Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
MORryde LRE Suspension

I am in the process of replacing the shear springs on my 2008 3400RL MORryde LRE suspension, they are pretty well shot, have large splits on both sides of the rubber. Way overdue.

Anyone that has replaced these rubber shear springs, was there a noticeable difference in the ride of the fifth wheel. Mine sure seems to bounce a lot more then it used too . Hopefully replacing these rubber shear springs will improve the ride. My leaf springs seem to be in good shape, and still have what seems the same arch they have always had.

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
LDMoore06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13418
I only replaced one side after the first year. Had a blow out with the famous Marathon tires. The repair company jacked my unit by the suspension spring area. Huh. I didn’t notice until during a short trip, I saw a rub. Replaced that spring and of course ride was better. Best I remember it was easy to change with very good instructions.
LDMoore06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #3
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDMoore06 View Post
I only replaced one side after the first year. Had a blow out with the famous Marathon tires. The repair company jacked my unit by the suspension spring area. Huh. I didn’t notice until during a short trip, I saw a rub. Replaced that spring and of course ride was better. Best I remember it was easy to change with very good instructions.
Thanks, I have had them pretty much undone when I installed the wet bolt kit, it appears its just a matter of removing the four bolts from each side. I know I have seen instructions for removing them, but I have yet to find it.

Right now that fifth wheel does not ride well, but those shear springs are shot.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I'm thinking mine may be about ready to replace, but haven't really taken a good look to see if there are any splits etc.

Mine is a 2011 so the rubber isn't as old as yours, but environmental conditions and usage play a big part in their longevity too.

I'm planning on adding a shock absorber setup (not sure which one yet) to see if that helps the ride... probably at the same time I swap over to disc brakes.

Nice to hear that the shear spring rubber is not too hard to change out...

I've wondered if something like a Sulastic shackle would help our 5ers ride better...?
Old 04-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #5
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddy View Post
I'm thinking mine may be about ready to replace, but haven't really taken a good look to see if there are any splits etc.

Mine is a 2011 so the rubber isn't as old as yours, but environmental conditions and usage play a big part in their longevity too.

I'm planning on adding a shock absorber setup (not sure which one yet) to see if that helps the ride... probably at the same time I swap over to disc brakes.

Nice to hear that the shear spring rubber is not too hard to change out...

I've wondered if something like a Sulastic shackle would help our 5ers ride better...?

I have considered shocks also, only issue is I will have to weld some upper brackets for them. Will see how the new shear springs will do, I'm thinking they are most of my issue.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
[QUOTE=PSFORD99;1138740]I am in the process of replacing the shear springs on my 2008 3400RL MORryde LRE suspension, they are pretty well shot, have large splits on both sides of the rubber. Way overdue.

How deep were your splits on your rubber? Mine are about 1/2 in which I don't think is serious as they haven't changed in the last few years.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #7
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
[QUOTE=Lenny K;1138995]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I am in the process of replacing the shear springs on my 2008 3400RL MORryde LRE suspension, they are pretty well shot, have large splits on both sides of the rubber. Way overdue.

How deep were your splits on your rubber? Mine are about 1/2 in which I don't think is serious as they haven't changed in the last few years.

According to MORryde , 3/4" deep ,and 3" long. Mine are split the entire width of the rubber both sides of the shear spring, hard to tell how deep, they say use a putty knife, but mine the splits are so wide its kind of hard to tell how deep . Its not a matter of pushing into the split. I would have to put a straight edge across the rubber ,and measure. They are pretty bad.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
What exactly are 'shear springs'? Is it the thing that the springs attach to in the middle of the tires?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
What exactly are 'shear springs'? Is it the thing that the springs attach to in the middle of the tires?
Yes, they are a MORryde product, its the middle attachment between the springs, its a metal bracket with rubber shear springs in them , that the end of the springs attach too.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #10
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
I had to have the rubber blocks replaced last year. Actually I had MorRyde send me a free set, because the previous set were toast in 2 years. The shop that replaced the rubber blocks also told me the suspension was worn out, so I had a new suspension put in.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #11
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post

These are shear springs used in the MorRyde LRE suspension, new and old. The LRE suspension is really an equalizer between the front and rear leaf springs but it also adds more movement up and down to absorb road imperfections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old and new rubber springs.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	492.4 KB
ID:	3465  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #12
DanandBrenda
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21176
I had to replace one shear spring on mine last year it tore off of the metal backing. MoRyde sent me a new one overnight. Was going to replace it at the next campground. But on the way shear spring caused the axle to move out of alignment. We had a blow out due to excessive tire wear. Changed the tire on the shoulder of the road and had shear spring replaced at truck repair place in Kingman AZ. bought two new tires in the morning and continued on our way home.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #13
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I'm thinking that since mine are at least 8 years old, I'm gonna go ahead and replace them whether they are badly split or not. With the "beating" they take on rough roads, they are probably due to be replaced any way just due to time....
Old 04-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #14
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandBrenda View Post
I had to replace one shear spring on mine last year it tore off of the metal backing. MoRyde sent me a new one overnight. Was going to replace it at the next campground. But on the way shear spring caused the axle to move out of alignment. We had a blow out due to excessive tire wear. Changed the tire on the shoulder of the road and had shear spring replaced at truck repair place in Kingman AZ. bought two new tires in the morning and continued on our way home.
Its a wonder anything survives on highway 93, Thats where I had a Sailun tire failure . Its a wonder my shear springs survived , and didn't split entirely in half, although they are split pretty deep both sides of the rubber .
Old 04-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #15
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
I'm thinking that since mine are at least 8 years old, I'm gonna go ahead and replace them whether they are badly split or not. With the "beating" they take on rough roads, they are probably due to be replaced any way just due to time....
Mine will be 12 years old this fall, there is a criteria to check them, they show signs of surface cracks pretty early in their age, but thats okay.

I also found a website with decent prices on them. I found prices anywhere from where I bought them for 77.22 ea to $161 ea. MORryde being middle of the road , can't remember exactly , but like $130 ea. Part # for the 7K axles are 108-020.
I bought from rvautoparts.com.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #16
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
Mine will be 12 years old this fall, there is a criteria to check them, they show signs of surface cracks pretty early in their age, but thats okay.

I also found a website with decent prices on them. I found prices anywhere from where I bought them for 77.22 ea to $161 ea. MORryde being middle of the road , can't remember exactly , but like $130 ea. Part # for the 7K axles are 108-020.
I bought from rvautoparts.com.
Wow...quite a price spread. So our Montana axles are 7k? Or is it model specific...can't remember what mine are.

I have used that website with good results before!

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #17
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Wow...quite a price spread. So our Montana axles are 7k? Or is it model specific...can't remember what mine are.

I have used that website with good results before!

Thanks for the info!

Ya, I don't get that price spread at all. Customer service was great ,I talked to them before ordering, to get reassured of what I was getting. I have them now, and they are what I ordered .

As far as I know most of the Montana's are 7K , older ones were 6K, but I don't believe any are 6K anymore. Even mine being a 2008 is 7K. The shear springs are axle specific . All I have seen is three different numbers for the LRE suspension shear springs. I am assuming for 6,7,8K axles, the middle number 108-020 is for the 7K.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #18
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
Ya, I don't get that price spread at all. Customer service was great ,I talked to them before ordering, to get reassured of what I was getting. I have them now, and they are what I ordered .

As far as I know most of the Montana's are 7K , older ones were 6K, but I don't believe any are 6K anymore. Even mine being a 2008 is 7K. The shear springs are axle specific . All I have seen is three different numbers for the LRE suspension shear springs. I am assuming for 6,7,8K axles, the middle number 108-020 is for the 7K.
I know I've looked up the axle rating on my 3850rl before but couldn't remember if it was a 7 or 8k.
I'm not finding just the rubber spring listed on the sited you mentioned. Sounds like maybe you had to call them to order just part you needed.
That price is very low...
Old 04-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #19
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
I know I've looked up the axle rating on my 3850rl before but couldn't remember if it was a 7 or 8k.
I'm not finding just the rubber spring listed on the sited you mentioned. Sounds like maybe you had to call them to order just part you needed.

Google just MORryde shear spring, go to the bottom of that first page, and you will see "searches related to MORryde shear springs" click on the bottom left one PT108020, it will bring up another page with more websites, and you will see PT 108020 and below it the rvautoparts link, and go from there.

As far as 7 or 8K , look on that sticker drivers side front, it will tell you .
Old 04-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #20
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Looking at your weights online, pretty sure you have 7K axles, your GVWR is also probably the same as mine 15,500.