Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2015, 02:49 AM   #1
gmseller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13873
Living in my Montana

We have always had a dream about either long timing or full timing someday. Of course like most I imagine , when you think about doing it the thought becomes scary as how to pay for it. Without a good pension you only have what you have been able to save away for 401K and such. In my case it seems like that will never be enough. Recently a new idea has been presented to us and i cant get it out of my head. Since i cant afford to travel all over the country like i would love to I would be happy just going somewhere warm in the winter.

We live in western NY and the winters have been ridiculous lately and I want out. I have a daughter married and living here and another daughter moving to Clear Water Fl for a few years ( maybe more ). My wife and I would like to winter near her and come back to NY in the summer. The only way i could afford to try this is to sell my house so i leave debt free ( except normal bills ) I would have to work still both here and there to pay for this.

I know there are people are here that do this, I have been reading tons of full timing blogs and working on spread sheets and budgets. My wife is on board but like me we both have those really scary moments when we think ARE WE FREAKING CRAZY!
I guess i am just wondering if any of you have ever had regrets about going for it or am i crazy.

Thanks Tim

gmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:54 AM   #2
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We are from Western Pa we new that eventually as we got older our goal was to be in Florida. So we purchased a home in Florida sold our home in Pittsburgh. May through Oct we spend in a Campground at a permanent site just North of Pittsburgh.$1800.00 per season plus Electric. We just winterize and leave on site. We get to see friends and family all summer mid Oct we head South to Paradise. Many winter in Florida with their RV and still maintain a home up North we have did the opposite works for us. We purchased our Home in Florida in 2010 the value has increased by 25%
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:09 AM   #3
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Tim,

We had the sticks and bricks and sold everything back in 2012 and have been fulltiming ever since and loving it. The key as you mentioned is to be debt free. We are workamping while we travel so we spend extended time in those areas. We have also wintered in NY state and although it is tough it can be done.
This past winter we stayed in Quartzsite, AZ until March and are now in Livingston, Texas until May when we set out for Custer, SD to work at Crazy Horse Memorial.
You can do it...just keep planning!

Safe travels.

Les and Sue
Old 04-03-2015, 04:22 AM   #4
gmseller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13873
Thanks for the responses , what i am contemplating is being able to live in it all year round. We have a seasonal site here in NY thats where we camp all summer, its a cheap place to stay and we have many friends here. We love the campground but if we sell the house to afford this we have to really downsize as you know. I guess my biggest worry is living year around in my camper and then getting health insurance since i will have to quit the job i have now. I am just turning 50 so cant apply for Medicare or whichever one it is. I have to do more research for health insurance
Old 04-03-2015, 04:23 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We do a similar thing. Sold everything and live in the rig. Much cheaper to live this way particularly if you can spend some time off the grid. Insurance, property tax and a lot of other expenses are minimized. We also work for US Fish and Wildlife part of every year. They get three days a week and we get free camping and utilities. Other government agencies also offer similar deals. Go to volunteer.gov, register and you can see jobs all over the country. What they are asking and what they are offering.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:03 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We long time as we kept our S&B in Northern Ohio and spend some of the summer there. People full time in all brands all price ranges.
This is just My opinion based on some experience .No matter what any brand marketing says these Rv's are NOT residences they are RV's. They are not built or designed as a residence or for using them as a residence. Some are better than others better insulation, heated water lines, heated underbelly. We stay in moderate climate all year round so we are not affected by extreme heat or extreme cold.

This is our second Montana and we have to date @ 80/85K miles traveled combined since 2006 . Problems... sure but we work our way through them and Keystone has been good to us in helping out.

Yes you can do it and it is a great lifestyle. The Montana which I consider a mid range RV will serve you well. Just take the marketing like "designed for full time living" and "artic package" for what they are.....Marketing.

Lot prices in Florida are still a good investment at a still reasonable price. We winter in a place called Deer creek Rv and Golf resort which is a RV condo association near Disney world. MOC couple just paid under 25K for a improved lot just around the corner from us. There are more improved lot for somewhat more.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:38 AM   #7
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
if you aren't going to move a lot then you will have lower costs. in the summer when we start moving we can end up with a fuel bill of nearly $500 or more a month.

we eat out more than we should and our monthly costs can run into $4-5K a month. it just depends on what you want to do.

if you go fulltime look at the states like SD, TX and FL where they have mail services and you can avoid state income taxes.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Been fulltming for 4 years now and never been happier,we did the same thing sold our house and everything in it and With some of the money we bought into a membership only resort for 7K and stay at Awesome quiet resorts zero dollars a month in the Summer(we have to move to another resort every 3 weeks) but and in the fall and winter(OFF PEAK)we pay 160.00 a month and stay there till peak season and then travel around to all of our resorts in the Summer Again for free or some are 10 dollars a night....Cheap living
Old 04-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes travel is expensive as diesel fuel cost are high. It will cost us @ 350.00 in diesel for the 1200 miles trip home. We are planning a @4K mile trip this summer and the fuel cost will be @ 1100.00 alone. Our fuel and travel cost are low during the winter as we are on our Florida lot for 6 months then increase during the summer depending on our travel plans but over the 12 month period sort of averages out. You will surprised at what you can do with the finances you have available.

Our 6 months in Florida and 6 months at the S&B or on the road works for us as bigskyjimmy's plan works for him. You will find a plan that works for you.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:14 AM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Just my opinion: If you have to worry about having enough money perhaps you should work a little longer. Nothing would be more miserable then to be retired and worrying about having enough money to live on. When I retired I didn't want to just exist I wanted to experience the things I didn't have time for when working. Unfortunately those things require $$$. Also, don't count on health care cost to be fixed. Jim
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gmseller

Thanks for the responses , what i am contemplating is being able to live in it all year round. We have a seasonal site here in NY thats where we camp all summer, its a cheap place to stay and we have many friends here. We love the campground but if we sell the house to afford this we have to really downsize as you know. I guess my biggest worry is living year around in my camper and then getting health insurance since i will have to quit the job i have now. I am just turning 50 so cant apply for Medicare or whichever one it is. I have to do more research for health insurance
Old 04-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #11
gmseller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13873
Thanks Jim, my goal here isnt retirement its to actually live in the Camper so as I can spend time near both of my kids. Also to be able to be somewhere warm in the winter.I dont want to buy a place in Florida because i have no idea how long she will be staying there. So i wouldn't be traveling other than the trip there and back once a year.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #12
andylparish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17188
We are thinking about buying a piece of property in Florida with utilities on it and use it for a winter base for our rv. Then all we pay are the taxes on raw land and utilities while we are there. Then you still have the property to sell if you don't go anymore. Anyone else doing this and what are the pitfalls?
Mountain Home, Arkansas
andylparish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Lot rentals here in this part of Florida are all over the place but a nice C.G for the winter can be had for 650 850 per month on a 6 month rental. Some including utilities some not. Near the coast much more.

You can get a seasonal job at Disneyworld Both Helen and I worked there. Pay is not great at @ 9.00 per hour average but it can pay for the winter.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #14
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
We lived in our fifth-wheel for 14 months before hubby retired. I can tell you, I have NEVER missed the house. I absolutely love living in our Big Sky and don't see another house in the near future. Our house was paid for and, when we sold it, we put most of the money in stock. That way, we will have the means if we do decide to get another.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #15
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We love our Montana but after 5 Months sure nice to get back to a Real Home. That is us we are all different!
We both worked to our full retirement age and do not have to work. We have friends who retired early and are having financial problems now. Just remember homes in most cases hold their value or appreciate RV Depreciate!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #16
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
My mistake. I didn't read your original post too well. Jim
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gmseller

Thanks Jim, my goal here isnt retirement its to actually live in the Camper so as I can spend time near both of my kids. Also to be able to be somewhere warm in the winter.I dont want to buy a place in Florida because i have no idea how long she will be staying there. So i wouldn't be traveling other than the trip there and back once a year.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #17
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
We're just shy of two years full timing. We love it. I do have the benefit of still working and can do it right out of the rig. Still have a steady income and health insurance. You'd be surprised how many jobs there are out there that you can do from the friendly confines of a 5er. All I need is a good internet hook-up. I check out the AT&T availability whenever we are going to stay somewhere. I actually planned on retiring this year, but won't now. I can't rationalize it right now, having evenings and weekends to do anything we want. If we want to take an extended road trip, I take a few days vacation. Again, we feel very fortunate to have our situation, but I will say again, there are many job opportunities out there that would fit the life of full timers.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are like Kdeiss. We can't wait to get in the Montana and head south for the winter and right now we are anxious to get back to the very spacious S&B. We call it having the best of both worlds. Both Helen and I agreed that the full time life style not for us although we spend 9 months or more in the Montana. We just like to spread-out every once in awhile.Every time we walk back in the S&b we can't believe how big it is.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #19
gmseller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13873
I would love to find a job that i could do from the 5 er such as something online, that would be the best scenario but i havent found one of those yet.
We are just looking for a simpler kind of lifestyle rather than the grinding 60 hour work weeks and never getting a head. Just a little freedom and opportunity to be south in winter. The only way I can afford that is to sell my home and start debt free. Does anyone know where to shop for medical insurance that would work in both states
Old 04-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #20
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I think medical insurance is based around population of each state, so for over six months in florida, you could make that home and the basis of health care ins. With either hmo or ppo. Ppo could cost more than hmo...but it allows for more than just emergency coverage when outside your normal area. John