Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2023, 05:36 PM   #1
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Pretty Places

I showed a picture of the Peaks of Otter motor lodge on the Blueridge Parkway to a friend in Dubois Wyoming he said ‘any place in Wyoming is prettier than any place in Virginia’. Wyoming a beautiful state. I love the majestic mountains and the wide open prairie where you can see for miles. I’ve had people tell me they didn’t like to go through Kansas. It was all the same. Miles of corn and wheat fields. I happen to love big corn and wheat fields with a giant green and yellow tractor working. Nothing prettier.
I think the prettiest place in Virginia is Burks Garden. Imagine a giant bowl with 28,000 acres of rolling farmland in the bottom with mountains surrounding it. It’s so nice George Vanderbilt wonted to build the Builtmore there but couldn’t buy it. The farmers wouldn’t sell. The people there call it Vanderbilt’s first choice.
What is the prettiest place where you live?

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 11:02 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Do you mean only in the USA? LOL. I just got back from Germany - Bavarian Alps by Garmish-Partenkirchen(sp?). Mountains only 9800 feet, but valleys are about 1/4 to 1 1/2 miles across surrounded by peaks that just go straight up.
I don't suppose you think the Union Pass area is pretty nice tho! LOL I haven't been back up there for several years, but stayed a few days last summer in Dubois and plan on maybe a week this next summer.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 07:59 AM   #3
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I spent a career in the Army....too many beautiful places to list all of them. Also, a few where you couldn't pay me enough to live there!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:07 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
That is exactly what I was hoping for just never thought about places you couldn’t take your camper. Out of the way places that aren’t on the tourist maps that aren’t tourist traps. Places that only the locals know about. Not everyone would like the Shirley Basin Wy where I can go and be several miles away from a road. There are a lot of members here that would enjoy a place like Union Pass where you can go to see every game species of Wyoming without standing in line. Where you can enjoy the solitude of fishing a cold mountain trout stream or a 40 acre lake.
Lynwood
Old 12-03-2023, 10:35 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, if you are talking about any place in the world we've been, than I have to say the most amazing thing I've ever seen was the view of the Dead Sea from the Qumran Caves in Israel.

In Indiana, a simple corn field can be spectacular. It's all a mater of one's perception:

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:10 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
In the rural areas, there are beautiful places in every state I have visited. And North Dakota and Nebraska are the only two I have yet to visit. Whether it is mountain vistas or the Great Plains, the coastal areas, deserts, forests, or wide open farmland, they are all beautiful in their own way.

But if I had to pick one area it would be the various lakes between Banff and Jasper. The colors of the water set against that background are awesome.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 01:45 PM   #7
Jay & Bobbie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32306
Living in North Carolina has provided access to the most beautiful and diverse landscapes imaginable.
That being said, standing on the back porch looking over the creek into the forest often seeing deer and other wildlife is hard to beat.
Still, making memories around the world is a joy and blessing.
Jay & Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 03:01 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
That is exactly what I was hoping for just never thought about places you couldn’t take your camper. Out of the way places that aren’t on the tourist maps that aren’t tourist traps. Places that only the locals know about. Not everyone would like the Shirley Basin Wy where I can go and be several miles away from a road. There are a lot of members here that would enjoy a place like Union Pass where you can go to see every game species of Wyoming without standing in line. Where you can enjoy the solitude of fishing a cold mountain trout stream or a 40 acre lake.
Lynwood
Lynwood - is there a park or somewhere in Shirley Basin you camp? Looking at a map, as best as I can figure it must be boondocking. Satellite view on Google looks like a lot of dry, plains type scenery.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 03:40 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Lynwood - is there a park or somewhere in Shirley Basin you camp? Looking at a map, as best as I can figure it must be boondocking. Satellite view on Google looks like a lot of dry, plains type scenery.

It’s always boondocking in all 440,000 acres of the Shirley Basin. What you are probably looking at is the old trailer park. That will get you over a mile off the road and is easy traveling. We generally camp a couple miles to the south and off to the right side of the road but we have camped in the ghost town trailer park. They mined uranium in the Shirley Basin until about 1960 the trailer park was abandoned after that. It’s fun to look through. You can see where the kids rode their bikes and put their foot prints in the fresh concrete.
It makes a great place to kick back for a few days.
If you look about 2 miles south on Google on the other side of the road and about a mile off the road you will find a small pond. We go past that where there is a small prairie dog town. It’s maybe 50 acres.
Lynwood
Old 12-03-2023, 04:50 PM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay & Bobbie View Post
Living in North Carolina...
Agree with you 100%. I've camp hosted at Pilot Mountain State Park twice now and returning again in 2024, stayed at several NC State Parks over the years, and also stayed at several private campgrounds too. I lived in NC from 1979 to 1981 South of Morganton, NC, off of Highway 64, off of Conley Road. It was a fantastic experience. The mountains of NC are fabulous. And pretty much, any spot one sets their foot is a remarkable view.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 04:31 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Born raised and spent nearly my whole life here in Nebraska and to some folks it's a boring trip across our great State. It is IF you stay on I-80 and don't get off it to see the wonders of our beautiful State. We range from rolling hills in the Eastern part of the State to flat lands in the Central and to rolling sandhills and introduction to the Rocky Mountains in the Western part of our State. One needs to get off the Interstate to see what the REAL Nebraska is like and visit our many wonders across the State to really enjoy your time here. We are a four season State and each season is so much different. The winters are cold and the summers are HOT and humid so be prepared for any changes. You can be wearing a winter coat in the morning and a pair of shorts in the afternoon at time also. They say if you don't like the weather just wait a few hours and it will change. I invite you to see our State closeup and experience the wonders we possess. As the saying goes -- Nebraska The Good Life -- and it is IF you just slow down and enjoy it!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 07:41 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Nebraska boring? NO!!!
Get off the D Interstate.
Lynwood
Old 12-12-2023, 07:49 AM   #13
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
I grew up in Missouri, but my parents both grew up on farms in Nebraska, and my whole family was there when I was a kid. So I am quite familiar with Nebraska being "The Good Life!" On road trips to visit relatives, seeing those signs as we entered Nebraska on the interstate always brought me a little joy. I even liked the smell as we drove past the stockyards in Omaha--my grandpa said "It smells like money." Where did my grandpa live? "On Easy Street."
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 08:30 AM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by newowneroldmontana View Post
I grew up in Missouri, but my parents both grew up on farms in Nebraska, and my whole family was there when I was a kid. So I am quite familiar with Nebraska being "The Good Life!" On road trips to visit relatives, seeing those signs as we entered Nebraska on the interstate always brought me a little joy. I even liked the smell as we drove past the stockyards in Omaha--my grandpa said "It smells like money." Where did my grandpa live? "On Easy Street."
Easy Street wasn’t where we grew up. It was on Poor Mountain Road.
Lynwood
Old 12-12-2023, 09:28 AM   #15
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Easy Street wasn’t where we grew up. It was on Poor Mountain Road.
Lynwood
Yeah, I grew up a long way from Easy Street myself--and it wasn't until I was an adult and trying to figure out exactly where my mother grew up that I realized my grandpa was joking! I didn't see my grandparents very often or know them very well, but I know my grandpa had a great sense of humor. I still laugh every time I see a ceiling fan, because once when I was a kid and maybe four feet tall, my grandpa was standing next to me when he nudged me and pointed at the ceiling fan in the room, then warned me to be careful walking under it so I didn't get my head cut off. Those ceiling fans will get you.
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 08:52 AM   #16
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I am partial to mountains, so here is my brief list:
(can't figure how to resize - sorry)
1) Fish Creek Wildlife Observation site near Hyder AK
2) Yellowstone River Canyon
3)Salmon Glacier near Hyder
4)Tetons across lake (most snow I have ever seen in many trips)
5) Sorry, but this was fun - Diamond Gerties in Dawson Creek, YK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	16112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0379.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	16113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4529.jpg