to go to Augusta. Actually, we seldom camp in Georgia as we generally are in a surrounding state after the first days travel. I guess we need to change that and start doing some local camping now that cooler temps have arrived. Hope you have a great trip and find that Georgia is more than I75/95 and Atlanta. I'm not sure what time of day Todd727 passed through I75 south of Atlanta, but I can assure you that you don't want to do that at the wrong time of day.
__________________
Frank and Marilyn
2014 3402RL, Sailun S637/Disc Brakes
2015 F350 CC LWB SRW 6.7L PSD FX4
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:10 AM   #15
awheeler
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 419
M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAinaMontana View Post
I'm guessing you're going to Lake Park to one of the rv dealers located there. It's only a 5 hour drive from there to Augusta so I not sure you will need a over night stop. Every small town has a Walmart, grocery store or church parking lot to take a pit stop in. We live north west of Lake Park so we would not use that route to go to Augusta. Actually, we seldom camp in Georgia as we generally are in a surrounding state after the first days travel. I guess we need to change that and start doing some local camping now that cooler temps have arrived. Hope you have a great trip and find that Georgia is more than I75/95 and Atlanta. I'm not sure what time of day Todd727 passed through I75 south of Atlanta, but I can assure you that you don't want to do that at the wrong time of day.

We are actually staying in Lake Park at Grassy Pond Campground. According to my maps Augusta is 4.5 - 5 hours from there. I would NOT go through Atlanta to get there. I am currently in Defuniak Springs, Florida and will be going I10, then cut up through Greenville; take 90 to Madison;145 to Clyattville; 376 to the campground. Unless anyone sees anything wrong with this route. It is country roads. I don't see and low overpasses or bridges, and the roads on Google maps look good.



I am currently planning to go from Lake Park to Perry, GA - spend the night in Perry and go on in to August the next day. Still looking at routes from Perry to Augusta.
__________________
Don & Ann Wheeler:
2017 Montana 3791RD, 2017 RAM 3500 Diesel Dually, Aisin, 4.10, Sailuns, Disk Brakes, TST TPMS.
Don: USAF Ret., Fighter Pilot - Vietnam Vet '66-'67 & Ann: Ret., Texas A&M Ph.D.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×