Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
jengelkirk
Established Member

M.O.C. #8140
Toilet Stopped Up

On a recent camping trip our toilet got stopped up - not to the point of a mess, but could tell "stuff" wasn't going down into the tank. Went out and bought a "snake" and thought we had it fixed. The first time, of course, we were not at a full-hook up site so it was a bit difficult flushing the black tank. Guess we didn't get all of the clog the first time, so the second time, fortunately, we were at a full-hook up site that made it a lot easier. We think there was a clog in the pipes to the tank - the snake seemed to go farther down. No problem after that - at least yet. We now pour extra water in the toilet with each flush and keep the snake handy. Anybody else experienced this happening? Anything else we should do?

Thanks.

jengelkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sorry to hear about your trouble.

In many years of RVing, we have (knock on wood) NOT had this trouble.

But, we practice, ALL the time, no matter what kind of facilities we have:

Less paper, More water.

Lightly used paper does NOT go in the toilet.

That is the standing rule, and to date, it has not let us down.

Hopefully you have the situation under control.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Water, water,water, proper paper. Since we are almost always at a full hook up site we do not treat the RV toilet any different than the stick house toilet. We start out with 1/4 of a tank of water and use lots of water each flush. We will dump every day if necessary..must take a entire 15 mins per day to do that. We have never had a blockage in any Rv . Use LOTS of water.it is easy to dump..not pleasent to snake or have a backup.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

What I would suggest is to do a "different toilet papers in a glass of water" test. First go and buy some Angel Soft toilet paper, fill two glasses of water and put in an equal number of squares of toilet paper. In one glass, put 8 squares of the brand that you use, and in the other glass, put 8 squares of Angel Soft. Wait around for awhile and see what happens. The Angel Soft will completely disintegrate, your brand of toilet paper will probably not change much at all depending on which brand that you use. It was a real eye opener for me, to say the least! We now use Angel Soft exclusively for our 5er, and even at home, as we are on a septic tank and drain field.

As I understand it, MD toilet paper is pretty much the same paper as Angel Soft, but have not tested it myself.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We had this problem a little over a year ago. You can search for my post (it's probably archived by now) entitled "Here's what I've learned and I'm naming names". I will only use Angel Soft toilet paper. We were using Thetford and when we did the water glass test with Thetford and Angel Soft, the Thetford would not break down. The Angel Soft immediately began to dissolve. Use as much water as you can and then use more. Rinse, rinse, rinse.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Like Carol said..... LESS PAPER and MORE WATER! More water is the real key!

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Unfortunately we all have a tendency to try to "conserve" when we are camping. We seem to have (at least I did) an aversion to putting too much water into the black water tank because we didn't want to have to move to dump while we were camping. But as everyone else has already said, "More water is better than less." As Icehouse said, the type of toilet paper has a lot to do with it also. We too, found that Angel Soft toilet paper was the best for us. When we dump our black water tank we NEVER see any shred of toilet paper exiting through our clear sewer elbow. Before we started using Angel Soft we always saw remnants of toilet paper exiting.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jengelkirk

............ We now pour extra water in the toilet with each flush and keep the snake handy. .....
Are you actually pouring water into the commode with a pitcher or something?
On ours (and I think most others) you can raise the foot pedal up with your toe and it will let more water into the bowl. I always do that before I do a ... well you know.
It also helps keep the bowl cleaner.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
All the above.

Also, one tip I received or read is when dumping, fill a 3-5 gallon bucket, or just fill the bowl with water up to the rim and power flush it. Do this two to 3 times. I usually have DW do it while I watch the clear outlet flow. I was amazed at what I saw the first time I did it. Now it is much reduced. When I back flush, I will close the black valve and run the back flush for 1 minute, minimum, the dump. I do this a couple of times until I see almost clear to clear water running through the see through elbow. Then I close the valve and let the back flush run for a full 30 seconds to keep some fluid in the tank.

I use one packet of sanitizer and one to two cap fulls of Calgon water softener. It seems to help my tank clean easier.

Everyone may have a different way, so whatever works for you is the best way.

Good luck
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Wayne - Those clear extensions are great. You can really see what is going on and when it is actually fully drained. I do pretty much what you do with the black tank flush attachment. And even after 2-3 back flushes, there will still be bits of solid go down.
And the "power flush" is a great idea. I will have to give that a try.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Angel Soft here also. I do not dump everyday as I think it helps to fill tank with a lot of water, usually every 4 - 5 days. I will dump, then close valve and backflush for 2 minutes, then dump with flush running for one minute, then repeat at least two more times. Last, run one minute of water in tank. Another thing DW does is wash dishes in a tub and then pours soapy water down the toilet. I bought a 360 degree veturi exhaust vent today from CW and will install it tomorrow. I do notice an odor ocasionally. I like Waynem's power flush system. Will try that the next time I flush....BTW No problems as yet.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think that if you did some experimentation you would find that other brands of TP labeled "septic tank safe" or "approved for septic tank use" do just as well as angel soft. The secret is a lot of water. Most all of the "septic tank" safe brands will dissolve in water in a very short time.(Angel soft is fast tho) I have never been able to figure out why the notion that one has to use a small amount of water in the black tank lingers on. Perhaps a notion left over from long ago when tanks were very small and boon docking was common. We will let the black tank fill nearly full then dump using the downward force of the water to push things out. Don't forget the galley tank...that one can get nasty also. We had a full timer two slots down from us in Florida who had the dreaded pyramid. They had been full timers 10 years and never learned about the care of the black tank.????
Old 05-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Has anyone tried Scotts RV toilet paper? I've tried it, seems to work OK. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:52 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sure we use scotts and other brands on a regular basis. As long as it is labled "septic tank safe" Do the glass of water test and give it a chance to work..
Old 05-02-2009, 04:22 AM   #15
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I pretty much do the same thing Waynem does,If you really get bored some day try this.Run the rinse till the water runs clear(you have to have a clear elbow on the dump valve to view)and dump a 5-gal pale of water down the toilet and see what come out.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #16
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
We use the same "Quilted Northern" double rolls we use at home in the RV. Based on always starting with some water in the Black Tank, GEO Method treatment (some Laundry Detergent and Calgon Water Softener), a Thetford drop-in packet and dumping when full, my clear extension always has tiny little flecks of TP flowing through it. Even when the water coming out the Black Tank is virtually clear (periodic robust cleaning/lengthy flushing)there are still a few tiny flecks of TP to be seen. Maybe they're coating the drain plumbing. Anyhow, so far no problems. DW appreciates the comforts of home!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #17
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I haven't seen that anyone that has answered has mentioned having rotating vents on the black water tank vent. We have one on both the black and grey water tanks. Since I installed them I haven't needed or used any chemicals and I haven't had any blockages either. Those things work! Also, I use TP that is labeled for RV/Marine use or safe for septic tanks. No problems yet. Been doing this for over three years. Normally I'm not real skimpy with water but when boondocking I am. Hope this helps.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have one of those rotating vents on the black tank vent.Had it since nearly day one. I did not know it had anything to do with blockages or not using chemicals??? How does it accomplish that????
Old 08-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You may have the "dreaded pyramid" of "material," both paper and waste, built up below the tank inlet, blocking off the inlet. We had this caused by prep for a colonoscopy. During the prep I used too much paper for the amount of water I used. We unclogged it using a water hose with a high pressure nozzle to blast the pyramid. We then got some tissue digester from our rv dealer and followed the directions exactly. The digester takes a few days to finish its work but we had no more trouble after that.

We also like and use Angel Soft. BUT, we like the double roll. I DO NOT LIKE the megaroll. That feels like sandpaper to me. So, it's the double roll for us. I haven't tried the single roll or whatever they call it.

As an aside, for the next colonoscopy prep we got a hotel room and punished their plumbing instead of ours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Steve, your posts are not for the weak of stomach. And my wife complains of my TMI explanations...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote