Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
How does one know?

We have an 07 3485SA with mor/ryde suspension. In some of the literature Keystone refers to

We have a 3485SA with morryde suspension. Some of the literature says it has EZ lube axles. In other places, the literature mentions ultralube.

I found some AL-KO literature also. How does one know which is installed AL-KO ultralube or EZ lube dexters? Also, how does one know what the pound rates per axle are?
Thanks,
LCarter

lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

Axle rating is stamped into the axle tube, you just need to crawl underneath and have a look.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Or a wrap around tag is on each axle with that info...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
You will also find the manufacturer there as well. I think Montana has been using mostly Dexter. They used Alco earlier.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our 2007 also came with both Alko and Dexter manuals. I think that time period was when they were switching over from Alko to Dexter. So, my guess is rather than try to time the switch in manuals to when they ran out of Alko axles and started installing Dexter, they just decided to supply both manuals. I had to crawl under and look at that tag to figure out for sure ours are the Dexter axles.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Our 2007 also came with both Alko and Dexter manuals. I think that time period was when they were switching over from Alko to Dexter. So, my guess is rather than try to time the switch in manuals to when they ran out of Alko axles and started installing Dexter, they just decided to supply both manuals. I had to crawl under and look at that tag to figure out for sure ours are the Dexter axles.
I had the same experience. It did not give me much confidence in Keystone...as if they did not know which axles were on my rig.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Thanks for the input.
I crawled under the trailer and discovered that the stickers say Dexter. They stuck them on the high side of the axle, dead center the axle. I couldn't get a good look at the whole sticker. While I was under I noticed a brake wire was broken on the curbside rear. I guess I've got to get that worked out. We are planning a 6 month trip starting next month. Time is important.
Thanks for all the oomments.
LCarter
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
LCarter, I had to use a hand mirror and flashlight. I'm glad you discovered the broken wire now and not when you really need good brakes.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
On my rig there is a label at the front driver's side corner of the rig that includes the weight ratings of the rig. The label also has a line that states I have 6000 lb axles.

No one else above has mentioned this location. Is this accurate? Do I really have 6000 lb axles? The label doesn't state who made the axles, but I recall there was an axle manual in my set of documents for the rig. I guess I will have to get the books out and see what I can find.

I hate crawling under the rig to find things. There has got to be an easier way.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In 2006 Montanas still came with 6000 lb axles on the heavier rigs like yours. It wasn't until the late 2007 models they changed to 7000 lb axles. I know because they changed just a few weeks after ours came off the line. We now have 7000 lb axles but this rig came with axles rated at 6000 lbs each.