Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > House Keeping
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
All in one RV Washer Dryer

Does anyone have this unit in there Rig. How well does it work.
what about adding fabric softner or dryer sheets.

jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Ann just got a used one from Bill and Helen.
She likes it better then going to laundry. Actually she is grinning from ear to ear about it.
There are instructions for stopping after the wash cycle, opening the locked door, and adding dryer sheets.
You can download their manual from the web and read the instructions.
Ours is the Splendide 2100.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Our unit is new so we haven't used the Splendide very much but the DW loves it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The plus to the combined unit is that it takes up less space. The negative is that you can't wash and dry at the same time, which is possible with the stacked units. The stacked will take more room though. We have been using our stacked units for 4 years, 2 years with Kenmore and now 2 years with Splendide Ariston, and find them to be satisfactory. We like the Splendide Ariston much better.

However, adjustments have to be made. The RV W/D will hold smaller loads than your stick house washer. 110 volt current dries clothing more slowly. Dianna washes about 3 times a week. She really prefers that to taking a big load to the laundry once a week. Of course, she can do a load any time, early or late.

Just a word about operation. The newer machines have a greater variety of possibilities than the older ones, so Dianna put the instruction sheet in a clear plastic cover and keeps it atop the machines for ease of access.

Big question is whether we would do it again. The answer is absolutely. For full timing, we see it as a necessity, not a luxury.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
dannykaren
Established Member

M.O.C. #7076
I have the Spendide 2100 and love it. The circuit board went out on it after 2 years of continuous use. I have been without it for 2 weeks and have had to go to the laundry mat. Hopefully the new circuit board will be installed today. Even though I have to wash small loads I don't mind. Some laundry mat washers leave a smell on my clothes that I don't like.
dannykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:41 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have the combo unit. Another plus is that you can put in a load, set it to wash AND dry, forget it, and come back later to a load of clean dry clothes.
You can add softner, but not dryer sheets if I remember the instructions correctly.
Splendide Tips
Edit: After checking the above link and the fabric softener tips, it says NEVER use the fabric softener sheets.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
I have the splendide combo and I love it. It cleans just as well as any other washer I have used, and it seems to be gentler on my clothes at the same time.

I thought I wouldn't like that I had to do smaller loads at a time AND that it takes twice as long to do a load from wash to dry as it would with a stacked set, but I've found that it is all in the timing and frequency. Turns out, the combo ended being perfect for me because it does not allow me to wash bigger loads than I can handle in one day, thus preventing a build up of "I don't feel like hanging it right now" laundry - which is BAD in small spaces like this! So I just made a habit of putting a load in before I go to bed, and filling the soap and softener bins, then in the morning all I have to do is push the on and start buttons on my way out of the room and after I have eaten breakfast, taken care of the dogs, cleaned a bit and spent some time checking email, it's ready to be hung up and since it's small it only takes me 5 to 10 minutes to put it all away.

And that's my laundry chore for the day. If you do this every day you never need to do more than one a day. Since it's just me, I only need to do it every other day. You also find needing a bigger washer isn't necessary, nor a faster cycle. If you just take a few minutes out of your day every day to keep on top of laundry, you won't miss a separate set either. And, you end up saving hours a month at the laundromat to spend on doing other things, like cleaning.

Not to mention the money savings. If you spend a lot of time or live in your RV and do a lot of laundry, it will eventually pay for itself in what it saves you in quarters at the laundromat. I actually did the math. I spent about 10 a week at the laundromat while it was being repaired. That's 40 a month for laundry! Since I paid 800 for the W/D when I bought the RV, it will pay for itself in 20 weeks, or 5 months. I have one month to go, 2 if you count the month I was without it while it was at the shop (didn't break, just thought it did) and I will have saved enough of what I spent at the laundromat on a normal washday (wearing myself out in the process) to pay for the machine.
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Do the math again. $40.00 a month =20 months for $800.00 not 20 WEEKS.
BTW DW says she spends a lot less than $10.00 a week.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

Do the math again. $40.00 a month =20 months for $800.00 not 20 WEEKS.
BTW DW says she spends a lot less than $10.00 a week.
Ha, I suck at math. LOL Dang. There's one bubble burst, hehe. Ah well, 2 years will fly by before I know it.

My health and transportation issues limit me to only 2 choices in laundromats, both of which are among the 3 most expensive in the CITY... And I plan to live here for several years. It's ridiculous that they charge 2 dollars per LOAD and 1.50 to dry, I know. But what can ya do. One of them is the run down laundry room in the park I live in, with no heat or A/C and it's not even very safe placement wise. Even cheaper laundromats, you still save money having a W/D if you are full-time or 3/4 time for a couple of years or more.
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
For us it wasn't a question of economics it was convenience. It is such a pain to find a laundromat and many of them are dirty. Many areas just don't have one close by. We have been using Splendide combo units for 12 years and wouldn't be without. They do take a little getting used to and the small drum tends to wrinkle some things, for example jeans so my wife partially dries them then take them out and hangs them to finish.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:49 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We purchased it to save money in the long run and for the convenience. I have used too many dirty washers in laundermats and since I was working at the time, didn't want to ruin my good suits. Since we live mostly in jeans and T-shirts, the combo works well for us. You have to experiment with the different settings and load sizes. And while a load takes a while, you can do a lot of other things while it is running.
Happy trails..............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:03 AM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We have the combo unit and really enjoy having it. Although we couldn’t justify the cost by how much we use it, it’s nice when we are on vacations. We used to take a whole day just to catch up on the laundry and with this unit we can go somewhere and when we get back the load is finished. We gained an extra day this way to do more things while we are traveling. We’re not sorry we bought it. The clothes seem to have a tendency to wrinkle but with smaller loads and not packing it to the limit, it will reduce that somewhat. We can stop the cycle and add dryer sheets if we want to but seldom do.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
we have the combo unit as well. Bought it slightly used from an ad on the Escapees website. We really like ours and are glad we made the purchase.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote